Don't let the snakes out!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i read that.... was absolutely terrible....
i never got snake owners... but i guess the chances of the snake hunting you are EXTREMELY rare.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So 100lb snake falls from a ceiling vent...the constricts one one kid...then over to the other...and no one hears a thing...

I have been following this story since this morning and I am just in shock on so many levels.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

AdamS

This story is very very sad. No matter who is to blame, somebody just lost two children. I really don't know how one could deal with that.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
AdamS link said:
This story is very very sad. No matter who is to blame, somebody just lost two children. I really don't know how one could deal with that.

It's awful, just awful but
I don't think anyone is to blame... It's a terrible rare and horrible accident... I read a news article that said the owner of the pet shop was getting hate mail and people were condemning him... How is it his fault? He didn't break any laws and I'm sure he is devastated and in shock over the whole thing...

AdamS

Poseidon link said:
[quote author=AdamS link=topic=5977.msg57516#msg57516 date=1375819277]

It's awful, just awful but I don't think anyone is to blame... It's a terrible rare and horrible accident... I read a news article that said the owner of the pet shop was getting hate mail and people were condemning him... How is it his fault? He didn't break any laws and I'm sure he is devastated and in shock over the whole thing...
[/quote]

Pretty sure I read that these snakes were kept illegally. Also as an engineer, I feel like someone is almost always to blame(its usually me). If the snakes got out, someone failed to take the steps necessary to contain them.  Maybe that person just didnt have enough knowledge to keep such an animal properly, so then they are to blame. Im not saying they are bad people, just that they didnt think it through.  This is why animals get reatricted, because the public as a whole does not have the capacity to keep them, and when they fail, other people pay.
When my corals die cause my reefkeeping skills are mediocre at best, its my fault. But nobody gets hirt, so who cares really.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
He was in another room with his son. Not sure how anyone didnt hear the snake falling through the ceiling.  I hear my kids pillows when the fall off the bed.

As for the petitioners,  read some of the issues on why they are trying to close him. Simply careless and cruel pet store owner. His carelessness causing death of two boys.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
It was a pet store, the kids were in an upstairs apartment,
Snake had been there for years and everyone knew about it, the local fire department even toured the pet store a few years back just familiarize themselves with the animals ( crocs, snakes etc)

The snake got out and crawled up the ventilation, and fell / came through the ceiling, you have to remember constrictors only constrict when hunting, and do not constrict for self defense, that's why they CAN handle these huge snakes you see at reptile shows etc.

So this snake was literally hunting these kids... Must have tried to kill/eat one, realized was to big for it and moved to the next one only to realize it was to big as well?
I'm not making light of this or arguing it's terrible, I just want to discuss it, imagine it was your kids?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It wasnt a boa, it was as african rock python or something like that. Police found that out after the fact.

All the children being hurt now a days is beyond tragic. ..between cooking in cars, drowning s , and now this...makes me not want to read the news or leave the house.

AdamS

I would never let my kids into that situation. I understand snakes well enough to know I cant trust them. There is a reason sneaky ppl are called snakes.

I agree with Torx, if the snake got out, it was carelessness on behalf of the owner.

Also, i just read that the snake was not in the pet store...

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
AdamS link said:
I would never let my kids into that situation. I understand snakes well enough to know I cant trust them. There is a reason sneaky ppl are called snakes.

I agree with Torx, if the snake got out, it was carelessness on behalf of the owner.

Regardless of where the snake was, owner should be held responsible for what the snake did, just like ANY other pet owner would be. Dog,fish,snake,cat a pets a pet. If it was my kids mr snakey wouldn't be around.

It's like me telling someone "oh my dog usually doesn't eat people, you must just have made him hungry"

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
AdamS link said:

Terribly sad news out of Campbellton, in New Brunswick, Canada. Two boys aged 5 and 7 are dead, and initial reports show that they were probably killed by a large python that escaped from a pet store located below the apartment where they lived.

i was just saying what i read in several articles

[/quote]

Regardless of where the snake was, owner should be held responsible for what the snake did, just like ANY other pet owner would be. Dog,fish,snake,cat a pets a pet. If it was my kids mr snakey wouldn't be around.

It's like me telling someone "oh my dog usually doesn't eat people, you must just have made him hungry"
[/quote]

that is true, when you put it like that... but i read the owner said it was a wild animal and not tame at all,

i took it as going to the zoo, if an lion breaks out of its cage and kills a person, whose fault is it?
but i do agree with you on the pet thing, if its my pet, im responsible for it.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Agreed...anything dangerous, dog, snake or gun...if they are mine and I am responsible for them. Only this isnt kids sneaking a play with dads gun or tormenting an  agressove dog, this is worse...much much worse

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Poseidon link said:
African rock python is the snake ID Phil,

[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=5977.msg57536#msg57536 date=1375824353]
the owner should absolutely be held accountable to the max extent of the law.its a well known fact these boa's are one of the most if not THE most aggressive snake on the planet.
if the owner had owned it for years then he should of been well aware and had taken all precautions to keep this animal caged.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/090911-pythons-florida-giant-snakes.html

[/quote]

yes,i know exactly what it is,the link posted tells you a little about it,i am a little passionate aout these things and just mis typed the species,thanks for the correction brandon

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Oh ok, i didn't click the link,
Hey, don't get me wrong, I have no problem out lawing snakes as pets...

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
didn't take you wrong,snakes like any other potential dangerous pets, should be well managed to prevent occurrences.shit like this can bring scrutiny on all pet owners with alternative pets,i cant see me ever owning a snake or lizard but i have had a few tarantulas and even they can inflict a severe bite.they hold dog owners liable,this snake owner needs to be held for the deaths his ignorance or neglect has caused