Intoduction

TessG

Hello to all,

I'm TessG from Calgary Alberta. I am still new with this hobby and just started last year. I would like to share some of my experiences as well as to learn from others on this site.

dale

wow,, thats a nice tank... welcome... i dunno if i believe the "im still new" bit... your tank looks like your an old pro..
good job!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Looks good. They do all look like mariculture pieces? Did you recently just stock it with fresh sps? Only way I could see you being new to hobby lol, beautiful tank :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TessG

Thank you Dale.
To davesolo29, Yes I just started last year April but I do not have the experience yet. I did not know that I need to cycle first that's why my 29 gals crash and I re-built again using 55 gals. Now I am enjoying it, I'm building a little bit bigger rimless but I am still waiting for the fabricator to complete the stand and tank.
To unibob, Yes, I started buying corals that are in colony so you will see that they are not small frags anymore. Once I knew how to take care of small pieces, I will try to learn how to frag, but later.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Welcome and enjoy your stay.  There's a ton to be learned from some of the guys here.  Very nice tank.  Hopefully we can help you keep it nice for years to come :)

TessG

Thank you Salty Cracker. It was my first time to joint this kind of website. I find it enjoying, discussing with the members how's your personal experience is going on with this hobby. So many thing to learn here.

TessG

Thanks EricTMah. It's really a great place, I was reading some post and I've figure out some answers to my previous problems with my tank. I wish I've knew this site since I started my first saltwater tank.

Yes, my tank is 55 gals which I upgraded from 29gals. First time, I crash the system, didn't know that I need to cycle it first. Lessons learned, expensive though...

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Tank looks great, the 3 tangs in a 55g has my tang police alarm going off but I understand your going to upgrade shortly so I'll let it slide ;)

Welcome too by the way :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
EricTMah link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=8211.msg86969#msg86969 date=1395608246]
3 tangs in a 55g has my tang police alarm going off

Was wondering who was going to say it first  ;)
[/quote]

Nvm I see 4!
Tsk tsk :p

TessG

Thank youPoseidon.
I really didn't know how many fishes should I keep in my 55, but anyways, if I am upgrading to 120 gal, how many big fishes as big as my yellow tang can go to a 120gals tank? Anybody know?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
TessG link said:
Thank youPoseidon.
I really didn't know how many fishes should I keep in my 55, but anyways, if I am upgrading to 120 gal, how many big fishes as big as my yellow tang can go to a 120gals tank? Anybody know?

Those 4 tangs would be pushing it even in a 120 "AT FULL SIZE"
They will take years to get to full size but they grow ;)

In a 120 I would do a 3 max IMO, but others would disagree.
For other fish it's not as picky it's just that tangs grow so big.
Blue tang 9" long in my sump right now lol.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I think you are at capacity for large fish.  And if that 120 does not happen there is no way 4 tangs should remain in the 55gallon. To some people those 4 in a 120gal tank is still pushing it.  :)

Welcome:)

TessG

Thank you MrHermit85. Yes, quite busy, reading, watching you-tube trying to learn from others how saltwater works. It's good that there is a site like this though.

TessG

Thanks Neopimp for the advice. So even this hobby is so addictive, I can't buy any big fishes anymore. I will try to concentrate on SPS then.