Iphone vs Blackberry

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I have an iPhone, wish I had an Android.  We use a Blackberry for the on-call phone that gets passed around our team, I hate it.  Battery life is about the only thing it has on the iPhone.

The only big plus about the iPhone for me is the app selection.  And I like the compact size, I've got a 4s and when I've got it in the front pocket of my jeans it still leaves room for other stuff.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Apps on iPhone, no matter what anyone says, are superior.  That's about the only thing apple did right, except using gorrilla glass.  Android apps are like the phones...all over the map in terms of quality.

What's funny is it was Tony's 'phone' that put the nail in the coffin for android for me.  I was going to ask him how he liked it, but then I saw the glass in a billion shattered pieces lol.

I set the flash to light up on an incoming text, and the girl at the Bay thought I was taking pictures of her and came over and said "you can't do that in here".  I was just texting and getting a response.  Apple REALLY should put a little led on the front for notifications. 

Everyone says I'll get used to it, and worst comes to worst I can sell it and get a real phone again.  We'll see.  I just have to keep it in good shape until then. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Poseidon link said:
It really comes down to preference
I use the iPhone 5 for business every day and find I can organize my appointments and schedule no problem ( I did like the last operating system better)

I've met people who hate blackberry, iPhone, Samsung etc etc, to each his own, if one was a distinct winner it would be the only surviving phone :)

Heh, some of us have more than 1 appointment a month and put a bit more stress on our phones  ;)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
My opinion, people who use the phone for business all day and have no control about that,  get a blackberry. Ie realtors, on call people.

Anyone else can use what ever they want.  ny of the super phones will drain the battery quickly under continual use.

I have not used any of the new gen blackberry so I do not know what their battery life is like,  older blackberry lasts forever

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Neopimp link said:
My opinion, people who use the phone for business all day and have no control about that,  get a blackberry. Ie realtors, on call people.

Anyone else can use what ever they want.  ny of the super phones will drain the battery quickly under continual use.

I have not used any of the new gen blackberry so I do not know what their battery life is like,  older blackberry lasts forever

I have a 3 year old torch and the battery lasts ~2 days of average use (5-10 calls per day, 50-100 texts).  It used to last 3-5 days without a charge.  I always charge it every night anyway now, but I used to just let it run out so that I could train the battery to discharge then charge.

I may look into one of those charge cases, but yeah it sucks for an extra $100 on top of a $900 phone.  That's insane and if they hadn't given me the phone for $0 (!)  I would never have gone this route.  Gotta love a free phone that you can bitch and moan about but others would kill for :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Neopimp link said:

im a realtor, use an iphone 5 :)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
BB10 phones are pretty good. Battery is not as good as older generation phones but new tech like LTE, wife, personal hot spots, larger brighter screens, faster processor all take more juice. My Z10 lasts me all day for work and in most cases it's my only communication tool throughout the day.

Down side is lack of apps. Not that I'm a app guy but there have been a few that I wanted that were not available for bBB10

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Darryl_V link said:
BB10 phones are pretty good. Battery is not as good as older generation phones but new tech like LTE, wife, personal hot spots, larger brighter screens, faster processor all take more juice. My Z10 lasts me all day for work and in most cases it's my only communication tool throughout the day.

Down side is lack of apps. Not that I'm a app guy but there have been a few that I wanted that were not available for bBB10

Yeah to be honest it's the apps (plus the offer of a free 5s 64GB) that made me try it.  I have an ipad and it's fantastic for apps...games etc.  It's pretty cool being able to carry every tune I ever want to hear with me, and have entertainment if I am stuck waiting for a client.  There's just things the BB is sooooo good at.  Hopefully I'm wrong and BB isn't about to go over a cliff. 

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
BB is designed for stone age work and will most likely go under soon, IMHO, time to adjust as most companies are. My old IT guys all had iPhones while the management had BB. Why would the techy's have iPhones when they use their phones 100x as much as the management? I personally will not go with BB or iPhone again. I will not use iPhone because of the control they hold over you in the OS and the missing things in the OS. I love my Galaxy S II. So does my wife. I live on my phone, literally, and will only use an Android.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Im not sure how a BB10 is for stoneage work and any different fundamentally from an android or iphone?  We have an asus android tablet that has software issues and my wife has an iphone 5.  I've tried them all and none of them are perfect but all offer similar features but some are slightly better at some things and some better at others.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
If you could take the battery and keyboard out of the BB, and the apps and touchscreen out of the iphone, and the price out of the android and smoosh them together, you would have a great phone.

Android suffers from hippy-ism.  Too much anti-this and occupy-that for my liking. Apple is and has always been the polar opposite of that, too much "we're going to fuck you out of every penny you own".  BB was just rock solid and it worked.  It's unfortunate that they did themselves in (or they got bloated heads and didn't think the competition could touch them). 

(heh and honestly who cares what the tech department uses, they only want to look up proof that kirk is better than picard)    ;)  :popcorn:

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Darryl_V link said:
Im not sure how a BB10 is for stoneage work and any different fundamentally from an android or iphone?  We have an asus android tablet that has software issues and my wife has an iphone 5.  I've tried them all and none of them are perfect but all offer similar features but some are slightly better at some things and some better at others.

They're not much different anymore at all.  Data processing seems similar, interface, etc.  They don't have the apps the other platforms have (and they tend to charge WAAAAY too much for the apps they do), but when they sold off BBM I knew the writing was on the wall.  They'll be an android derivative at some point and in some form.  If I'm wrong about it, I'll likely be back at some point :)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Petercar link said:
the one thing i dont like about cell phones    is they all say yu have to have a voice plan.  cant have a cell phone eith just data and text

I have a data and text msg plan only through Rogers for my profilux SMS module.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chief hill

I have had them all. I'm currently running Samsung Galaxy s3. I love Android and it's leaps and bounds above apple. Why? . Because apple is proprietary to everything.  Android isn't.  My bb 9900 is for work. It's a joke in comparison to any modern devices.  It's really slow it's good on battery and it's free so I use it but even then as a business device it's still a joke.  Crappy looking email interface slow Internet. Etc. .  But if I had a choice I'd only use Android or Bb 10 type. Bb will be able to use the Android market if they cannot already on the new series devices. 
I'll never go near apple again. 

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Ya you cant really compare android and apple devies to the older bb models.  That was bb down fall they thought they had great market share and stopped innovating, bb10 was about 2 yrs late.  The playbook was a total piece of crap and that didnt help.  They should have stuck with a customized android platform and started putting them out years ago, instead they started late and insisted on there own platform which took forever to develop but is pretty good.  But alas no one cares cause its too late.

I hear you might be able to buy and load android apps sometime in the new year with out all the bugs and work arounds you have to do now.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
Apps on iPhone, no matter what anyone says, are superior.  That's about the only thing apple did right, except using gorrilla glass.  Android apps are like the phones...all over the map in terms of quality.

What's funny is it was Tony's 'phone' that put the nail in the coffin for android for me.  I was going to ask him how he liked it, but then I saw the glass in a billion shattered pieces lol.

I set the flash to light up on an incoming text, and the girl at the Bay thought I was taking pictures of her and came over and said \"you can't do that in here\".  I was just texting and getting a response.  Apple REALLY should put a little led on the front for notifications. 

Everyone says I'll get used to it, and worst comes to worst I can sell it and get a real phone again.  We'll see.  I just have to keep it in good shape until then.

Apple invented apps ...  how can you compare to a company that stole the idea?

The one and only thing I hate about apple is that IOS7 . I stuck with the old software.

Glen did you let the phone completely die before charging it fully when you got it ?