DIY Macro lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
jerry_doucette link said:
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=4201.msg38471#msg38471 date=1359670327]
Ok so what do I need to buy? Without spending a lot of money.

What's your budget?

And duke it depends on lens really. It could be a 50mm still have to stand back to get a picture that's in focus.
[/quote]

15 bucks lol
I would want to use something either with my 50-250 lens of the kit lens 18-55

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
jerry_doucette link said:
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=4201.msg38471#msg38471 date=1359670327]
Ok so what do I need to buy? Without spending a lot of money.

What's your budget?

And duke it depends on lens really. It could be a 50mm still have to stand back to get a picture that's in focus.
[/quote]

True... But the nifty fifty he has doesn't have that issue.. It's a super fast and crisp lens

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
034-1_zps79013ee3.jpg

Shot with the stock 18-55 ism kit lens.. At like 30mm max.. you guys know that the actual size of the photos is much bigger than a computer monitor right? Crop your photos down to size you'd be surprised when you see them at 100%.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Duke link said:
034-1_zps79013ee3.jpg

Shot with the stock 18-55 ism kit lens.. At like 30mm max.. you guys know that the actual size of the photos is much bigger than a computer monitor right? Crop your photos down to size you'd be surprised when you see them at 100%.
show off

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
More like showing than showing off... Bring your camera to work next time I make the trip and ill show u how I take photos... I have no idea if there's a proper way.. But I have an idea of what works good for me, ill maybe it could help u. You need to be shooting I am manual mode... And Imo you need to getting your white balance close on the camera.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Duke link said:
More like showing than showing off... Bring your camera to work next time I make the trip and ill show u how I take photos... I have no idea if there's a proper way.. But I have an idea of what works good for me, ill maybe it could help u. You need to be shooting I am manual mode... And Imo you need to getting your white balance close on the camera.
oh I know and am jealous of the camera skills. I also know I need to set custom white balance but it just sucks when shooting in multiple tanks. I will bring my camera next time you come for sure. Thank you.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
See I don't know how you can do a slow shutter speed, the polyps should be moving everywhere and blurry.  I find if I simply crop, it comes out grainy, and I'm at top resolution RAW + L jpeg.

Maybe the Canon eos just isn't very good.  Maybe I should be lookin' for a nicer camera.  maybe. 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
See I don't know how you can do a slow shutter speed, the polyps should be moving everywhere and blurry.  I find if I simply crop, it comes out grainy, and I'm at top resolution RAW + L jpeg.

Maybe the Canon eos just isn't very good.  Maybe I should be lookin' for a nicer camera.  maybe.

i thought the same thing.. its all in the settings, are you using Manual mode?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4201.msg38514#msg38514 date=1359679240]

[/quote]

No I leave it auto, but maybe this weekend I'll look into manual settings.  To think I used to be able to develop my own film...now can't take a decent picture lol.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=4201.msg38538#msg38538 date=1359685516]

[/quote]

No I leave it auto, but maybe this weekend I'll look into manual settings.  To think I used to be able to develop my own film...now can't take a decent picture lol.
[/quote]

manual mode is where its at.. shoot in the 1/60 to 1/250 range at iso200-400 F2 up to F8 and every where in between.. youll find out what works and what doesnt pretty quick, your little 50mm is a fast lens so lots of light gets in, at 1/250 you can freeze anything moving sharply. i posted a great link that explains everything about reef photography on M mode really well. you should check it out.

http://www.ximinasphotography.com/

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4201.msg38542#msg38542 date=1359686265]
[quote author=Duke link=topic=4201.msg38538#msg38538 date=1359685516]

[/quote]

[/quote]

manual mode is where its at.. shoot in the 1/60 to 1/250 range at iso200-400 F2 up to F8 and every where in between.. youll find out what works and what doesnt pretty quick, your little 50mm is a fast lens so lots of light gets in, at 1/250 you can freeze anything moving sharply. i posted a great link that explains everything about reef photography on M mode really well. you should check it out.

http://www.ximinasphotography.com/
[/quote]

I actually re-posted that link somewhere, I have it bookmarked, and was what I was going to use to figure out the manual settings :)

Tsk, i thought I was going to have a justification for a nice new $$$ camera!  8)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I can't believe this works.  I turned the lens around and just held it in place and I was getting really close photos.  I ordered a reverse adapter for $4 from china.  I actually got a couple of not bad ones just holding everything loosely, so if I hook it all up with the right settings and a tripod we might be cooking with gas here.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
The real downside of reversing lenses is the very small working distance, usually less than two inches.

If you get a double male filter adapter to reverse stack your 50prime onto your 300mm telemacro, you will get crazy .magnification microscope range but same working distance. I keep an old K mount 50mm for that reason.

BTW my 18-55mm yields close to 1:3.5 may but my 50mm prime is around 1:6 and a much longer minimum focus distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.