Go Big Or Go Home - Massive Upgrade With Huge Show Tank

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
They are pretty neat. I think there is about 20 garden eels in the tank. Added another dimension to the life in it. I did put lots of high end fish, but I enjoy the simple stuff like goby/shrimp pairs and other fascinating fun to watch reef life that is inexpensive.
How deep does the sand bed have to be for the eels ?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
IMG_9735.jpg

Favourite fish in the tank :).

I sure miss him...but it is great seeing him in a tank that makes him look small and happy again! :cool:

As for the rest...Amazing...Simply the best!!!

curiousphil

Super Active Member
These pics were totally worth the wait!!! Wow. Simply incredible man.

That sohal is gorgeous, also my favourite fish in your tank :). I can't wait until my next trip out to your place, whenever that might be. The garden eels are super cool too - I'd never heard of them before and assumed they were some kind of goby.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I think TheFragTank has a Tank of the Century.

Thanks buddy

I sure miss him...but it is great seeing him in a tank that makes him look small and happy again! :cool:

As for the rest...Amazing...Simply the best!!!

He seems pretty happy, likes to graze on the rocks during the day, very active fish.

These pics were totally worth the wait!!! Wow. Simply incredible man.

That sohal is gorgeous, also my favourite fish in your tank :). I can't wait until my next trip out to your place, whenever that might be. The garden eels are super cool too - I'd never heard of them before and assumed they were some kind of goby.

Thanks Phil. The garden eels are very cool, and they eat everything that swims by, very neat to have an eel that I don't have to worry about eating things or trying to escape.

Thanks buddy!

Wow ! simply amazing, I hope to see it one day !

Anytime, always welcome

Gorgeous system!
I'll have to make the trip to see it in person some day soon

Sony Xperia Z3

Thanks Eric, nice to have you over sometime to chat about the fish hobby and business side of things.

Thanks everyone else, I appreciate the feedback. I will try and get some nice macros of some of the acros in the near future.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Awesome pics, and well worth the wait. Very inspirational, thanks for sharing. Its nice to see your system up and running so quickly, it looks like the Reef Gods on your side:)

How are you managing the humidity over these summer months? I ask because I am finding it challenging with my system, which is a fraction of the size. I am using AC and a dehumidifier, but its still tough. My air exchanger works well during the cool months, but the summer has been tough.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Awesome pics, and well worth the wait. Very inspirational, thanks for sharing. Its nice to see your system up and running so quickly, it looks like the Reef Gods on your side:)

How are you managing the humidity over these summer months? I ask because I am finding it challenging with my system, which is a fraction of the size. I am using AC and a dehumidifier, but its still tough. My air exchanger works well during the cool months, but the summer has been tough.

humidity in the house is around 50%. Not horrible but not the best. Currently I have a canfam and an HRV drawing air right out of the fish room. The fish room is also pretty much sealed up with industrial plastic paneling.

I will have issues in the winter time when the HRV does not work. I will be getting a separate unit for the fish room which will heat/cool and remove moisture. It will be on its own sensors separate from the house.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sounds like you have planned things nicely. Just curious why the HRV won't work for you in the winter?
I have the opposite, where my HRV works best in the winter since it draws dry- low moisture sure from the outdoors.
What's a canfam?

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Sounds like you have planned things nicely. Just curious why the HRV won't work for you in the winter?
I have the opposite, where my HRV works best in the winter since it draws dry- low moisture sure from the outdoors.
What's a canfam?

The HRV will work in winter, but if temperatures outside get as cold as last winter (-20 range) it will not work properly (at least mine doesn't, could be the amount of moisture it is drawing out of the room). Sorry meant Canfan, just a big fan that draws air out of the room to the outside.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
The crazy thing is it doesn't smell or feel moist in your basement. I would say you definetely have the moisture control under control :)

No AC and though those halides I don't think would ever come on lol.

For anyone who has not been, I encourage you to make the trip. The 403 is not a bad drive at all.

The sheer size of his display just makes things look way small in photos then they actually are. The sps colonies are definitely larger and more colourful then photos. And I believe it's an alveopora coral in bottom right of tank...well that thing is absolutely MASSIVE. It would easily fill a 30 gallon tank when fully open.

Did you get the final touch ups completed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
The crazy thing is it doesn't smell or feel moist in your basement. I would say you definetely have the moisture control under control :)

No AC and though those halides I don't think would ever come on lol.

For anyone who has not been, I encourage you to make the trip. The 403 is not a bad drive at all.

The sheer size of his display just makes things look way small in photos then they actually are. The sps colonies are definitely larger and more colourful then photos. And I believe it's an alveopora coral in bottom right of tank...well that thing is absolutely MASSIVE. It would easily fill a 30 gallon tank when fully open.

Did you get the final touch ups completed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks buddy. Touch ups are just about done. Primed, mudded and sanded all the bullshit spots left from the contractor now have to paint again. Got quite a bit done in the short time I was home including the grout of the tiles and laying the fish room floor. I'd say its about 90% complete.

I think I had more moisture problems on my last setup. Strange they way it worked out, but the HRV pulling air directly out of the fish room only helps a lot. When I get the duckelss split installed and the climate control unit (probably 1.5 tonne) I should be good to go. Probably have that done in the next few months.