Kman Reef Progression Build.

Kman

Super Active Member
Now that my current reef has been set up for a little over two years I decided to do a tank build to show the growth and progress as the tank matures and starts to take it's mature shape. For those of you that don't know me I am a veteran reefer that has been in this hobby for a long time. I have had two reef tanks that hit the ten year mark being set up and I am going for a third. I am even still using the same 180 after all this time. I have learned a lot over the decades and will explain my way of doing things in my build.

I started out as a child in fresh water as my dad breed angle fish and grammys for years. But one I turned ten I got my first saltwater tank set up with some fish and soft corals and was instantly hooked. I am one of those lifetime reefers. Once I got in I never got out not even for a short amount of time. I have been continually learning, experimenting and developing my craft ever since. I strive to continually learn and improve my skills as this makes you a better reefer. Even now I like to talk to people and I listen even if they have not been in it as long as I have because you never know what you will learn. As everyone takes a different approach and have had different experience then I have. If you stop listening and trying to learn you might as well stop the hobby now as you will stagnate and never progress.

As I go along I intend to explain how I approach laying down my rockwork when I am setting up my tanks. A properly set up foundation is very important for long term success and means the difference between a thriving reef or plagued with nutrient issues. You need proper water flow that can blow through the rocks cutting down on dead zones and should never just pile them on top each other. As this will look like a pile of rocks and create dead zones for stuff to build up in. I use PVC pipes that I cut into Smaller sections and hide behind the rockwork. So any fish can get from one side of my tank to the other behind the rocks. I like to create caves that have lots of nooks and crannies for things to hide in. The structure has to be solid and not shift on the substrate so I put what I call foundation stones down first resting them on the bottom glass and then lay some substrate down around them. This cuts down on your rocks from settling after you place other stuff on top. It also cuts down on the ability of things like fish digging under your support rocks and causing a cave in crushing everything.

This is the new tank at one week. My basic rock design came together quite well.

IMG_00000934.jpg

Kman

Super Active Member
I sort my rocks into rock classes and by grade before I start placing rocks. No point using a prime reef rock under all the other rocks so you can't see it. I like them all in the open on a flat surface so I can see them all and judge what rock works best for each placement. If you have them in buckets you can't see everything and you don't maximize each rock placement and will end up going back and having to move rocks so they fit and look right.

IMG_00000909.jpg

Kman

Super Active Member
Weird all of a sudden I have a new tank build. haha :p

You have no idea how much livestock you really have after all that time till you sort it and move it. That took us 8 hrs the first day and we didn't even place many corals in the DT or finish the rock work. Talk about time consuming task.

Kman

Super Active Member
I am sure there will be but not to much. lol

Right now I am gathering my pictures and sorting as I have a stupid amount and need to make sure they are in order.

Kman

Super Active Member
Thanks. I just wanted to do something different then the standard reef build.

Kman

Super Active Member
This picture is at the one year mark. As you can see the leather is getting out of hand, as well as my torch and frog spawn. At this point the frog and torch are over 60 heads each. Hard to tell from the angle but from looking down they are as wide as they are long.

IMG_20150213_161708.jpg

Kman

Super Active Member
At this point I have switched LED from the Maxspect to the AI Hydra 52. Man do I love these lights. They grow and color corals at a crazy rate.

Kman

Super Active Member
I got them dialed in perfectly for color and growth. I can PM you my setting if you want to take a look at them.

Kman

Super Active Member
When I originally designed my build I designed the rockwork to accommodate future growth of my leather. I love a mixed reef tank with LPS, SPS and soft coral as I love the added movement and variety of shapes and colors, I looked forward to designed something that could accommodate them all into my tank. Since the leather was a slow grower under MH for 10 years I didn't expect to run into problems any time soon. I could not have been further from the truth once I switched to LED. The first picture is after one week in the new tank.

IMG_00000940.jpg

Kman

Super Active Member
This one around the one year mark or a little over. Keep in mind this is a 180 and to give reference the top most part of the leather is only 4 inches from the top of the waterline. Soon I will have to deal with fast growing monster.

DSC_0206.jpg