Flatworm Exit

100gallon

Well it appears as though I have an outbreak of flatworm on my two hammers. I will be dosing exit tomorrow:(

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

100gallon

Hmm. Confused now. It seems like only my two hammers. Should I break the free and use exit in a pail?

Kman

Super Active Member
What color of flat worms? I would not recommend using medications in a reef tank and would use more natural methods like the fish suggested above. Unless absolutely necessary. If you really have to use something like exit I would set up a temp tank to soak it in for a dip with good flow or a air stone to increase O2. If it is the red flatworms you can try attaching a clamp on shop light to one corner of the tank and shut off all other lights in the room and tank. After a few hrs most should go towards the light as they should be attracted to it. You can then take a soft airline tube with a piece of the hard tube and suck them off the glass. I have solved a massive tank wide outbreak just by doing that a few nights in a row. But for the most part the fish will do a good job unless it is a really big bloom. I found the green wrasse a good choice as well. But it could eat other things like tube worms.

100gallon

Stace to the rescue. Lol I am picking up a six line and a corrie from abd now. Otw to kw. I will grab some exit just in case
The worms are flat small wide brown patches that move. I thought my hammers were just discolored in those areas....but when u saw the patch move last night it was confirmed. Explains why I couldn't sleep!

Kman

Super Active Member
Hmm. Confused now. It seems like only my two hammers. Should I break the free and use exit in a pail?

A quick freshwater dip can work. Just have a saltwater bucket with water from the main tank to rinse them in after. You don't want them getting back in the tank.

Kman

Super Active Member
The change in osmotic pressure from freshwater to saltwater should make them pop. But i would only do each fresh water dip for a few min.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Thanks kev.

Don't thank me for it bud. :), you should thank the person who you bought it from. Good luck treating it tho. With all this luck, by the time your tank is all settle. You should be a huge pro. I know you have learn a lot to all the stuff you been through. Positive note, pretty soon you will be able to give advice to other members. Phil the pro.;)

Kman

Super Active Member
Good thing you caught them early and they are not the red ones. The red ones have the ability to kill sessile inverts and even fish if a large amount of the worms die, so if you have a big outbreak you can kill some of your stuff in the tank.

jroovers

Super Active Member
I nearly caused a tank crash from the red planaria flatworms and flatworm exit, if you have a large number of them they will release a lot of toxins into the water, and even carbon, NSW changes, and aerating won't help you. If you have a minimal number, that is better... I'd nip them in the bud sooner rather than later. Some of them will survive the treatment as well, so not a bad idea to consider the natural methods proposed.

Kman

Super Active Member
I nearly caused a tank crash from the red planaria flatworms and flatworm exit.

Man that sucks but it could have been worse. I always error on the side of caution with them because sometimes the red ones are rust color and can easily be confused with the brown ones.