Got My First Triton Icp Test Results

Winks

Website Affiliate
Looking good! From what I can see the Mg is up a little but is that really a concern?

harleymike

Super Active Member
Sorry but for 80 plus dollars what did it tell you that you really couldn't have tested on your own.
Not being difficult. Just don't understand how such an expense could be justified.

Matt1997

Pretty cool but as said I don’t understand what this tells you that regular test kit won’t. Quick conversion for some of you, 1 mg/l is equal to 1ppm. It obviously tests a lot more elements then most of us would but is it useful?

Based off a quick search of seawater ppm it looks like the green area is indicative of normalized seawater?

Anyways, your parameters look pretty good. High Mg is not a problem, my Mg levels are always at or above 1500ppm.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Most people test for 5 things and never test for other heavy metals or trade elements. They just assume that only this 5 things matter. If something goes wrong people just ask what levels are at and people test for this 5 things. People just trust that water changes ate keeping everything in check but all systems use trace elements differently and no one ever tests for them because they don't have the 20+ test kits to check everything else. Any of these can crash a tank if left unchecked yet we only test for 5 things and if those 5 are within limits then we are bewildered. I do ther yearly just to know that things are in check. Speaking of that I am due for one.

Sodium (Na), Calcium (Ca), Magnesium (Mg), Potassium (K), Strontium (Sr), Boron (B), Bromine (Br), Sulphur (S), Lithium (Li), Beryllium (Be), Barium (Ba), Titanium (Ti), Vanadium (V), Chromium (Cr), Manganese (Mn), Iron (Fe), Cobalt (Co), Nickel (Ni), Copper (Cu), Zinc (Zn), Aluminium (Al), Silicon (Si), Arsenic (As), Antimony (Sb), Tin (Sn), Cadmium (Cd), Selenium (Se), Molybdenum (Mo), Mercury (Hg), Phosphorus (P), Phosphate (PO4), Lead (Pb), Iodine (I), Tuncsten (W), Scandium (Sc), Lanthanum (La)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Winks

Website Affiliate
I recently had a friend that could not keep a fish alive. Everything they put in the tank died within a week. We talked and talked and talked about water parameters and RODI. They were testing and all 5 major tests were perfect. Nothing to indicate anything was wrong. They were using different test kits, expensive, cheap, you name it they were using it. They took and ICP test and sent it away. It was due to heavy metals. Turned out that there was so much heavy metal in the water that we feel was leaching out of the rocks or substrate. So the $80.00 that was spent on the ICP test is cheap compared to the hundreds of dollars they spent on test kits, fish and still did not have the answer. Is it worth it? In my estimation, yes.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Seems to be worth it in very extreme and unique situations but that’s just my opinion.
I do them to avoid those extreme and unique situations. With all the time and money invested in coral and fish, especially in a larger system, $80 for a test is nothing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Kyle1970

Interesting read.
Are you planning on dosing all the elements that are recommended?
I assume they take into account the way each element interacts with the others?
In this same thought, is there an issue dosing one and not the other elements that were recommended?

I’d like to see the stack of chemicals dumping in the tank on day 1.