Found my missing watchman... Can't figure out how to get to it.

GirDance

I picked up a nice, but rather small, watchman goby two weeks ago.  He was extremely active for the first day, and then I hadn't seen him since...  Didn't even come out for feeding.  I wasn't too worried at first since I have tons of pods, figured he was making himself a cave and camped out snacking on them... 

Well today I decided to try to google and see about how long people found their new Watchman's would hide...  Instead I found several forum posts around the web explaining that their Watchman Goby's had managed to go through the overflow slots in people's Nano cubes (which I have) and get stuck in the rear chamber...  :? Sure enough - that's where he is.

Problem is...  He is in the chamber for the pump (which I have turned off until I can get him out) but he is between the wall and the plastic frame at the bottom, not like I can get to it with a net.  It ate the pellets I sent down for him, but I don't think I can even fit a trap in the chamber to trap it...

Any ideas how to get him out?  Sorry for the poor picture quality, but he's the small yellow speck on the far right side of the tank in the middle... 

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i had a cleaner wrasse do this in an overflow constantly and i fished him out with a tiny net..;

i also had my eel do this, i fished him out with a clothes hanger and tweezers... may sound cruel but i had no other options..

GirDance

Poseidon link said:
[quote author=scarlabo link=topic=5455.msg51893#msg51893 date=1369794706]
Are you able to get a larger hose in and siphon it out in a bucket?

friken ingenious! :D
thats a sick idea, big +1
[/quote]

I agree!  Unfortunately the hose for my syphon isn't all that big and isn't working too well since he's such a quick little guy!

After just over an hour I have given up for now and am leaving the tank running with one pump and the skimmer off.  I did remove all the plumbing so there is just a gaping hole seperating the chamber from the tank, maybe he'll help me out and free himself.

Shopping list for tomorrow... 

Long handled shrimp net
Large diameter water hose
Plastic craft mesh to epoxy over the overflow...  Should stop any more fish from going through without impeding water flow.

GirDance

Neopimp link said:
The siphon will work. Just use a 1\" tube:)

Unfortunately its not that simple.  There is a 1" high black plastic frame at the bottom beside the wall.  Every time you put something in the tank he goes between the wall and the frame.  :/  I tried shoving the net in there to get him out but he just goes under to the chamber on the other side.

I am going to have to find a way to trap him in the one chamber, make it so he can't get between the frame and the wall and THEN try to net or siphon him out.

Needless to say, for now its just easier to let it stay there and make sure i toss back some food every now and then.  I've already put about 4 hours into the attempt and am giving up for a bit.

I did install a plastic canvas screen over the overflow so it can't happen again.

GirDance

Neopimp link said:
The siphon will work. Just use a 1\" tube:)

Unfortunately its not that simple.  There is a 1" high black plastic frame at the bottom beside the wall.  Every time you put something in the tank he goes between the wall and the frame.  :/  I tried shoving the net in there to get him out but he just goes under to the chamber on the other side.

I am going to have to find a way to trap him in the one chamber, make it so he can't get between the frame and the wall and THEN try to net or siphon him out.

Needless to say, for now its just easier to let it stay there and make sure i toss back some food every now and then.  I've already put about 4 hours into the attempt and am giving up for a bit.

I did install a plastic canvas screen over the overflow so it can't happen again.