Eletrical Cost

Nighthawk26

Umm.... 2 million kwh? I assume you are being fecicious? I just paid my last bill. 2 months was $538 bucks. Used a total of just under 3500 kwh.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
56426418f59da44fc2dee89884c7bbdf.jpg

Ah I didn't see a decimal point. Thought it was a comma but ok so it's 2000kwh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Here are my findings according to my hourly report from my SMART meter. I completely unplugged my aquarium for my house no tank numbers. For a fair comparison, I used the evening tank and house numbers where there would be less variables with everyone in bed. I also did not use the numbers for the hour directly after I plugged the tank back in as the heaters ran steady for that hour to get the water back up to temp of 78.0-78.5.

1.03kWh house, tank, no lights
1.10kWh house, tank, and lights
0.96kWh house, no tank or lights

Rates (cents/hr):
OFF 7pm-7am @ 8.3
MID 11am-5pm @ 12.8
ON 7-11am & 5-7pm @ 17.5

Remove house (0.96kWh) from the kWh =
0.07kWh for tank no lights
0.14kWh for tank and lights (2PM to 11pm)

All day for tank (cents/hour)
0.07(8.3*12) = 6.97
0.07(12.8*6) = 5.37
0.07(17.5*6) = 7.35

9 hours of lights 2PM to 11PM minus tank cost (cents/hour).
2pm-5pm
0.07(12.8*3) = 2.68
5pm-7pm
0.07(17.5*2) = 2.45
7pm-11pm
0.07(8.3*4) = 2.32

= 27.14 cents per day
= $8.14 per month (30 days)

Equiptment:
Jebao DC 12000
3 Enheim 200w heaters
Vertex Alpha Omega 250 Skimmer
Apex
2xJebao RW15's
2 RapidLED Onyx light fixtures.

This is obviously an average and not an exact due to the fridge coming on and furnace blower, but those are the only variables and I took numbers from similar times of day so that the use of the other variables should be similar. This is actually much lower then I thought. Probably due to the LED lights, high efficiency pumps.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I don't think your math is correct. You can use your apex to get the average usage of your EB to get a better picture.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I don't think your math is correct. You can use your apex to get the average usage of your EB to get a better picture.
Only problem with that is there is no way for me to know the voltage rating of all the equipment as my circ and return pumps as well as my lights are variable to do the Amp to kWh numbers. Full on I report 10amps. Only at 120v (jebao are 24v each alone) that would be 1.2kWh, which would be more then I use for the entire house uses.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Borrowed a Kilawatt this weekend. I have yet to actually set up tracking, but off general review. It looks like my numbers are pretty close to correct. I set it up with a rate of 0.18 cents/hour ($0.0018/hour). If it was all on 24/7 and was approx $23/month [$18 on DT (lights are the worse offender) and $5 on sump, even with 2 heaters running, sump light, skimmer and return]. Keep in mind, that is peak rate and 24hr/day of everything. Hopefully I will get a chance to break it down to specifics, but in all honesty...even if it was $23/month, even that is less then I figured it would be.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I think mine is around 100 a month. Equipment wise I have

3 x 250w halides
1 x reef brite 5 ft xho bar
1 x panworld 100x-x skimmer pump
1 x L1 Ecotech return pump
500w of heaters
Calcium reactor
2 x mp40 QD
2 x gyre xf150

I have the reefbrite come on around 2pm till 5:30 pm. Halides come on at 5:30 and go off around 1:30 am. Reef brite comes back on at 1:30 am till 3 am

Running it this way, granted reduces my viewing time, but saves a ton on hydro.

I just changed to 8x80w ATI T5 - my amps dropped from around 10.5 to 7.9. Ouch.

Skim

Oh God you have to love those Delivery charges and administrative fees what a load of crap! Just a quick note If you ever are having a hard time with a discrepancy and can't seem to get anywhere or no one is getting back to you, just put some Tin Foil over the top of the meter they will be there in minutes. It blocks the signal on the new meters.

hark

I'm subscribing to this thread. My bill was over 1000 for two months and 4 x what it was last January. Only thing since then is my tank that's different but there is no way that's the cost difference. I'll figure out my tank costs using my eb8's

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I'm subscribing to this thread. My bill was over 1000 for two months and 4 x what it was last January. Only thing since then is my tank that's different but there is no way that's the cost difference. I'll figure out my tank costs using my eb8's
Double check the data on your bill. Rates, usage etc. Hydro has been screwing with people's bills. Most got slammed with huge bills in January.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I think it could/ most likely is the 600w of MH t5 light that is on for 6hrs that does it mostly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sewerat, that's the same light that was responsible for my increased hydro bills and hence the rebate when I quit running it. Over a 600 dollar credit in August. I wish I remembered when I quit running it, but I don't. My hydro is on equal billing, so once I started running it, my rate was increased to reflect the extra usage and when I took it off line I ended up with a credit. No more MH for me ;)

chief hill

Thanks to the liberals and the amazing low cost wind turbines we have unlimited cheap power. Lol Sarcasm...... I'd start up coal and nuclear in my backyard tomorrow If it was going to give me cheaper hydro. This province is pathetic with all the peak time charges for electricity. All this green energy crap is useless. ESPECIALLY when it comes to pillaging consumers on hydro bills. Mine run in the $400 plus range in the summer. That's when my rates shoot up. Ahhh ok all better now rant over

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk