Hey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Hey Guys ... I am Looking for a Salt water fish Mentor ... someone i can text or email when I have problems .... I am from london Ontario , i just don't really know anyone in the hobbie ... althought I can come on here and make a note .... but when I have quick questions would of be nice to have a texting mentor for my new salt water hobby ... I am just starting out. My name is Matt [PM me for my cell] ... I know this sound creepy I am sorry just thought it would be a easy way to make a friend and have some knowledge....  ;)

Removed phone number ~Torx

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Chewy link said:
Hey Guys ... I am Looking for a Salt water fish Mentor ... someone i can text or email when I have problems .... I am from london Ontario , i just don't really know anyone in the hobbie ... althought I can come on here and make a note .... but when I have quick questions would of be nice to have a texting mentor for my new salt water hobby ... I am just starting out. My name is Matt 519-615-9403 ... I know this sound creepy I am sorry just thought it would be a easy way to make a friend and have some knowledge....  ;)

you could just throw your questions up on here, theres 100's of people willing to give advice usually almost instantly, Welcome to the forums.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Welcome to our fascination!  You'll get good advice here and the combined knowledge of many with years of experience.  Plus, you can make lots of friends here.  Enjoy!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Post your questions/thoughts/experiences on here.....you might find you get a rather quick response ;)
Welcome to the hobby! And welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

B

becca_vienna

I am new here as well!
Posting threads here I find is the best way as you get MANY opinions!
No one person has every answer but collectively you have a huge encyclopedia for free from the amazing people on this forum.

Chewy

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Thank you guys sooo much I appricate all the in site .....  8)

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Welcome Chewy
I'm new here too and just starting out. You'll find some great people here who will jump in with all the answers you need. I started out with a 65 gal fish only, had it running for a couple of years and just bought a 135 with a 40 gal sump(which isn't set up yet) You will find a lot of deals here as well.
enjoy !
sunnykita

Jewel

Hi Chewy and Sunnykita, I'm new here to but not new to Reef Tanks, it's been my hobby for the past 10 years and I've learned alot, most times the hard way. LOL When you first start out it is good to have a Mentor but it's been my expearience over the years that at times it's good to have lessons along the way that you create and learn by those expeariences. We can tell you how to have a succesfull Reef system but that wouldn't be fun and alot of us have our own way of doing things. So ask questions here and read, read, read. And keep asking questions.
What I like about this hobby is how versatile it can be, from DIY projects to all the types of lighting choices to the different size of tanks and the bio-divirsity in them. And especially all the people you meet. Good luck, have fun

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Thanks again Jewel !
Oh yeah, the school of hard knocks is usually how it goes for me
  :? :? and those lessons I don't forget. I have a lot of questions I'll be posting over the next few days,weeks until I get the reno's done and the tank can be moved to it's permanent home
Jewel link said:
Hi Chewy and Sunnykita, I'm new here to but not new to Reef Tanks, it's been my hobby for the past 10 years and I've learned alot, most times the hard way. LOL When you first start out it is good to have a Mentor but it's been my expearience over the years that at times it's good to have lessons along the way that you create and learn by those expeariences. We can tell you how to have a succesfull Reef system but that wouldn't be fun and alot of us have our own way of doing things. So ask questions here and read, read, read. And keep asking questions.
What I like about this hobby is how versatile it can be, from DIY projects to all the types of lighting choices to the different size of tanks and the bio-divirsity in them. And especially all the people you meet. Good luck, have fun

Jewel

Don't let people on this site intiminate you, we all started at sometime even the know it alls LOL Dave. there are no stupid questions and theres lots to learn. I'll tell you about my latest stupid thing i did. I was doing a water change and when I poured the water back into my tank, I poured it in directly over my Crotea Clam. There was 14 inches of water in the tank and the Clam was on the sand but it killed it. The next morning half the flesh was gone and it died, I had that Clam for 5 years and It was gone. Now when I do water changes I take and refill in my sump. Granted my sump will hold 84 gallons but that was my latest lesson. Just ask and keep on asking. That's why we participate in forums.  Jim

P

phi delt reefer

best advice i can give...

dont do anything NEOPIMP advises or has done. 

Remember a smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistake of others... NEOPIMP is neither of those...:D

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Come over to the house some time, I'll show you everything I did.  I wish wish wish someone had given me straight up advice when I started. As it is I'm extremely bitter about the "buy this, oh that died? buy this then, oh that didn't work? then buy this" that I got when I started.  15 years of frustration.  So I am absolutely 100% happy to help anyone if they ask.  I'll show you exactly what I do, and I'll straight up tell you when I'm biased about something (and I'm biased a LOT) :).  I grow sps which (in my opinion) is the hardest coral to keep, but I've kept softies and lps.  I just want people to honestly enjoy the hobby, maybe someday get better at it than I am as sell me some killer frags.

I am also not against a free timmys coffee when you come though.  8)

Jewel

I know the feeling, when I started I paid 12 bucks a pound for rock, Had a Power Compact light and then I bought 2x 250 Halides from a store and the " Dimmable " ballasts lasted 3 months, crappy skimmers, Terrible advice I got so upset that I got banned from Dukes site for being so frustrated by crappy advice. Then I met a fellow Reefer who became a good friend and we muddled through everything together. Long story short, 8 tanks, 50 grand and alot of lessons learned.

Hey Chewey you live in London go check out his tank and take a note pad and pen cause you'll never remember it all.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Jewel link said:
I know the feeling, when I started I paid 12 bucks a pound for rock, Had a Power Compact light and then I bought 2x 250 Halides from a store and the \" Dimmable \" ballasts lasted 3 months, crappy skimmers, Terrible advice I got so upset that I got banned from Dukes site for being so frustrated by crappy advice. Then I met a fellow Reefer who became a good friend and we muddled through everything together. Long story short, 8 tanks, 50 grand and alot of lessons learned.

Hey Chewey you live in London go check out his tank and take a note pad and pen cause you'll never remember it all.

Yeah, I'm 20 grand into a 5 grand tank.  Lol. 

sunnykita

Super Active Member
oh geez ! now I know I really can't afford this hobby LOL - the upside is that I don't have anyone to tell me I can't spend on it. Hmmm, maybe that's not such a good thing ! :?

Jewel

It can be expensive that's for sure but it doesn't have to be. The mistake that most people make is trying to cheap out on the equipment. And another thing is thinking you can recoup your costs by selling everything and that doesn't work cause people won't pay for our mistakes. And there's so many gadgets out there that you don't need.  There are some basics to remember, Great water quality, Great Filtration that means a Skimmer and very good lighting but there are so many choices out there. What type of lighting do you have and your 135 is a nice size for a Reef tank, lots of room for fish to swim and lots of display area for corals.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Hi Jewel - thanks so much for the advice
I need to add all my equip to my signature
this is what I got with the tank. I haven't go the sump up and running yet. I have to have a wall taken out to get the tank in the final position, soon, but not soon enough. Life gets in the way LOL

tank and stand - 135 gal
sump set up      including all plumbing (over 100 alone) and blue line 40 return pump
fluval 404         
fluval 405 
mh light      -pfo lighting 2 175mh with 2 96 pc - new mh bulbs and 3 brand new spares as well to go with it. The lights are on timers as well.
hob reef octopus skimmer BH 2000 - loving the job this does.
Water quality is becoming very important to me - as it should and I'm wondering what type of test kits are the favourites. I have API  and realize that they aren't the greatest.

I don't want to highjack this thread, so i'll start a new one and ask a couple of questions.
I love this group for all the help they willingly give to anyone new who really doesn't know what they're doing and found out after they found other stores and this group not the lfs. I now realize why they don't have a lot of salt water stuff.
thanks again !

Jewel link said:
It can be expensive that's for sure but it doesn't have to be. The mistake that most people make is trying to cheap out on the equipment. And another thing is thinking you can recoup your costs by selling everything and that doesn't work cause people won't pay for our mistakes. And there's so many gadgets out there that you don't need.  There are some basics to remember, Great water quality, Great Filtration that means a Skimmer and very good lighting but there are so many choices out there. What type of lighting do you have and your 135 is a nice size for a Reef tank, lots of room for fish to swim and lots of display area for corals.

Status
Not open for further replies.