figured out whats killing my digi corals

harleymike

Super Active Member
I give up. I dont have the time too keep fighting these little pricks.
Im gonna pull my monti's out and let them eat whats left. Then i'll just run monti free for at least 6 months and let them starve.
These little buggers are relentless.

harleymike

Super Active Member
So, after 4 months of constantly checking my tank at night with a flashlight. And sucking these little bastards out. I can honestly say, I still have them. LOL.
I can go for a couple of weeks and not see any. Then I start finding them again for a week. Seems too cycle.
They arent destroying anything, but they are there in very small no's.
They seem too be impossible too eliminate.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Bummer Mike, I would use Bayer, pull out all the digi colonies and dip them all rinse then and check again the next day and do it over and over, the Bayer should wipe then out. The problem with just sucking then out is your never getting them all. They hide in small crevices in the rocks and under the corals.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
harleymike link said:
So, after 4 months of constantly checking my tank at night with a flashlight. And sucking these little bastards out. I can honestly say, I still have them. LOL.
I can go for a couple of weeks and not see any. Then I start finding them again for a week. Seems too cycle.
They arent destroying anything, but they are there in very small no's.
They seem too be impossible too eliminate.

I would guess that the "cycle" is hatching of new eggs, since you are only able to suck out the live ones you see.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
if yu goin to use he bayer method pat says...yu will have to go get a bottle over at port huron at menards or lowes or home depot as i got all the ones i had sold.  hope there not seasonal and pulled off the shelves yet  here is a picture of a bottle

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I could give you some Mike to use, shouldn't take much at all. I doubt he was getting all the nudis and this is just  the eggs, these things are so small and so hard to see, there's probably millions you never seen that are adults. Dip, kill, rinse

harleymike

Super Active Member
Bayer doesnt work. Very little kills the adults. Nothing kills the eggs. Thats the problem with these things. The eggs are under the base of the coral. So you cant see them, or kill them.
I have done hours of reading on these things. The only sure method is remove all monti coral for at least 6  months.

harleymike

Super Active Member
I will look into it. But everything i have read says only a wrasse may eat them. But not all and not for sure.
Im too the point now, that I may just give up and let them kill what monti I cant remove. Then I wont ad any monti for a year. Getting sick of sucking them out every friggin night. It seems too be a losing battle.

harleymike

Super Active Member
The more i think of it. I am sick of sticking my arm in eveynight and serching with a flashlight for hours.
I may just break off all my monti and pull them out. Alot is encrusted, so the nudi's will have a free for all for a while. Then i will go monti free.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
harleymike link said:
The more i think of it. I am sick of sticking my arm in eveynight and serching with a flashlight for hours.
I may just break off all my monti and pull them out. Alot is encrusted, so the nudi's will have a free for all for a while. Then i will go monti free.

Cover all the encrusted bases with superglue

reeffreak

Super Active Member
harleymike link said:
Bayer doesnt work. Very little kills the adults. Nothing kills the eggs. Thats the problem with these things. The eggs are under the base of the coral. So you cant see them, or kill them.
I have done hours of reading on these things. The only sure method is remove all monti coral for at least 6  months.

Pull them out dip the and set up another tank for them. Keep them I their till your for sure 1900000000000000% then place back into the display. Keep the display empty if nudis for 6 months, but keep monitoring it to make sure you see none. Place a small monti back in after the 6 months for a couple weeks and see if anything happens to it. Either that or throw it all out lol there is only one way to get them out and that's removing the monits

harleymike

Super Active Member
Ya I agree reeffreak. But I dont want too set up another tank.
I think this weekend I am going too chip out all the monti that I can and leave it for a year.
I will just add other types of corals.
Sucks. I have some nice diggi colonies and other monti stuff.
I didnt set up this tank so I can spend an hour or so almost everynight pulling out unwanted pests.
I spend 4 months trying, and Im done.
Its basically two large rocks that have the monti. So it shouldnt be too bad.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
harleymike link said:
Ya I agree reeffreak. But I dont want too set up another tank.
I think this weekend I am going too chip out all the monti that I can and leave it for a year.
I will just add other types of corals.
Sucks. I have some nice diggi colonies and other monti stuff.
I didnt set up this tank so I can spend an hour or so almost everynight pulling out unwanted pests.
I spend 4 months trying, and Im done.
Its basically two large rocks that have the monti. So it shouldnt be too bad.

Whatever route you go I wish the best for ya. Pain in the balls

harleymike

Super Active Member
Little up date. After one month of not bothering with the nudi's I have seen no damage too corals. Got my flashlight out tonight and took me 20 min of searching too find one. Not sure what's keeping them at bay. But something is eating them. I think. Maybe the wrasse's, or the crabs. But I can live with one here or there.
I'm pretty sure others might have them and not even know it. This guy was very hard too find, and if you don't know what too look for I don't think anyone would have seen him.
Maybe I will get lucky and this is the extent of it.