DIY Macro lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Someone posted in that thread that a $10 adapter is available, and probably stronger than mounting your lens to a glued-on ring.

So really, you just turn your regular lens around? 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Big_Als_London link said:
yeah I read that.  I need to try and find one for a canon rebel now.
I'm looking for an eos (probably the same).  I found an extension tube for extreme closeups.  I wonder if it's really that simple. 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
You can buy the macro rings at Henrys, and all digital canon slr rake the same lens mount also. The extension tunes lower the depth of field a ton. Jroovers went over this all before.. All my macro shots I shoot with the kit lens.. They key is a tripod and a remote shutter or use the 2sec shutter delay

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
You can buy the macro rings at Henrys, and all digital canon slr rake the same lens mount also. The extension tunes lower the depth of field a ton. Jroovers went over this all before.. All my macro shots I shoot with the kit lens.. They key is a tripod and a remote shutter or use the 2sec shutter delay

whoa whoa whoa, weren't you banned? 

jroovers

Super Active Member
I've read about this (reversing the lens) and it is possible.  I've never tried it - don't have the patience or the time.  You'll have a razor thin depth of field, but assuming you are persistent and patient, it will work.  I'd buy the adaptor ring as opposed to drilling my own lens cap - you'll likely want to replace the cap if you ever resell as opposed to try and explain to the potential buyer what is up.  I would highly suggest using a tripod and self-timer/remote while doing this, otherwise you won't get a sharp image due to shake and the very narrow depth of field.

The extension tubes are another way to go, never tried those either, but considered before getting a macro lens.  I think I would pick up these first before trying lens reversal.  If anyone attempts it, please post some pics!  ;D

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
jroovers link said:
I've read about this (reversing the lens) and it is possible.  I've never tried it - don't have the patience or the time.  You'll have a razor thin depth of field, but assuming you are persistent and patient, it will work.  I'd buy the adaptor ring as opposed to drilling my own lens cap - you'll likely want to replace the cap if you ever resell as opposed to try and explain to the potential buyer what is up.  I would highly suggest using a tripod and self-timer/remote while doing this, otherwise you won't get a sharp image due to shake and the very narrow depth of field.

The extension tubes are another way to go, never tried those either, but considered before getting a macro lens.  I think I would pick up these first before trying lens reversal.  If anyone attempts it, please post some pics!  ;D

I have a tripod, remote shutter and all, I think I might spend the few bucks and get one of these fancy schmancy adapters.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
jerry_doucette link said:
If you have money to spend just get a full blown macro lens....

I think I have one, but I have to be 2 miles in the other direction to zoom in on a coral.  I want to get real close. 

Besides, who has money to burn? 

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If you have to be 2 miles away it prob isn't macro lens. Most come in 50-150mm range. Macro lens have a short focal length so you can be close to subject and still get a focused picture.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I have a Nikon extension tube set if anyone is interested and has a Nikon dslr.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
jerry_doucette link said:
If you have to be 2 miles away it prob isn't macro lens. Most come in 50-150mm range. Macro lens have a short focal length so you can be close to subject and still get a focused picture.

It's a 75-300.  Can zoom in, but like a telescope. 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Macro lens generally don't zoom.. What's wrong with your 50mm lens?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/detail?R=163662_REG&

Prob something similar to this, and it may say its a macro but its not. One think to look at is how close you can be to the subject and still get a focused. Would be listed as minimum focal distance.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=4201.msg38467#msg38467 date=1359669862]
Macro lens generally don't zoom.. What's wrong with your 50mm lens?

Mine?  It won't get down like a magnifying glass.  I want to see the pimples on the bums of these corals.
[/quote]

At 50mm u should get down the close without any issue.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Big_Als_London link said:
Ok so what do I need to buy? Without spending a lot of money.

What's your budget?

And duke it depends on lens really. It could be a 50mm still have to stand back to get a picture that's in focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.