I might just be done with this hobby....

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
the manufacturer isnt going to do anything, you drilled 2 holes in it and added a ton of weight to the back pane... thats what they are going to say.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Duke link said:
the manufacturer isnt going to do anything, you drilled 2 holes in it and added a ton of weight to the back pane... thats what they are going to say.

this isnt what i think personally, but thats what they are going to say.. i think its a bunch of BS and whoever built that thing sucks.. big time.. i would be delivering that thing through their front window probably.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:

I don't know about that... I cant tell the setup but almost every back-drilled tank has plumbing hanging off it.  unless that 90 deg bend at the bottom really torqued the crap out of the glass (possibly). 

The tank seems salvageable.  I would say remove the silicone, properly re-caulk and totally rethink your overflow setup (maybe install a coast to coast inside to help brace things) and probably at least 2 braces on the top.  It's a nice looking tank, and fortunately it didn't crack or explode. 

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I kinda wondered when I saw the first pics of.the new tank...

Back in the day when curved corner bowfronts came out, the front/side panel was made of the same molded high acrylic glass that windshields are made of.  It wasn't too long before people found out the hard way that silicone doesn't adhere to acrylic the way that it does to regular glass.  So that technology was relegated to small aquariums only, like the little biocubes and such.  Look into the composition before you get too deep into fixing it.

I still have that 72 bow that would need a cosmetic reseal, that you could use 48 hrs and good to go or if you have room for something 6'x3' you can still borrow my acrylic sump.

Jewel

I thought it looked like it needed to be braced by the original photos but hey who would think it would separate so fast. It's really a terrible situation, why don't you call Aaron and see if he has the space for your SPS, you could always provide the light for it or call Phil and go get his 75, it's cheap enough for the short term. I know it smaller but it might work for the interm.

Jewel

Or better yet call Sealife, Just put your SPS in their tank for a bit, I know some of the Toronto stores have done this in the past.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Hey Brandon
Gary and Linda do have tanks for babysitting fish and corals, I'd give them a call, they'll jump in to do what they can. Gary may even have some brilliant ideas for the tank. I am so sorry that you are still living in a nightmare. Don't give up, you love this hobby too much.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
sunnykita link said:
Hey Brandon
Gary and Linda do have tanks for babysitting fish and corals, I'd give them a call, they'll jump in to do what they can. Gary may even have some brilliant ideas for the tank. I am so sorry that you are still living in a nightmare. Don't give up, you love this hobby too much.

thanks guys i msged them, waiting for a reply

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
At this point you may be down for a week .take the tank to Gary have him strip it, re caulk it .
reassemble  it. Very nice looking tank

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk HD

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
pulpfiction1 link said:
At this point you may be down for a week .take the tank to Gary have him strip it, re caulk it .

From what some of these guys are saying, with it being defective, drilled in the wrong spots? , needs bracing, I don't think resealing it would be worth it.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
pulpfiction1 link said:

if yu got gary to reseal that tank.    it may be better then its ever been ..but with the dimsesions of it... 140 gallon. high and long.  isnt that to much weight outwards with it being rimless ?

Jewel

I know that Advanced Aquatics in Milton make a one piece Euro brase that'll sit on top and tie it all together if you're thinking about saving the tank Give them a call, Flavio is a good friend of mine and he'll be able to tell you if it's worth fixing, Just mention my name to him. Send him some pics. He's the best guy to help you at this point.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Jewel link said:
I know that Advanced Aquatics in Milton make a one piece Euro brase that'll sit on top and tie it all together if you're thinking about saving the tank Give them a call, Flavio is a good friend of mine and he'll be able to tell you if it's worth fixing, Just mention my name to him. Send him some pics. He's the best guy to help you at this point.

I know he charges $400 for his one piece eurobracing for a 72"x24"

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
imagine how much extra it would be for the curve.. not worth it.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Duke link said:
Duke link said:
Duke link said:
if yu decide not to use it as a  fish tank  ..yur other option is yo reseal it amd use as a reptile tank

Jewel

Atleast that way you'd get exactly what you want. Should of bought that 150 from me last year. What ever you do Good Luck.

Jewel

Even if you Brace the top, you'd probably have to do something with the bottom, too bad really cause it's a nice tank, My 70 has thicker glass than it, Looks like a white elephant to me. I wonder who built that tank?