I might just be done with this hobby....

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Jewel link said:
Even if you Brace the top, you'd probably have to do something with the bottom, too bad really cause it's a nice tank, My 70 has thicker glass than it, Looks like a white elephant to me. I wonder who built that tank?

I would bet it came from China.
I have seen some funky designs from over there.

Not saying they can't make a nice tank, it all depends on the individual manuafacturer.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Sorry about your luck, a lot of work down the drain, I wonder if the tank was made with silicone sealant instead of adhesive.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
When you first sent me the kijiji link I was 100% positive I had seen that tank for sale several years ago.  Probably been sitting dry for a long long time. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jewel

That can't be the only reason it failed, even drilling it wouldn't do it, I've seen 155 Bow tanks before and they were all braced, Bad design. That's about it. That doesn't help you now though. I'm sure we all wish you better luck in the future. One day you'll look back and say remember when and you might grin about it.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I sold off a large selection of my sps and kept a few pieces I really wanted in my old 65g sump,

Well my ehiem jäger heater went haywire over night and the temp climbed to 78 degrees and most of my fav pieces rtn'd.

Yay... Still can't catch a fucking break

nexusnight

78f? That's doesn't sound too bad isn't that where most run their tanks? Sorry bout ur luck man I hate seeing other people havin problems. I'm a ways away here in London but if I can help at all lemme know.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
nexusnight link said:
78f? That's doesn't sound too bad isn't that where most run their tanks? Sorry bout ur luck man I hate seeing other people havin problems. I'm a ways away here in London but if I can help at all lemme know.

That's what I thought, but maybe because they were at 74-75 for a couple days?

Or maybe it's something else?
I dunno, either way most of em are dead, I'm turned the heater off and I'll plug my carbon reactor in and see if that can save the rest...

nexusnight

Even 74-75 I think there must b another factor. How's ur ur alk ect? I know it's really hard to keep params stable for sps without dosing pumps in a small water volume.... Compared to ur DT anyway. If they change was sudden that May have done it but chances are they come up to temp like they were acclimated no?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
nexusnight link said:
Even 74-75 I think there must b another factor.

+1

When I posted recently off topic about a new furnace, it til almost a week to get it arranged and done and space heaters and tank heaters didn't keep up so my tanks were both in the high 60's for a few days and nothing seemed to be harmed.

Victoss

Damn, they say bad things happen in 3's so lets hope this is the end of it. Hopefully you can salvage some of them, the ones i grabbed from you went from your system to mine at 77-78 and so far their all fine. If you need any frags of them in the future just let me know.

chief hill

Maybe it's been asked but there has to be some kind of root cause for this to happen. In lieu of bad luck. I'd think the stand or floor itself maybe slightly out. Just enough to cause an issue to transfer to tank. Was it on Styrofoam?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
chief hill link said:
Maybe it's been asked but there has to be some kind of root cause for this to happen. In lieu of bad luck. I'd think the stand or floor itself maybe slightly out. Just enough to cause an issue to transfer to tank. Was it on Styrofoam?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

its on concrete floor in my basement,
and yea it was on 1'' of styro.

nexusnight

Just a curiosity but was the stand level in all directions? If was leaning forward at all that would greatly increase the load on the front glass panel.styro only takes out small imperfections. I know most concrete floors in a basement are sloped for water to flow to a storm drain.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
nexusnight link said:
Just a curiosity but was the stand level in all directions? If was leaning forward at all that would greatly increase the load on the front glass panel.styro only takes out small imperfections. I know most concrete floors in a basement are sloped for water to flow to a storm drain.

It is a tiny bit off. But I had a 180g in the exact same spot for 8 months with no issues.

nexusnight

A regular tank might b able to withstand that but that now front with only two seams IMO would be greatly affected. Figure that's likely close to 1400lbs of water pushing against that solid panel. Just trying to help find a cause.