Don't let the snakes out!

reeffreak

Super Active Member
pulpfiction1 link said:
the owner should absolutely be held accountable to the max extent of the law.its a well known fact these python's are one of the most if not THE most aggressive snake on the planet.
if the owner had owned it for years then he should of been well aware and had taken all precautions to keep this animal caged.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/090911-pythons-florida-giant-snakes.html

+1 .. I think the owner should be held accountably 150% just like any other animal owner

monizb

Super Active Member
I think snakes should be left where they come from there not pets and can't stand the bastards all i know if it was my kids this snake would have been killed right there on the scene

Samsung s3

sunnykita

Super Active Member
so heartbreaking and it highlights the hodgepodge laws concerning the keeping of large and potentially dangerous creatures. I can only hope that these large snakes are completely banned across the country. One of the related news stories tells of an adult male owner of a rock python who was strangled to death in front of friends who couldn't get the snake off of him when it chose to wrap itself around his neck and squeeze. My condolences for a family suffering from such a tragedy

R

RyanR

Poseidon link said:
So this snake was literally hunting these kids... Must have tried to kill/eat one, realized was to big for it and moved to the next one only to realize it was to big as well?
I'm not making light of this or arguing it's terrible, I just want to discuss it, imagine it was your kids?

OKAY, I read a lot of  comments, but this one strikes a nerve, along with sunny kitas,(How are you going to like it when big brother destroys your SW hobby because of the FEW poaching? even tho lots are aqua cultured??)))

How many snakes have you owned? any of you making negative comments? how many LARGE snakes have you came into contact with? I CURRENTLY own 30+ snakes, all constrictors.. none of which get to the size of said snake  but that's besides the point,
interact with these animals on a daily basis and then you can truly see,
but to say this snake was actively HUNTING the kids is just plain ignorance and stupidity, Do you ever think that falling through the roof onto a solid floor may have startled the snake and kicked in its defensive instincts? Coupled with two VERY scared children (something feel through their roof when they were sleeping!!!), the moment they panicked, they were fair game.
The snake didn't realize the children were too big, because they weren't.. he could have EASILY ingested one if not both of the children and then moved on, instead he dispatched what he viewed as a threat at the time, and went on it's way afterwards, Snakes don't kill for fun. they run on instinct, just because we all knew that these children were absolutely no threat doesn't mean the snake did, if the snake was hungry it WOULD have eaten the children, Unless it was interrupted in the process, which according to the article it was not.

POINT IS snakes aren't blood thirsty killing machines, the fact here is the owner was ignorant and neglected the snakes living quarters and keeping it up to date and safe,
how many kids die every year from dogs biting them? but do we sit and claim that the dogs actively hunt the children whom are attacked? hell no.

lets not be dramatic, and actually look at the situation with an unbiased view point.
The only thing at fault is this store owner, and two innocent children lost their lives because of his laziness and ignorance.

I find it quite humerous how people want to blame the animal and not the person, why not blame the owner!? or the morons who thought it was a good idea to allow RESIDENTIAL apartments above a store which previously already houses LARGE constrictor snakes and aligators?!

Should Joe schmoe be able to own these huge animals? no. Should there be a licencing system? YES. and proceeds should go to animal control, and protection ect.
Should Big brother be able to take our rights away to own things if we are proved competent? HELL NO.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
RyanR link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=5977.msg57526#msg57526 date=1375822594]
So this snake was literally hunting these kids... Must have tried to kill/eat one, realized was to big for it and moved to the next one only to realize it was to big as well?
I'm not making light of this or arguing it's terrible, I just want to discuss it, imagine it was your kids?

OKAY, I read a lot of  comments, but this one strikes a nerve, along with sunny kitas,(How are you going to like it when big brother destroys your SW hobby because of the FEW poaching? even tho lots are aqua cultured??)))

How many snakes have you owned? any of you making negative comments? how many LARGE snakes have you came into contact with? I CURRENTLY own 30+ snakes, all constrictors.. none of which get to the size of said snake  but that's besides the point,
but to say this snake was actively HUNTING the kids is just plain ignorance and stupidity, Do you ever think that falling through the roof onto a solid floor may have startled the snake and kicked in its defensive instincts? Coupled with two VERY scared children (something feel through their roof when they were sleeping!!!), the moment they panicked, they were fair game.
The snake didn't realize the children were too big, because they weren't.. he could have EASILY ingested one if not both of the children and then moved on, instead he dispatched what he viewed as a threat at the time, and went on it's way afterwards, Snakes don't kill for fun. they run on instinct, just because we all knew that these children were absolutely no threat doesn't mean the snake did, if the snake was hungry it WOULD have eaten the children, Unless it was interrupted in the process, which according to the article it was not.

POINT IS snakes aren't blood thirsty killing machines, the fact here is the owner was ignorant and neglected the snakes living quarters and keeping it up to date and safe,
how many kids die every year from dogs biting them? but do we sit and claim that the dogs actively hunt the children whom are attacked? hell no.

lets not be dramatic, and actually look at the situation with an unbiased view point.
The only thing at fault is this store owner, and two innocent children lost their lives because of his laziness and ignorance.

I find it quite humerous how people want to blame the animal and not the person, why not blame the owner!? or the morons who thought it was a good idea to allow RESIDENTIAL apartments above a store which previously already houses LARGE constrictor snakes and aligators?!

Should Joe schmoe be able to own these huge animals? no. Should there be a licencing system? YES. and proceeds should go to animal control, and protection ect.
Should Big brother be able to take our rights away to own things if we are proved competent? HELL NO.
[/quote]

ok hold the phone... ive been told by everyone, and everywhere ive read that boas/pythons ONLY CONSTRICT WHEN HUNTING, not for self defense.

I was just making a worded guess as to what happened based on the info provided... no, it doesn't make any sense... nothing about this story makes sense, hence the reason why people are thinking the snake didn't kill anyone, and some thing else is at play here...

no ive never owned a snake, and im not sure how my comment could have struck a nerve?, as you see all the little question marks behind my comment, im really just ASKING/GUESSING, what going on......

R

RyanR

"so this snake was literally hunting these kids....."  ...... ? "

The first part is a statement, that's why It struck a nerve(followed by Kitas remark as the icing on the cake).. you are partially right, In NORMAL circumstances, a constrictor is not going to bother wasting its energy constricting anything it isn't going to eat, but the animal fell through a roof, which is way beyond the realm of normal circumstances.
Imagine how you'd feel to fall 8-12 feet unexpectedly, on your stomach flat when you weigh a couple hundred pounds, your body would instinctually go into fight, or flight mode.. a large constrictors only defense mechanism is just that, bite and constrict and kill what it views as a threat.

I assure you, I could feed ANY one of my numerous adult constrictors, it would have a nice fat full belly, be full and not hungry at all and still if you shook up its cage and stuck your hand in its face it would not hesitate to bite AND constrict you (their ONLY method of offence, and self defense) and that's quite minor in comparison to falling 8-12 feet and having two very scared children right in front of it who would have no idea that making quick threatening movements, or loud threatening sounds would likely result in the animal defending itself at all costs.

Coupled with that, Moments later it likely had two screaming children panic and try to run past it :? (How two children can be SILENTLY killed by one animal, is beyond me and grounds enough to look into this even deeper)

100% the OWNER of the store, and the OWNER of the building itself should BOTH be charged, 1 for animal neglect, and 2 putting residential apartments above already established dangerous animals.. the animals were there before the apartments were.

all i'm saying is there are people who enjoy these animals AND respect them, just because this one clown, or any other clown doesn't.. does not make us all bad..
I can assure you, thousands more children die annually at the bite end of a dog than children do every century due to non venomous snakes, hell dogs are likely responsible for more deaths every year than venomous snakes included yet every family still loves their pooch, and would sure as hell be up in arms if ANYONE tried to tell them they couldn't own a dog anymore.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Why the autopsy ?.....I'm thinking that snake fell on the kids  and that weight of the snake and. The how many feet was is it from ceiling to floor.  ...and then no one heard it ...they really are not telling the truth just yet

sunnykita

Super Active Member
RyanR link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=5977.msg57526#msg57526 date=1375822594]

I hit a nerve, so sorry I offended you, Ryan R. 

I will clarify what I meant to say. I believe known dangerous snakes should not be kept as pets, I DO believe there are competent  people who could keep these known as "dangerous to the general public" snakes quite safely.

It's the 5% of the idiots, and I include the idiots who own and fight pit bulls and or want a status symbol tough dog and purposely set out to make a good dog mean, who are the reason for the hysteria that resulted in the big brother pit bull ban.

I also believe that the responsibility for ANY animals unacceptable  behaviour rests entirely on the owners shoulders and they should be held accountable for their pet's actions. Whether it be snakes, dogs or any number of different animals, there are idiots out there who will want to own what they aren't capable of caring for in a safe manner.

I don't own a snake, I have worked with them and cared for them, I don't hate them, I don't think all snakes should be banned.  I don't own a pit bull, but love the breed. Do I agree with the breed ban? no, I believe in accountability for all.  Yes , I love my salt water tank and it's inhabitants but understand that we may not always have accessibility to all types of inhabitants.

The owner of the snake involved in the deaths of these two boys should be held accountable for the snake's actions.

Big brother is already at work with banned dogs and banning exports/imports of some coral.  You may not agree with my opinion and so it should be. We are entitled to disagree with another's opinion. Do I have all the answers? HELL NO. I just have my own view which isn't the same as yours. It's all good !

[/quote]

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Why can't we all get along?

13-year-old-boy-live-together-with-python-for-13-Years-01.jpg

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I've never been a fan of keeping snakes or lizards..... I think they are cool creatures and what not but I could never keep one in my house....I would be too terrified of it escaping. I will go to the zoo... :)
IMO this is another case of people thinking you can keep extremely lethal animals as pets....not trying to say that you can't but to anyone who does this is a warning and a reminder......you cannot reason with most animals and their basic instincts will stay with them forever. Even the pros at the zoos have had many issues with keeping dangerous animals.... I am somewhat confused at times when I hear of a lion, tiger, croc, whale or whatever attacking a person (usually its keeper) and then they kill the animal to solve the problem. You have to remember that that animal was taken from the wild and put into captivity under our care..... Whether or not it wants to be there or not it can and will present an immediate danger at any given moment. And don't even get me started with the people who put their heads or other body parts inside a gaters mouth.....whatever gave them this idea?!? Imagine what the gater is thinking lol.... Is this idiot really serious? Haha
Anyways, It is very sad but hopefully an eye opener for others as well.