Flatworm Exit

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Let them feast:) I have faith in the biological balance of a system. Flat worm exit failed 4 times in a row at 100 bucks a dosing... IT killed the worms yes but never all of them... its the fish that kep them in check and as far as I know I haven't not seen a flat worm in two years.Anywhere

100gallon

I made the decision to take out my gold an my green hammer corals and dipped in coral rx. Used a baster to get flow in between tissues and then a freshwater dip and quick rinse in tank water container. I was shocked at the volume of flatworms that were in the containers! Now to see if my angry corals will bounce back.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
I like the fish options as well. They help stop outbreaks before they happen and help maintain a proper balance.

It is good you took them out. I have always stuck to not using medications in a reef tank unless absolutely necessary. It is a delicate ecosystem and it should be treated as such. You never know what unseen damage it is causing. Even the alleged 'reef safe' ones.

Hammers are pretty resilient so I am sure they should make it. You can increase the water flow on them a little to help remove any extra slime they might produce. I also like to add an air stone to the tank temporarily to help raise the O2 level a little. But it is not needed if you don't want to.

100gallon

13d40c0879905cb9f85e41ef1eb77d0f.jpg

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk
The dark spots on the gold appear to be damage I caused during cleaning.

Kman

Super Active Member
Flatworms feed on the Zooxanthellae so the dark spots could be from that. Just keep the flow up and spot feed a little. An increase in food can compensate for the loss of Zooxanthellae and it ups the energy budget to help repopulate them.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
My Melanrus wrasse has done a great job keeping the FW in check.... Even if they are not AEFW, they can still start to overpopulated a reef tank.... A wrasse is a good reef choice for this very reason. Only concern with them is that some will go after inverts.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just do not do like me. I let it work its coarse on a previous tank. Tank was infested with them everywhere. I mean everywhere. I got up one day and they were all gone...just died off. Luckly I had a lot of water made up already and did a quick HUGE water change, followed by a second, then third. Almost lost everything in the tank. Word of advice...get it taken care of ASAP.

Kman

Super Active Member
Wrasse are great at keeping them under control. You do defiantly need to choose your wrasse carefully. Below are a few other fish I have seen work and are normally ok in the reef.

Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinushexataenia), Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres. chrysus), Leopard Wrasse(Macropharyngodon sp.) and dragonets such as the Spotted Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus). The Blue Velvet Nudibranch (Chelidonura varians) does work to.

Kman

Super Active Member
Just do not do like me. I let it work its coarse on a previous tank. Tank was infested with them everywhere. I mean everywhere. I got up one day and they were all gone...just died off. Luckly I had a lot of water made up already and did a quick HUGE water change, followed by a second, then third. Almost lost everything in the tank. Word of advice...get it taken care of ASAP.

Man that could have gone very very wrong. I have seen people lose everything.

Kman

Super Active Member
It has been years for me. I treat and look over all new corals that go into my tank though. Unless It is from someone close. I especially do if I get it from a frag show.