Green Monti caps looking pail.

DerekL

It all makes sense with little to no algae growth and how all my coral have been growing so well. If my phosphates where really that high I shouldn't of seen that kind of growth.

DerekL

I have the Red Sea pro CA\Alk\Mg and the pro phosphate and nitrate. So which test kit is more reliable for phosphates ? Salifert or Red Sea?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
If you're getting the hanna phosphorous checker, you won't need another one. 

+1.

As far as which is the most accurate...I think everyone will have their own opinion.

DerekL

I kinda meant which of the phosphate test kits do i trust. One is telling me 0ppm or undetectable and Red Sea is telling me .08 ppm again and I have not fed fish since last checking. All of the frags I got at ricks frag swap have started encrusting very well. One would think high phosphates would slow growth. My macro algae in my sump is keeping my nitrates in check as they check under 1ppm and I have to thin it out bi weekly

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
havent used a salifert po4 kit myself, but the hanna phosphorous checker is the most accurate by far. i wouldnt worry about chasing some little number so much, sounds like your on your well on your way by what your describe.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Hero link said:
Even at .08 ppm po4....that is not really that high.....have you ever tested the nsw mix?

far drive to the ocean for the nsw isnt it? ;-)

DerekL

Lol actually you know what this year when I go to mexico and go snorkelling at a reef I will collect natural salt water and when I get home run tests and see. But from what I read phosphates test somewhere around .002 ppb or something retardedly low like that and I am sure someone who knows the exact numbers will chime in but seriously I am gonna bring home in my suitcase a bottle of water I will collect from a natural reef and test with kits everyday hobbies use. 

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
DerekL link said:
Lol actually you know what this year when I go to mexico and go snorkelling at a reef I will collect natural salt water and when I get home run tests and see. But from what I read phosphates test somewhere around .002 ppb or something retardedly low like that and I am sure someone who knows the exact numbers will chime in but seriously I am gonna bring home in my suitcase a bottle of water I will collect from a natural reef and test with kits everyday hobbies use. 
take the kits with yu….the ocean won't be the  same when yu get home as the day yu bottled it

DerekL

I but don't a lot of the test kits contain hydrochloric acid or chemicals that's will most likely get me into some sort of trouble going thru customs and I usually fly out of Detroit I would be crossing through 2 international borders. The American one I wouldn't worry so much but I don't speak Spanish so I am not sure that the Mexican custom officials would give two shits about my curiousity of what natural salt water tests to compare to the saltwater I make back home for my reef tank. And if we r that concerned about the water degrading I will get a sample just hours before leaving so it would only be a matter of 8 to 10 hrs before I get home and test.

DerekL

Lol. I will check. Will be doing a water change tomorrow. Would be interesting to actually see though what natural sea water at a reef would test using tests that we use on regular basis. I am sure that what we read about the numbers of ultra low nutrients on a reef are lab tested.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Hero link said:
I was just referring to the new salt water you make to do water changes....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i know, i was just kidding around, usually its asw and nsw, artificial sea water and natural sea water.

no point in checking really either tho as theres a bunch of threads on all the forums already where people have posted detailed test results from various places around the world and specifically the Caribbean, people who use nsw for their tanks.

DerekL

If I had a chance I would use nsw but living in windsor the Detroit River it's just so polluted I don't think it would sustain any life form that I would like to keep lol. But seriously though if I do get to retire in the Carribean I would definately have a nsw reef tank. I would go offshore to collect my water

DerekL

My purple rim green monti is starting to look a lot better just my bright green with blue polyps and my tyree mystic encrusting monti but it's is mostly in the middle that is affected. My mystic you can still see polyp extention on tho so I think it will come back an the other one is showing new growth on te edges but the middle looks like it may not make it so I am gonna let it grow out some then frag the edges. I thought about that tho.