Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
be672v.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Thank GOD there were no leaf players on team canada to blow the 3-0 lead late in the third.  LOL.

You guys are nuts getting up early on a Sun for that.  I got up at 11 and am all caught up on the highlights of the meaningless olympic hockey and know that I get to see REAL hockey again Tuesday.  WOOT!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Not really, I would follow it more if there was an actual canadian olympic team, not just taking professional players from a league and stuffing them together for a more or less unsubstantiated outcome. 

If you could take these 'all star' teams and let them practice together for a year, then you would have a real competition, as it is, it's just a coin toss of who makes a lucky goal, or doesn't make the save. 

Hard to root for team canada when most of the players are from teams I despise.  There's just so many things wrong with the setup. 

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Woke up this morning to my Facebook filled with this:

1y1nrk.jpg

So of coarse we switched on the TV to watch. We are up at 7 am everyday anyways, the joys of what kids do to you if you are a good parent, up at 7 no matter what.

Then of coarse the Canadian flag has been altered a little since the win of both the men's and women's hockey GOLDS!!!!

20179s.jpg

Salty Cracker link said:
Thank GOD there were no leaf players on team canada to blow the 3-0 lead late in the third.  LOL.

I actually said this to my wife when it got down to the third period. First she said...2-0 at the start of the third...we have this in the bag now, so I reminded her of the womans win. Then she said we have it in the bag now for sure...5 minutes left of the third period. So I said it depends on how may Leaf players are on the team. Thanks for clearing that up, it explains a lot how they held the win :D

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
Not really, I would follow it more if there was an actual canadian olympic team, not just taking professional players from a league and stuffing them together for a more or less unsubstantiated outcome. 

If you could take these 'all star' teams and let them practice together for a year, then you would have a real competition, as it is, it's just a coin toss of who makes a lucky goal, or doesn't make the save. 

Hard to root for team canada when most of the players are from teams I despise.  There's just so many things wrong with the setup.

How would you do it without nhl players?
Because then you would have to do without the KHL, Swedish elite and other leagues as well, so then who is left to play?
Create a team specifically for international comp, ok, but how is that the best of your country competing ?
You can't expect players to pick and international team over the nhl, that's not fair either.

It's not perfect the way it is now, but it works IMO,
Your just grumpy because you missed 2 weeks of your NHL.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=7794.msg82953#msg82953 date=1393179452]

Because then you would have to do without the KHL, Swedish elite and other leagues as well, so then who is left to play?
Create a team specifically for international comp, ok, but how is that the best of your country competing ?
You can't expect players to pick and international team over the nhl, that's not fair either.

[/quote]The Olympics used to be for amatuer athletes. Which meant that if you got paid to play the sport then you couldn't be an olympian.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=7794.msg82966#msg82966 date=1393186464]

[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=7794.msg82953#msg82953 date=1393179452]

[/quote]The Olympics used to be for amatuer athletes. Which meant that if you got paid to play the sport then you couldn't be an olympian.
[/quote]

Yea but don't you want the best of the best to rep your country ?

We should create a poll and see what ppl think. Nhl players or no NHL players.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Torx link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=7794.msg82985#msg82985 date=1393188786]

Yea but don't you want the best of the best to rep your country ?

I thought that is why they did not pick any Leaf players...?
[/quote]

For sure, no super star Canadians on the leafs.
Players did go though -Kessel , jvr, and kulimen

AdamS

Big_Als_London link said:
The Olympics used to be for amatuer athletes. Which meant that if you got paid to play the sport then you couldn't be an olympian.

I hear this from time to time and say look into it, find out which atheletes are not being paid, certainly not any of the ones on the podium.

I really enjoyed the olympics the way it was this year. The best athletes from all over the world at one venue. And after 2 weeks I have had enough.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
AdamS link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=7794.msg83000#msg83000 date=1393190317]
For sure, no super star Canadians on the leafs.
Players did go though -Kessel , jvr, and kulimen

Kessel and jvr went? Really? How did their team make out?
[/quote]

lol

i am grumpy about missing out on 2 weeks of real hockey for this shit.  Straight up.  I think if there hadn't been the bullshit lockout last year it wouldn't be so bad, but goddamit stop fucking with my one and only sport and just let them play. 

Olympians should be amateur athletes.  Period. 

AdamS

My attention span does not last for a full season, olympics was perfect for me.

Everyone I know that is half decent at hockey was paid to play after bantam, so where do you find 'amateur' hockey players?  Hell even the figure skaters are paid, and thats not even a sport...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
AdamS link said:
My attention span does not last for a full season, olympics was perfect for me.

Everyone I know that is half decent at hockey was paid to play after bantam, so where do you find 'amateur' hockey players?  Hell even the figure skaters are paid, and thats not even a sport...

I think if you make over a million a year to play hockey, you're not an amature.  I got paid to play hockey in my day but I don't think I got more than a case of beer per game worth of cash.    :)