Grafting a Nuclear Green and Purple Death Palythoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dr BlueThumb

I allowed them to grow tightly together. then I took a razor and sliced them horizontally and a little vertically, all the while slightly chopping small chunk's of one onto the sliced pieces of the other.

Waited a few week's and up sprouted this:

Picture277.jpg

Decided to frag him onto a separate plug so I know on how the offspring will look over time.

Picture307.jpg

Picture311.jpg

old camera pics for now, I'm still learning to use my dslr.

The mother is over 3 month's old now.

since the pic I sliced the mother in half creating exact doubles

1 offspring is 75% green/25% purple, while the other look's like a tie die shirt pattern mostly purple. there is a third today in which is too early to tell but look's to be leaning on being more purple.

my next Graft will be the zoa which might require a different technique due to being less leathery like and more softer/slimier.

These are the one's I am attempting to graft:

Picture302.jpg

Picture303.jpg

Picture304.jpg

Grafted:

orange/green zoa
green/blue zoa
orange/blue zoa

The next paly will be these 2:

Picture301.jpg

candy apple red/everlasting gobstopper paly

my first attempt at grafting zoa's:

Picture313.jpg

Here I sliced off the head of a orange zoa and added it on top of the sliced area on blue zoa, in which had it's side sliced off. then added crazy glue on the side of the orange zoa head to hold it in place.

It was working until I got impatient with the slow grafting and tried to slice them into each other = fail

I'll try again and post the progress so we know for sure if grafting is possible with zoa's and not only some types of paly's.

D

Dr BlueThumb

Hey Rick how you doing?

They are all my pic's before a large feather duster worm that had one end sewed up when I bought it melted away ( no skimmer ) leaving me with a bad case of zoapox/bacteria infection or something.

paly's are doing good and some zoa's look like they might make it.

I'll start over this time with higher light/a sump/more flow and hopefully some kind of skimmer and small refuge that will fit in a small section in my 15G sump

Picture296.jpg

Picture295.jpg

There will be no access from the sides or back so it's a tight fit

Thinking of getting this style skimmer

12378.jpg

Tunze Nano  doc 9002

or something a tad better if anyone has any suggestion's?

The refuge will probably be in the very front with a light on top and a slow feed from a small pump along with a single baffle.

The mag 3 lift pump will probably have to go in the middle.

DTI 1501

Nice Zoos i have alot of experience with the tunze.Great for the space but made very thin and can break easy.If you only keep coral will work great.I know of a couple for sale but the next size up.I forward you the link if interested.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
They are all my pic's before a large feather duster worm that had one end sewed up when I bought it melted away ( no skimmer ) leaving me with a bad case of zoapox/bacteria infection or something.

paly's are doing good and some zoa's look like they might make it.

That's too bad. You have/had the nicest zoa collection I've ever seen.

Thinking of getting this style skimmer

12378.jpg

Tunze Nano  doc 9002

or something a tad better if anyone has any suggestion's?

I would recommend the Vertex In-80 if there's enough room in your sump.

D

Dr BlueThumb

DTI 1501 link said:
Nice Zoos i have alot of experience with the tunze.Great for the space but made very thin and can break easy.If you only keep coral will work great.I know of a couple for sale but the next size up.I forward you the link if interested.

Sure, send the the link's

thank's

D

Dr BlueThumb

This skimmer look's nice:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-psin080/Vertex+IN-80+In-Sump+Protein+Skimmer+-+Up+to+80+Gallons.html

just not sure on the total footprint with the skimmer return and pump.

That would be sharp with that Teal/Turquoise paly

wouldn't mind trying to combine it with a N.G

then with a P.D

then with the grafted tie die nuclear death just to see if it's possible to combine 3 in 1

Here's my first try in auto with a 18-55 mm len's

Picture332.jpg

Picture330.jpg

DTI 1501

it s on http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/  Look in the trade in section 1 sold only a 9015 left. Im in london alot if you decide to buy i could bring it as far as chatham for you he is in london.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Check out these pics. Apparently other people are having some success with other species of coral as well.

Orange Crush Acan/Green Acan
orangegreenechinata.jpg

Green Acro/Blue Acro

AcroDenvig2.jpg

Green Goniopora/Blue Goniopora
BicolorGoniopora.jpg
arrows.jpg

Red Cap/Green Cap
832.jpg

Red Favia/Green Favia

dragoneye.jpg

D

Dr BlueThumb

frankenbrain-420x280.jpg

tn_echinata_JPG.jpg

not grafted but different

winner.jpg

These are the razor blades that I used, I'm sure you can use a scalpel as well.

Picture342.jpg

Picture343.jpg

I bought them from home depot

which 2 are you attempting to graft together?

I think choosing 2 different polyps that are identical in shape/size/type of polyp with the only difference being their color/color pattern would be your best bet at first, just so you can get the technique right.

D

Dr BlueThumb

That would be sweet.

If you look at my first pic in the thread it kind of look's ugly but the thing that is great about this is that every attempted graft is different and once you get that right graft that you like you can honestly call it a real L.E created only by you something that may be laying in the ocean with million's of other's for all that anyone knows just not yet discovered. 

or the 2 in which you chose to graft might of never crossed path's in nature because they were harvested from 1000's of K's away from one another

with that purposely made L.E you can take your razor and slice it in half carefully to make 2 and so on

so in theory you can fill a plug with that exact morph through slicing in half which later on once sold will give off alternating morph's

with splitting single paly's you just need to slice in half cleanly scoring a few times in the same spot then you let heal and if it doesn't split try again in 2-5 day's and it will eventually split with in 2-3 try's.

D

Dr BlueThumb

I'm going to try to see if I can graft 2 carpet anemone's for fun. once I get them to spread a bit more. and my new tank is set up with 4 t5 h.o A.T.S. I really doubt it thou. but who knows they do come in some freaky color's.

I would pay $100 for 1 anemone, if any one has something like this, or better?
422.jpg

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Dr BlueThumb link said:
I'm going to try to see if I can graft 2 carpet anemone's for fun. once I get them to spread a bit more. and my new tank is set up with 4 t5 h.o A.T.S. I really doubt it thou. but who knows they do come in some freaky color's.

I would pay $100 for 1 anemone, if any one has something like this, or better?
422.jpg
I wonder if that is one of those Maxi Mini Carpet anemones?  They have some cool colours on those anemones.

D

Dr BlueThumb

maxi mini carpet anemone or mini carpet anemone's. I forget which name is if for the larger one's.

The 6 I have are large, almost the size of a hockey puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.