GFO side effects?

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Meh, I can't imagine that it would have that profound of an effect on the GFO... it is meant to cleanse water of phosphates after all...

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I just put the dry material in the reactor and run it in my system until the lines run clean.  Usually 3g of water will do it.  I then stop the pump, turn it back on and run tank water through again for another gallon or so.  I stop again and re-start, if clean, its good to go.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Duke link said:
what i do when i rinse my gfo is just fill the reactor with unrinsed dry gfo.. then i do a waterchange and pump out as much water as i can through the reactor to rinse the gfo.. i can pump about 3 gallons through it before my return pump starts sucking air.. this has always been the easiest and cleanest way to rinse my gfo, i used to use filter socks on the output but now i just suck out any reminants of gfo or other gunk in the sump when i do the rest of the water change.

+1 rinsed when I do a water change.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
theyangman link said:
Meh, I can't imagine that it would have that profound of an effect on the GFO... it is meant to cleanse water of phosphates after all...

Some gfo when used up will release shit back into the water, so this isn't true

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
reeffreak link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=6400.msg62341#msg62341 date=1380549136]
what i do when i rinse my gfo is just fill the reactor with unrinsed dry gfo.. then i do a waterchange and pump out as much water as i can through the reactor to rinse the gfo.. i can pump about 3 gallons through it before my return pump starts sucking air.. this has always been the easiest and cleanest way to rinse my gfo, i used to use filter socks on the output but now i just suck out any reminants of gfo or other gunk in the sump when i do the rest of the water change.

+1 rinsed when I do a water change.
[/quote]

i do this as well, but i only run about 3/4 gallon through it until its clear

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
i hate rinsing gfo and carbon and fullong the reactors with wet media.  it sticks all over he place ..so i full the reactors dry a and hook my pump i use for waterchanges to take the dirty water out of the sump and run it thru the reactors till the water looks  clean coming out of reactors  i do 12 gallon wayerchanges. so i can run at least 5 gallons thru each reactor

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Petercar link said:
i hate rinsing gfo and carbon and fullong the reactors with wet media.  it sticks all over he place ..so i full the reactors dry a and hook my pump i use for waterchanges to take the dirty water out of the sump and run it thru the reactors till the water looks  clean coming out of reactors  i do 12 gallon wayerchanges. so i can run at least 5 gallons thru each reactor

Awesome idea

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Torx link said:
[quote author=Petercar link=topic=6400.msg62372#msg62372 date=1380556222]

Awesome idea
[/quote]thats pretty much the same idea as duke

MrHermit85

I got that rusty crap when I first started using GFO. Cleaned my sump out and turned the flow down for the reactor and I havnt seen the rusty crap since. (I always rinsed the GFO regardless)

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Reef Hero link said:
Lets see the RR Big Boy Acro!!! ;)

You already own the big boy pieces (except the yellow passion I think).

Here is what I will have.

- Jimmy Bean
- RR SSC
- SSC
- RR Purple monster
- RR Matrix
- RR Blizzard
- RR Pink Floyd
- RR Orange Passion
- RR Pearl Berry
- RR Magma

theyangman

Distinguished Member
BIGSHOW link said:
LOL

After frag swap there will be a huge update to the WYSIWYG section on the site, including some SSC frags.

Can I come before the swap and buy some? I would like to go shopping prior to being picked over.