Not open for further replies.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Is this Ich?

DSC_0898.jpg

DSC_0919.jpg

If it is .. anyone have a 75 gallon tank I coudl borrow for treatment for a couple months :)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
yes.  I almost didnt have to even look at the picture to answer.... ;D

Good news is it's not too bad and he seems to be eating still.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Ya he still seems really healthy as far as eating and such. He scratches a bit, and breathes a little faster than the Yellow but nothing crazy.

So what is the best way to treat this kind of thing. From what I understand

1. The main tank needs to be fallow for 8 weeks with no fish while the fish are removed and treated with cupramine in another tank.

2.  Can use Hyposalinity for 8 weeks.

Which would be the better route if anyone has experience with it.  From the looks of it I will either be moving the Fish in number 1.  Or will have to move all the coral(not hard since they are just set on rubble) snails, crabs and RBTA for #2. 

I woudl jump all over #2 since I can cath those guys no problem but my thoughts are running along the lines of "What about the live rock die off that will ensue?"  So a question is for #2 to be successful in a Display tank, I will need to remove most of the live rock as well to avoid an ammonia spike and crash?

This is assuming treating the single fish is useless.

C

crazybizzle

just in case ur really worried, i wouldnt worry to much, u can treat him seperate if u want but i find that powder blues if taken out and put in qt for healing once its gone and u go to put him in display hell just get super stressed from moving again and get ich again they are so testy .  ive had it and as long as ur other fish are healty and good they wont get it. just feed him extra enriched good feed.  mine shows signs prob twice a year cause hes always getting scared of dumb shit, but he fights thru it and is back to normal in couple of weeks. powder blues are my fish nemisis ive lost two because they are so retarded and stress themselves to death. just my 2 cents and i know ich lasts for 8 weeks and its cycles of showing and not, but ive found that qt for me actually hurts more ive lost more sick fish due to qt then to leaving them in display..but either way good luck hope he heals up.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
If he stops eating like a pig.... what shoudl be my course of action with him and/or the tank.  Hate to loose him.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
I have to agree. Qt, especially in the case of a fish that will get ich from any sort of stress will only have a negative impact.  As long as you keep feeding him well, and keep sources of stress to a minimum, im sure he will be fine. The signs he has now im pretty sure you said he has had for awhile now, with no sign of getting worse. I would be inclined to leave him be. Just the fact that he has lasted this long with no degredation shows he is healthy and his immune system is doing what it needs to.

Seggsy

My blue hippo had a bad case when I first got him - after stressing me like crazy and lots of research, it boiled down to if I did nothing he would work through it.  I have about 12 fish in a 75g, and no one else ever got it. 

Worse was when my hydrometer (ya, I have a refractometer now) led me to up my salt to 1.035....man, he was a mess, even on his eyes.  I didn't do anything except keep the water good (after slowly getting the salinity back in line) and he's been clean for over a year.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
We shall see :) I am willing to let him go until he starts to really act funny and stop eating.. .. then I will have to take him out back and put a bullet in him. 

or treat him... it all depends if the meds are cheaper than a .22 shell.

KingTang

Where do people see ich in these pics?

I only see a bit on his fin in the second picture. Am I missing something?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I was expecting this kind of stuff.
(not my Fish)
d8bf63ca_PowderBluewithIch.jpg

Prob just not there yet with my fish

C

Camps23

I bought my PBT about 2wks ago....
He wasnt showing any signs of ich up till a few days ago. Something stressed him out now he has a mild case.
He swims and eats like crazy and everyone else is really healthy. Im soaking his nori in garlic extract and he is already clearing up.
I knew when I bought him that at some point he would have to fight ich...its the nature of the beast with these things.
I think they are by far one of the nicest fish out there...Im willing to go the extra yard to keep one.
Good luck with yours

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I picked up some Cupramine and will be getting a copper test kit with the group buy.  Just need a tank to keep aq 5-6" tang in for 2 months...

Anyone got 55+ for sale or loan:)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I am really starting to this that this was Velvet instead of Ich .. Or maybe a combination.  The other sick fish do not show really pronounced spots but more of a dust on them.  Besides the Powder I have lost the Yellow Tang, a Chromis, a Dottyback and the clowns are showing this dusting even while being treated in a tank with Paraguard for a week.

So at this point I have basically lost and I am looking at how to irradicate this from the main tank.

C

crazybizzle

shit not good thats horrible, cant beleve u lost all that. gotta be more then ich.  to get rid of it completly u cant have any fish in ur tank for 2 months cause it needs a host to live off of or the cycle starts again

Status
Not open for further replies.