I think my tank is crashing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

partydiver

So I woke up this morning and noticed my cadycane releasing slime. So I turned on the lights and my water was super cloudy, so I decided to do a 5g water change. Now: The tank is still cloudy, it stinks, coral are all still shrivelled up, and one sps looks bleached... So I did another 5g water change...

Nothing in the tank died, all inhabitants are acting normal.
I also tested all my params and they all came back normal.........

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Sounds sort of like something went toxic in there.  Do you have a big leather coral? 

How are you testing parameters?  Seems to me that something should have come back wonky....

partydiver

I do have a Toadstool Mushroom but it isn't that big.
Tanks been running for about 2 years.

Should I try and go for one more water change tonight which would make 15/28g changed

dale

when my tank/s go cloudy i usually just assume its some sort of bacteria bloom,, backed up by the skimmer going crazy,,, if it doesnt clear by morning , i would do a 10g waterchange, multiple small waterchanges are not really that drastic, i would usually go for a bigger waterchange to help ward off problems., .,, just one of many possible problems or solutions.,,

partydiver

Now with my skimmer on high gear, its a tad clearer, and some of my bambams are slightly open.

I also noticed almost all my anemones are in the middle of splitting  :?, ill have some BTA frags soon i guess

davesolo29

Super Active Member
i have noticed that anenomes tend to split quite often in higher salinity levels...
what is your tanks salinity at?  if its high it could also be pissing off your corals.

partydiver

So:
-Still a bit cloudy
-Still smells like  :poop:
-Most anemones moved spots...
-Algae die off
-Now there is a green slime algae on the sand or something, almost like red slime but thicker and dark green.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
sounds like some serious die off or something, maybe it was a bacterial bloom. its a small tank right? i'd do a big water change, like 50% if it was my tank. and test for ammonia, if its present i'd start dosing something like prime or amquel asap.

spyd

Super Active Member
Definitely go with large water changes. 50% is good considering it is a small tank. Also, siphon as much of the green slime that you can so it does not pollute your tank.

partydiver

Some pics came out some didn't, due to water still a bit cloudy...
DSC_3420.jpg

My candy canes

DSC_3419.jpg

Some Zoas

DSC_3418.jpg

SPS

DSC_3417.jpg

Xenia all shrivelled up

DSC_3416.jpg

Usually big maxi mini, now size of nickel

DSC_3414.jpg

My now bleached SPS

My BTAs are super small and my biggest one seems to be losing pieces of its self as its moving around....

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
massive water changes.  If that is bacteria bloom and things are dieing then as the corspes are decomposing its using up the o2 in the water.  up the areation with bubblers,  powerheads at the surface etc.  Amquel or Prime as needed.

Other than that I am really not sure what else you can do other than maybe move your corals out of the tank and into a bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.