Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
http://www.bigalscanada.com/Features/VIPProgram/viphome.html

Just a reminder to all VIP members. 
offer2.jpg

This in includes all mail order places in Canada like Incredible Aquarium and the others out there.

P

phi delt reefer

are there any exceptions to thos rule? (Ie. Whats the fine print) just so no one has any unreasonable expectations.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Its not usually valid with livestock as we all order from different places.  However I will do my best to try and match prices anywhere if I can.  We are looking at a dealer that will help us be able to get some of the higher end products. Those products will most likely be special order.  It also usually doesn't cover sale items from another dealer but again we will try our best to beat the price.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
It says retail store....so we have to bring in a flyer ?..or how will yu go about matching these?...can we bring online warehouses.  Like IA or J and L and print them off ?

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
You can... I also have the internet and can search for the online stores like IA and what not.  If I need to I will call the store and ask for the price.

Quartapound

I called in a few months ago (not very pleased)  because I was constantly getting them (Big Als)  to price match items for me.

They weren't beating anything by 5 percent. The purchases included some fairly big ticket items (5% would have amounted to a reasonable amount).

After learning about the policy (that they should have been beating the price, not matching it) I phoned in,  and asked why they were matching prices if their policy states that they beat them.

...I was informed that the policy was intended for retail stores only, and that it didn't apply to canadian internet businesses (like IA).... But that they price matched it for me anyway.

...Seemed like a bit of a stretch to me...

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Quartapound link said:
I called in a few months ago (not very pleased)  because I was constantly getting them (Big Als)  to price match items for me.

They weren't beating anything by 5 percent. The purchases included some fairly big ticket items (5% would have amounted to a reasonable amount).

After learning about the policy (that they should have been beating the price, not matching it) I phoned in,  and asked why they were matching prices if their policy states that they beat them.

...I was informed that the policy was intended for retail stores only, and that it didn't apply to canadian internet businesses (like IA).... But that they price matched it for me anyway.

...Seemed like a bit of a stretch to me...

I apologize for the bad experience. That is the way we used to do it. After talking to the owner about things like that over the last couple of days we have decided to include Canadian internet sites as well.  About the 5%.  Well it actually used to be that we would beat the difference by 5% so if one place had something for 39.99 and ours was 41.99 we would take 5% off of the two dollar difference which is a whole 10 cents so your product would of been 39.89.  The london store generally just macthed it as the majority of the population was fine with that. Recently Big Al's changed it to say we beat the price by 5%.  I am not sure how recent that is as I never saw an email on that. Just one day it was changed.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So this will apply to livestock too?

For example, you will beat Sea-U-Marine's Friday-Sunday walk-in specials by 5%?

If this is the case, get ready for an increase in traffic through your store. Hopefully your marine tanks will be stocked!

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Big_Als_London link said:
Its not usually valid with livestock as we all order from different places.  However I will do my best to try and match prices anywhere if I can.  We are looking at a dealer that will help us be able to get some of the higher end products. Those products will most likely be special order.  It also usually doesn't cover sale items from another dealer but again we will try our best to beat the price.
see above quote
!

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
teebone110 link said:
.. so that's the fine print ;)
Theres always a fine print.
Look I can't stop you from driving to Markham and spending 30 bucks on gas to save that 10 dollars on a fish or drygood item.  Now I think when I joined this forum last year the forum was here to help support the trade in Southwestern ontario.  Now what you will see as I have is stores closing down in this area. Sometimes its bad management or husbandry and shitty livestock. Sometimes its because a store gets a bad rep and can never recover from it. I know in the industry Big Al's doesn't have the best rep when it comes to reefers. I want to try and change this but it is hard.  Without the support of our local cities this will continue to happen.  Lucky for us we don't just carry saltwater or we would of joined places like Box of water, reef perfection and the many other stores that have failed over the years.

I will leave you with this..

It never hurts to ask.  If I can get it for you I will try it might take me a little while but I will try.

Sorry for the rant sometimes I care too much about my store.

Z

Zakk

Hey, we rant, why can't you?  ;D

Perspective.

From MY perspective, I have spent more that TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS (+) at the old location of Big Al's.  so to me, I've spent 10 grand that came from money I've earned, so while all the stuff I bought may actually be used up, dead, or gone, it has a value to me.  I have to run a tally in my head.  Now from your perspective, the ten grand is long gone, spent and over with, so it's of no value to you, you need more money to keep the roof over the head and all those lights and pumps running.  So perspective is way way different.  You know what I mean?  I'm into the hobby over 15 grand, and still have just an 'okay' setup.  If I knew then what I know now.... but c'est la vie.  So at this point, I still have that "holy shit, I blew 15 grand and I didn't get one hooker or any cocaine out of it!!", so I look to save what money I can.  So don't take anything personal that you read on here, it's all perspective.  Try not to get frustrated, but that's bound to happen on both sides.  ;D

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Zakk link said:
Hey, we rant, why can't you?  ;D

Perspective.

From MY perspective, I have spent more that TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS (+) at the old location of Big Al's.  so to me, I've spent 10 grand that came from money I've earned, so while all the stuff I bought may actually be used up, dead, or gone, it has a value to me.  I have to run a tally in my head.  Now from your perspective, the ten grand is long gone, spent and over with, so it's of no value to you, you need more money to keep the roof over the head and all those lights and pumps running.  So perspective is way way different.  You know what I mean?  I'm into the hobby over 15 grand, and still have just an 'okay' setup.  If I knew then what I know now.... but c'est la vie.  So at this point, I still have that \"holy shit, I blew 15 grand and I didn't get one hooker or any cocaine out of it!!\", so I look to save what money I can.  So don't take anything personal that you read on here, it's all perspective.  Try not to get frustrated, but that's bound to happen on both sides.  ;D
Believe me I know what people spend.  I see the VIP points racked up.  Maybe I am greedy and want everyone to shop here. Basically I want to please everyone. Its one of my bad traits. I know I can't please everyone but I still try.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Never hurts to rant and be up front with your customers. It's all about being focused on your customers needs. We are all about supporting our local suppliers, provided they have what we want at the prices we are willing to pay for it.

C

copperkills

+1 Zakk...and I dont have anything against Big Als..I actually think the Oakville store is fantastic lol  ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.