Is Dosing Necessary? Frustrated.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
You need to realize that every tank is different.
The ONLY way to determine dosing needs is by testing, testing and testing again.
You can ask everyone here until you're blue in the face. But what works for other members may not work for you. Each and every system is different. Especially when it comes to dosing requirements.
Don't get hung up asking these questions that you'll never get a definite answer to. The only way to know your dosing needs is to know your own system!
That will change as well. As corals mature, they will require different dosing.

As for kalk. Once you've settled the lime water out and used the clear liquid. Discard and rinse what's left and start a whole new batch with new kalk powder and new Rodi water

Sony Xperia Z3

Last edited:

Canadianeh

You need to realize that every tank is different.
The ONLY way to determine dosing needs is by testing, testing and testing again.
You can ask everyone here until you're blue in the face. But what works for other members may not work for you. Each and every system is different. Especially when it comes to dosing requirements.
Don't get hung up asking these questions that you'll never get a definite answer to. The only way to know your dosing needs is to know your own system!
That will change as well. As corals mature, they will require different dosing.

As for kalk. Once you've settled the lime water out and used the clear liquid. Discard and rinse what's left and start a whole new batch with new kalk powder and new Rodi water

Sony Xperia Z3

I realized long time ago that every tank IS different. You can tell from my questions that I am very new to reefing, and perhaps the way I ask questions are not the same with if they were come from your POV or other experienced reefers. I also do realize that what works for others may not work for me, however by asking lots of questions (in addition to reading articles) I also learn that I get to see what everyone else are doing, and I will be able to choose which way I want to go. It is public forum anyway, and if no one asking questions then it will be a very quite forum. Pardon me if there is a limit of questions or how questions should be asked in such way. I am sure some others may learn from my questions and answers provided.

I can tell how annoyed you are with my questions, so please feel free to hit the snooze button each time you see my question. I also belong to few other forums and I gather answers from all of the forums to make up my own decision. I also understand that no one is obligated to answer any questions from anyone, so I was just throwing them out there and hope for someone knowledgeable, patience, and willing to share their opinion.

At the end always appreciate your insight on reefing topics.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
By no means am I telling you not to ask questions. That's how we learn.
But your questions have been answered by many experienced reefers who have successful tanks.
I was reiterating what was already discussed in this thread.
Seems like you're looking for that magical answer. Which will never happen in this hobby.
You will have to test and determine what your system needs to keep it healthy and successful.
As a newbie to the hobby you will have to spend more time testing and seeing what your system requires.
I understand the want for gaining as much knowledge as you can. But as stated before. You will not know if simple WC's alone will be able to meet the requirements of your system. Especially this early on
I've been in this hobby and industry for a very long time. The one mistake people do that leads to failure is over complicate things. Take it week by week. Performing regular maintenance and testing to determine how your tank will mature and what it will require to have it be healthy.

Sony Xperia Z3

Kman

Super Active Member
Don't take it to personal Eric is Mr grumpy pants. :p

I would not overthink it. This hobby unfortunately has gotten to the point where it has to much information and to many opinions so it is overwhelming with so much info and it needs to be sorted. Like mentioned test weekly to see what your needs are and take it from there. Keep in mind as the tank ages and changes so will your needs.
In my experience when the tank is new with small frags for most people regular water changes keep up with needs and unless you have large fast growing colonies dosing just complicates things and causes issues. If your tanks needs dosing above what water changes can do for you then you should look into it. But it really depends on what is in your tank and how large and what type your corals are. SPS frags for instance don't use nearly as much up as say large colonies would. Or say if your tank is soft corals, mushrooms and zoes your needs are different then say LPS or SPS. Just test weekly and keep watching your system. You system will show you when you have an issue or if it needs something. It just takes time for you to be able to see the signs and properly interpret them. In time you will be able to eye ball it like me or someone who has experience. Till then just keep researching and paying attention to your system. Enjoy the stages and what you have and nt what you think you should have. No need to rush just enjoy your system and its complex interactions. Gain some confidence over time as things start to go your way. This hobby can be frustrating but it is well worth it.

Canadianeh

But your questions have been answered by many experienced reefers who have successful tanks.
Seems like you're looking for that magical answer. Which will never happen in this hobby.
You will have to test and determine what your system needs to keep it healthy and successful.
As a newbie to the hobby you will have to spend more time testing and seeing what your system requires.
I understand the want for gaining as much knowledge as you can. But as stated before. You will not know if simple WC's alone will be able to meet the requirements of your system. Especially this early on
I've been in this hobby and industry for a very long time. The one mistake people do that leads to failure is over complicate things. Take it week by week. Performing regular maintenance and testing to determine how your tank will mature and what it will require to have it be healthy.

Sony Xperia Z3

I think what you need to change here is your view that assumed I am looking for that magical answer. To out it bluntly, I am not looking for magical answer. I already specified on my previous response that I ask people questions and get to see what they do on their end that works for them. I will then summarize my own opinion and conclusion. Yes of course I see other threads with similar topics, but I want to see if there are fresh ideas from people who used to be newbie and now are more experienced. Reefing and science and technology are closely related. New members that joined started 2 years ago might discovered something new that another joe that started 10 years ago didn't know. I like to hear people's opinions and discuss with them and have interactions.

I don't shy away from testing. I have invested in different test kits (Idip and full line of test kits from Red Sea) just to make sure I have dependable and reliable test kits. I do like chores and the rituals such as WC, weekly testing and etc.

We can't just assume that people who ask same questions that were asked by others in the past are people who look for magical answer. If you look around in different forums, this is what most people do in general they ask questions and most of them are the same questions that asked by some joes a while ago. This is not something new and people learn differently and different pace.

Most of the questions here already been asked and answered by someone else in the past. Now what? Should we convert all the threads to articles, and don't allow people to ask questions of the same questions already been answered in the past?

Take it easy please. My questions were never intended to annoy you. I am doing and learning at the same time as I go.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
You're also assuming about my responses as well.
I may come off abrasive. But I've been doing this long enough that I am direct to the point and don't sugar coat things.
Some people I just rub the wrong way with my responses.
Either way. Good luck with the tank and remember not to over think things. The knowledge and experience will come in time.

Sony Xperia Z3

Canadianeh

You're also assuming about my responses as well.
I may come off abrasive. But I've been doing this long enough that I am direct to the point and don't sugar coat things.
Some people I just rub the wrong way with my responses.
Either way. Good luck with the tank and remember not to over think things. The knowledge and experience will come in time.

Sony Xperia Z3

Never assumed.

That makes it the two of us. I tell people directly and don't sugar coat things.

Thanks for your input like always.

SpongeAl

I have question for someone who uses Kalkwasser in their ATO.

Let's say if you have add 1 teaspoon of Kalk powder in a 2.5 gallons reservoir. Do you add more Kalkwasser powder each time you refill, OR do you just shake the reservoir jug only since there will be some kalkwasser powder left in the jug, OR do you completely rinse it out and add a new RODI water and add 1 teaspoon of Kalk powder?

Yes you would add a bit more kalk every time you add top up water, as the assumption is that those elements are being consumed.

As mentioned, RODI water will only hold so much kalk before it settles to the bottom, (Unless you add vinegar) In my case, I usually add a bit more then the full dose, so over time I can see it collect in the bottom of the reservoir, so I might not add any for a while until it gets used up a bit.

I will add that there are instructions for mixing, settling and skimming kalkwasser brand I use, but I have been just dumping it in the ATO reservoir and pouring in the RODI water, leave the ATO plugged for a half hour. I cant recommend this, but I havent had an issue doing this.

Also, before did you test for Alk everyday for one week to see how much Alk your tank uses, and then use the Kalk powder? How do you know how much Kalk powder to use in ATO?

Honestly I haven't checked ALK in the context of my kalkwasser dosing. I see a positive result, so I guess that is a test in a way.

Now I think I mentioned in this thread or another about doing a significant water change from time to time, this alleviates the concern of things getting too far out of wack, as a big water change is a good reset of parameters and rids the tank of pollutants that build up from doing too small of water changes.

Now again, guys with big tanks might not have this luxury of big periodic water changes, (or maybe they do), but it was one of the many factors in deciding on my current system size (22.22 gallons) If I change out 5 or 10 gallons, it is significant and easy to do.

ALowe

FISH FIGHT

In all seriousness tho, Eric is right. testing is the only way you'll figure your tank out. but if you're not planning on keeping corals, nitrates an phosphates are all u need tro concern yourself. read up on other elements but don't concern yourself with them. knowledge is power and reefing is luck.

Canadianeh

FISH FIGHT

In all seriousness tho, Eric is right. testing is the only way you'll figure your tank out. but if you're not planning on keeping corals, nitrates an phosphates are all u need tro concern yourself. read up on other elements but don't concern yourself with them. knowledge is power and reefing is luck.

I agree luck has a place in reefing. No one including me ever against testing. If you see my build thread, I posted my test results each time I tested my tank.

pauls

Never deal with this user

Sony Xperia Z3

If I had three thousand posts I would also realize the question had been answered many many time.s

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
If I had three thousand posts I would also realize the question had been answered many many time.s
Eric was just referring to the question being answered many times in this thread...but if the Newbs want to dump on the experienced reefers for maybe giving then a different answer than the one that they want to hear....I guess the experienced guys will just stop answering and say "use the search" like people would be told on other sites...but that patience and civility is what makes TFT different...

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Eric was just referring to the question being answered many times in this thread...but if the Newbs want to dump on the experienced reefers for maybe giving then a different answer than the one that they want to hear....I guess the experienced guys will just stop answering and say "use the search" like people would be told on other sites...but that patience and civility is what makes TFT different...
Bingo!

Sony Xperia Z3