Having An Issue

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have another picture to post, but I can't unzip from my phone currently. It is a top down look at the PAR levels to get a more accurate view of coverage. Keep in mind, the units are cm, not inches.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
My email to him

I got some information now from Fluval and posted it on the site. I have more to go over, but those zoas would probably like being placed a little higher. Also, have you heard of stripping your water, or water is too clean? I think you may not have enough nutrients in the water for the corals you have listed. From the pics you sent, the tank appears almost too clean. I am afraid your elegance and bubble tip are probably toast, start feeding your tank a little more each time slowly so that the fish can eat it up without leaving much on the sandbed. I will hopefully get a chance to look at more later

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I just realized that the graph is for 7.5cm of water. :/ I will post 15cm and 30cm later. Long story short, after 15cm depth, you are dealing with next to nothing lighting wise.

Or am I reading that all wrong guys?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I just realized that the graph is for 7.5cm of water. :/ I will post 15cm and 30cm later. Long story short, after 15cm depth, you are dealing with next to nothing lighting wise.

Or am I reading that all wrong guys?
That's how I read it too.
These are very misleading. You see 312 leds and you're like"wow! That's a lot!"
Until you realize that 312 leds only equal 25watts

That's only 0.08 watts per leds :S

Sony Xperia Z3

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Leds don't go by wats per gallon because it verys between lights& bulbs I was told its a old way of looking at things because leds are so new , I'm wondering if I should just email the companie and tell them what's going on ? If you find reviews on the lights , aparently I haven't read anything bad on them and people say that it grows corals great. Anyways torx made a good point by saying my water maybe "to pure" and I was told this once before but I thought it was a joke, maybe I was wrong I run a e-shop psk100 gallon skimmer for my tank which yes it's over sized , but some day I want to upgrade and I can pAss it on to a new tank and I have a a filstar (s) Cartridge filter (rated up to 35 or 45 gallons can't meber but regardless im running a 20 gallon) I use the best water and salt I can buy/ find and do 25% water changes once ever 6 days I use the best test kits (salifert) what other thing could it be and are you saying the lights are no good ?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
image.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
And it will do all that, but for most corals in your tank, they would need to be placed in the top 10-15 cm or 2 1/2 -5 inches of your tank. I will post a par comparison when I get home.

As for the watt thing, you are right that water per gallon doesn't apply to led. My leds though are 3 watts each though. So compared to leds that are only 0.08watts, they seem a little weak.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Really 2 and a 1/2 inches is like impossible lol highest park in my tank is 7 " from the top

heath

Distinguished Member
omg, I have no idea what that chart means...I hear what your saying, who wants all of their corals 2" from the top.. I'm wishing now I had stayed in class when we covered this stuff in school instead of sneaking out for a smoke..

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Seriously I don't want to doubt my lights being they were 200$ but what should I have got for that price that would 100% work?

heath

Distinguished Member
Its a personal preference, on my fowlr tank I have the cheap Chinese leds and they are fine, on the 75 gal coral tank I prefer T5"s, other members here prefer MH...hw big is your tank, I missed that part..

heath

Distinguished Member
I know that you are new to the hobby, do you know of someone close that could maybe lend you a T5 fixture to try and see if that would help..just a thought..

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Seriously I don't want to doubt my lights being they were 200$ but what should I have got for that price that would 100% work?
They work 100% as advertised. That is why some leds are $200 and others are $400. Your lights contain all the spectrums needed, but not powerful enough for the corals you want to keep.

Mix that with water that is too clean, that is probably where your issue lyes. Turn off your skimmer for a few days and feed a little more

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
You're right about not comparing watts per gallon.

But our point is the strength of your leds may not be able to penetrate far enough to provide adequate light for higher light corals.

These lights should be fine to grow lower light stuff like softies and mushrooms.

Sony Xperia Z3

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Isn't that why I have ? Now I'm lost lol I don't have a friend to let me borrow t5's :( , Guys what should I do ? (Other than turn off skimmer and feed a little more) like I can't even keep snails I had 10 and they all melted in 2 days.... Like turned to mush lol I can't stand it everyone I talked to at my store says my lights fine .. But really I'm at a point where I just don't know what to do anymore :/ and my tanks 15" tall