Jebao WP-25 Review

TorontoBound

I would like to start off that I'm not a fan of Made In China "Knock Off Products" even though everything around us is Made in China.

In the past I have seen and tried a Jebao Canister Filter that was a knock off of Eheim and that was the first and last time that I used a Made in China Product for my aquarium.

This has caused my hobby to sky rocket in cost but that extra cost gave me piece of mind as I have equipment that is still functioning after 10 years of service and still going on strong.

I would also like to say that I'm a Huuuuuuuge EcoTech Marine Fan!

I love their lights and pumps better then any other equipment or brand available.

Recently I required a new MP10wes for my 29 gallon reef. Unfortunately due to my financial situation I was not able to get one as of yet.

I have heard a lot of the Jebao WP Pumps which are supposed to be a Tunze/Ecotech Killer pump cost wise.

I have read many warnings and do realize that this product does not have UL or CSA listing/approval. This was a concern and many Made In China products are known to cause stray voltage.

After posting this many members here stated that it does not produce stray voltage.

So I decided to try out the WP-25 pump and I have to say this pump is AWESOME! It is a little too powerful for my 29 gallon but I have to admit it is a beast and for the price I am a Jebaoliever. The unit is dead silent comparing to Koralia that I have had in the past and my older mp40wes.

Just want everyone to know my experience and my approval of this pump.

cptstnkpnts

I also have one and it's been 1 month. It's great in my 90 and I'm thinking of picking up a second one. Now if only someone in London would start to carry them.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I was under the impression that the jebao pumps were approved for use in ontario/canada....  So they are not?!? If they truly are not approved then why are some vendors selling them here within canada??

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Hero link said:
I was under the impression that the jebao pumps were approved for use in ontario/canada....  So they are not?!? If they truly are not approved then why are some vendors selling them here within canada??

It's a touchy subject lol

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Yes touchy meaning competing companies say their not approved vs the truth lol

If their illegal to sell/ import we would see their numbers decline/ popularity wear off. And people wouldn't use them/ trust them.

It is what it is. Lol

TorontoBound

From what I understand the power supply is UL listed but not the pump and because there is an electrical cord from the power supply to the pump Canada requires CSA on the whole pump, which is does not have.

Selling isn't illegal up until something happens and their is a recall from my understanding but maybe some one can chime in regarding legality.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I am pretty sure it is illegal to import anything for commercial use or sale if it requires approval and does not have it.... Are you sure the pump requires approval as well? I thought only power supply needed it.... I'm not really sure though but I know ESA would soon find out....

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
TorontoBound link said:
From what I understand the power supply is UL listed but not the pump and because there is an electrical cord from the power supply to the pump Canada requires CSA on the whole pump, which is does not have.

Selling isn't illegal up until something happens and their is a recall from my understanding but maybe some one can chime in regarding legality.

no one is selling them because most vendors are either a distributor for tunze or ecotech, or they are a reseller for a wholesaler that is a distributor for tunze or ecotech. Both companies sent cease and desist letters threatening their distributors stating "patent infringements" and if they import and sell Jabeo products they wont be selling ecotech and tunze products. This is called patent trolling, They threaten people who can not afford a legal fight in a desperate attempt to "hold" onto their monopoly of the aquarium water movement market, and in this case it is their distribution network. If they had a legal leg to stand on they would be suing Jebao and not trying to intimidate their distributors. To date.. its been over a year and theres not one formal patent complaint from any company against jabeo.. so take it for what its worth, but 99.9% of the bad rep these pumps get is fabricated nonsense.

some quotes from the other threads here on the forum

The pumps and controller do not need to be CSA approved as they run at less the 100v per OESC Rule 2-022(3) (c) specifies some exceptions (being: Class I hazardous locations are those in which vapours or gases may be present and Class II hazardous locations are those in which dust may be suspended in the air to the extent that explosive concentrations may be present) to electrical product approval requirements. Electrical equipment does not require approval if it connected to the load side of an approved Class 2 power supply whose power output does not exceed 100 V, (thanks to a fellow TFT member who posted info on another forum), either way, the pumps are CE approved.

[quote author=cptstnkpnts link=topic=6183.msg80317#msg80317 date=1391822243]
As an insurance Adjuster I can say without a doubt coverage would not be affected. Period. Fire flood it would not matter if the pump failed and caused a loss there would be coverage regardless of the UL or CA approval of the product.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
They are 100% approved. I have posted in another thread, as noted above, all the links to the UL sites etc that have the patents on the equipment. These are 100% as safe as any other product on the market that you purchase. I wish people would stop posting that they are not safety certified. It was just a scare tactic used to deter potential buyers.

Either way, they do kick ASS!!! I love mine and would never switch to a brand that costs 10x as much lol. Glad to see you like them now. I know you were hesitant from purchasing as I read on other threads.

TorontoBound

I was hesitant before as I contact Jebao directly and they stated the only part that is UL listed is the power supply and not the pump itself. Many of my friends told me because the pump is in the water and is connected to the power supply it to needs safety or ul listing... but I took the plunge and the pump is kick ass.

I thought a wp-25 would just meet my requirements for my 29 gallon but it is too powerful lol...

I should have gotten the wp10 but this pump is dead silent and really is cool. I love their mount style as it ensures it stays in one spot but even more is the bracket that holds the pump that really allows the pump true versatility to be pointed literally in any direction!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
EricTMah link said:
I've been looking for these to replace my two koralia power heads.

Where did you guys get yours?

Got my wp-25's from kraken as well. Fishe-street is a very popular place where most get theirs from. I got my wp-40's on trade/buys through members here.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk