Josh's Bc29

Josh

Interesting. .. hey @AdInfinitum you interested in mentoring me on my new build? I can get you a gift card for 1 of our local places as thanks if you are interested.
I plan to do all the work myself. The more I read the more I get overwhelmed with small decisions.

Josh

Should probably clear up what I mean. I am looking for someone to bounce ideas off and hopefully save me some issues. My last build I did entirely solo based on tid bits of 8 year old posts online and made a bunch of equipment planning mistakes.

Won't hold anyone responsible for any advice given to me. It's upto me to decide in the end. I'm mostly just looking for "hey don't pipe like that or use that equipment" type advice.

shamous113

I think bouncing the ideas off of every one here may be the best thing, start a new thread and show the equipment that you have and as much info about the direction that you would like to see the build go. ie basement sump, separate fish room....

Josh

Honestly I've had a few posts and I didn't get much of a response. Figured people were hesitant to speak up due to conflict. However I may type something up tonight and see how it goes. Plus I'm pretty self conscious about being that new annoying member that bothers everyone without doing there own research.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Interesting. .. hey @AdInfinitum you interested in mentoring me on my new build? I can get you a gift card for 1 of our local places as thanks if you are interested.
I plan to do all the work myself. The more I read the more I get overwhelmed with small decisions.
Honestly I don't really think I am the right person to mentor anyone...
I tend to build large systems that can thrive despite serious neglect and smaller systems that I can use to test ideas and push things to their extremes.

However I am always happy to share what the years have taught me as are a number of great experienced reefers on this site.

To anyone who is interested in some thoughtful advice especially if you wish to venture into serious SPS keeping I would suggest that it is well worth you time to read all of the threads by @Darryl_V that are still on the sites database starting here http://www.thefragtank.ca/community/threads/darryl_vs-200g-sps-reef.6385/

Josh

Yeah no problem, i meant just getting some help with equipment selection and how to pipe to a basement sump etc etc. Im going to take shamous' advice and just make a detailed post.

Josh

Well i bit the bullet finally. Ordered a bashea mano off SMC. Was really impressed at fragfest with their sumps. Ordered an eshopps eclipse S overflow. Will be my first time drilling glass but bring it on! With me picking up that 120 soon for my new build i can house my biocube occupants while i drill and pipe the new biocube.

https://sustainablemarinecanada.ca/collections/sumps/products/bashsea-signature-series-mano-sump

The eclipse S is rated at 600 gph, what type of flow should i be aiming for on my return pump. i will have a valve on the down pipe so i can make some adjustments.

Mag3?

Last edited:

Josh

So today i drilled the biocube. It went ok...... I drilled super slow taped down the template and did everything i was supposed to. As the hole was finishing it chipped the inside a tiny bit. I also had a tiny little hairline crack. Was pretty heart breaking seeing this outcome. I was putting on the eshopps eclipse nano so i decided to roll with the punches. I layered both sides with silicone and the way the overflow is designed it clamps to both sides of the glass so im reasonably confident that it should hold. The hairline crack is right in the middle of both sides flanging it in the middle between 2 layers of silicon on both sides. I sealed the edges of both sides of the overflow as well just to be safe. I am not worried at all about it leaking that part is bulletproof. My worries are that the hairline crack might travel. I gave it a light tug to see how the overflow handled a bit of pressure and it felt VERY sturdy. Those double sides of silicone seem to have been the bracing it needed.

Ian has told me i should be seeing my bashea sump fairly shortly. I am hoping by next weekend i can be piping and filling the tank. I am toying with the idea of scrubbing my liverock a day or two before putting it in the BC/bashea sump and letting my 115gallon handle the die-off

Anybody care to chime in on pump sizing for this endeavor, pump head will be about 3-4ft (fairly standard height)

Josh

20170716_102908.jpg
20170716_102919.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Wow, Escopps Eclipse Series is a great overflow. I mean look how thin that imprint is in the tank. If you can fit/install this in a biocube with that much room left, can you imagine in a full tank? It probably would not even cast a shadow. I love these. I wish they were out when I did my 120 so I did not have to make my own.

Josh

Yeah honestly it's a really sleek design. I had to cut the chamber 1 wall down to get the water height correct.