Homegrown Leaf?

Matt1997

Again, this is a financial decision on the part of the leaf ownership, and not racist merely because I pointed it out. (plus I have no issue with the 'turban folk') :)
Ignoring +/- has nothing to do with liking teams that win cups. The chances of a team winning the cup are so slim regardless of the +/- statistic. Just based off of regular equal probability each team should win the cup within 31 years. This means that since the NHL expansion each team should have won the cup at least once. If your team won the cup since 2000 you should not expect another win until 2030. Leafs have not won since 1967 (the year of the expansion) so based off equal probability it shouldn’t be astonishing that they have not won yet. Especially if you consider the 1993 playoff year as one they should have won if it wasn’t for Gretzkys missed high stick on Dougy. I find the “this is the year” statement a load of bullshit. As seen this year by VGK making it to the finals and Washington winning, it’s a very unpredictable league. This is why sport betting websites have suck a high payout if you predict the overall winner (300:1). Since you seem to be keen on +/- why not ignore Tavares and his teams +/- and look at where he is going then. Austin Matthews (+25), Zach Hyman (+22), and Nylander (+20) all ranking in the upper 50 for last season with the majority (66% of the team) having a positive +/-. I see Tavares coming into a “successful” franchise by your standards.

As for the race comment, it was not a necessary or relevant comment. The Toronto franchise has never struggled in selling tickets. Regardless of the change in audience that you are observing.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Good lord they're not going to put kadri with those two superstars are they? Stick him on the 4th line, let him work his way to 3rd.

sorry, I just can't argue hockey when it's 100 deg out. I'll pick this back up in Oct when I can put some more mental work into analyzing the stats. Plus, hopefully I'll be able to see how the teams are playing this year, because stats from last year may not mean shit this year. (I've also never heard of GAR so I'll have to look into that, is it something leaf fans made up to make their team look better?) ;)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'll also go on record as saying that I very much hope I'm wrong about the leafs (for the sake of the poor overdue fans). I've just been watching them for 45 years, and suspect nothing really has changed.