Eletrical Cost

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Happy Monday Everyone!

I am curious to see if anyone has done the actual math to see how much their tank is costing them per month on electricity.

Post your tank size/ brief description of equipment running and what your cost of power is.

When i was living in my parents basement, i had several tanks running, lots of mag 18's metal halides etc etc. When i shut all that down their power bill dropped 450.00$ per month.
Nothing else changed- i simply got rid of my tanks. Mind you nothing was energy efficient and alot of it was old dated tech. (dont worry ive refunded my parents out of sheer guilt)

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I think mine is around 100 a month. Equipment wise I have

3 x 250w halides
1 x reef brite 5 ft xho bar
1 x panworld 100x-x skimmer pump
1 x L1 Ecotech return pump
500w of heaters
Calcium reactor
2 x mp40 QD
2 x gyre xf150

I have the reefbrite come on around 2pm till 5:30 pm. Halides come on at 5:30 and go off around 1:30 am. Reef brite comes back on at 1:30 am till 3 am

Running it this way, granted reduces my viewing time, but saves a ton on hydro.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have been meaning to test this. I can measure my hydro by the hour, so if I shut down for an hour and compa.re, should tell me a lot

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

heath

Distinguished Member
our hydro is crazy, rates have gone up but, since Oct my bill has dropped from 220.00 to my current bill is 122.00.. go figure..
the only thing that I have changed on my tanks are the lights on the big one, from 3 Chinese leds to 2 sun blasters...oh almost forgot, added a chest (sm) freezer...

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

I have the reefbrite come on around 2pm till 5:30 pm. Halides come on at 5:30 and go off around 1:30 am. Reef brite comes back on at 1:30 am till 3 am

this actually is a great idea.... i might use this thanks!

Quartapound

Even without a home energy monitor it shouldn't be that hard to do if you have a clamp on ammeter and you're comfortable with electrical, especially if you have a dedicated circuit for your aquarium only thing it couldn't account very well for is the heater and light cycling on and off. It wouldn't be too hard to get a snapshot of your current draw and then multiply it out... things get a hell of a lot more complicated if you wanted to get accurate to the point of peak, mid peak, and off peak rates... makes my head hurt just thinking about it lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

zoomster

3 x 250w halides
1 x reef brite 5 ft xho bar
1 x panworld 100x-x skimmer pump
1 x L1 Ecotech return pump
500w of heaters
Calcium reactor
2 x mp40 QD
2 x gyre xf150

I agree this is not a bad idea!
I may leave my DT as is but I see no reason why my fowlr and frag tank could not be running the lighting in the evening / overnight during cheapy time. Right?

sunnykita

Super Active Member
my hydro had increased substantially with the mh lights, I am on equal billing, I'm not sure how much, a month the hydro was increased that August, I think around 50 bucks a month. I shut down the mh lights switched to T5's and the next August received a credit of 650 bucks

Sewerat

Super Active Member
My bill is crazy high. DT up stairs runs led from 9am-7pm in the basement I run the sump led from 7pm to 6am. But here's where it gets interesting

I have the turtle tank and Riley's Frags in the basement, both of those run lights in the off peak time, something like 9pm-4am Riley's are using MH and the turtle has t5 and one 100w bulb for heat. Abviuoly I have 3 heaters, and 3 pumps and one skimmer all draining 24/7 but my hydro was a million kWh more in the off peak then it was during the on peak or mid peak last month. I had almost 2million total kWh last month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reef keeper

Super Active Member
My bill is crazy high. DT up stairs runs led from 9am-7pm in the basement I run the sump led from 7pm to 6am. But here's where it gets interesting

I have the turtle tank and Riley's Frags in the basement, both of those run lights in the off peak time, something like 9pm-4am Riley's are using MH and the turtle has t5 and one 100w bulb for heat. Abviuoly I have 3 heaters, and 3 pumps and one skimmer all draining 24/7 but my hydro was a million kWh more in the off peak then it was during the on peak or mid peak last month. I had almost 2million total kWh last month.

See. Led aren't cheaper lol

Holy hell man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk