Live Sand And Water In New Tank

Canadianeh

In which order I need to set up the live sand, dry marco rock, and RODI salt water without killing the live sand?

Can lay down the live sand first, then mix the RODI heated water to the recommended temperature (75 F is it?) with salt mix, lay down the rock ( do I need to wash the rock first with regular tap water), and then pour in the saltwater mix into the tank slowly?

Do I need Dr Tims live bacteria into the tank after the water, rock, and sand in it?

Any other additives that I need to add other than Dr Tims?

Canadianeh

Mix the saltwater to 79. And a sg of 1.025. You should cure dry rock in a brute bin for about 6 weeks before adding it to your tank to make sure it doesnt leach.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You mean mix the salt with RODI water at 79 Celsius? Sorry what is "sg of 1.025"? I am trying to keep up with the jargon here :)

I live in a condo so brute bin is out of the question now. Can I just use regular 5 gallons buckets? How do I cure dry rock? Just soak them in tap water, OR should I use RODI water?

Canadianeh

I read that Marco Dry Largo rock is one of the cleanest and best base rocks available. Some people clean the rock by putting them into vinegar water for few days, tap water for few days, and RODI water for few days. Some of them go extreme by putting them in muriatic acid or pure ammonia for few days.

I am a bit of overwhelmed that people do to prep their dry rocks. Not to mention after that they cycle/cure their dry rock for several weeks in a big garbage can, before putting them into tank for another cycle.

Some people suggest that you don't need to do this with Marco Largo dry rock.

I live in a condo and I don't have a place to soak 50 lbs of rocks in a big garbage bin for several weeks and then curing them for another several weeks.

I am starting to think whether I can pull this off or not? :(

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I read that Marco Dry Largo rock is one of the cleanest and best base rocks available. Some people clean the rock by putting them into vinegar water for few days, tap water for few days, and RODI water for few days. Some of them go extreme by putting them in muriatic acid or pure ammonia for few days.

I am a bit of overwhelmed that people do to prep their dry rocks. Not to mention after that they cycle/cure their dry rock for several weeks in a big garbage can, before putting them into tank for another cycle.

Some people suggest that you don't need to do this with Marco Largo dry rock.

I live in a condo and I don't have a place to soak 50 lbs of rocks in a big garbage bin for several weeks and then curing them for another several weeks.

I am starting to think whether I can pull this off or not? :(
Don't let your self get freaked out... the staff at big als told me to let my rock cycle right in my tank from there store... I did it for 6 weeks... it did it's thing... everything was fine... I wouldn't worry about doing seperate. .. did you get your live rock from a store or someone's established tank?

Canadianeh

Don't let your self get freaked out... the staff at big als told me to let my rock cycle right in my tank from there store... I did it for 6 weeks... it did it's thing... everything was fine... I wouldn't worry about doing seperate. .. did you get your live rock from a store or someone's established tank?

I bought it from Reefsupplies.ca http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Marco-Rock-Premium-Key-Largo-Dry.html

It is Marco Premium key Largo dry rock. I don't think it is a live rock.

It says on Marco rock website "our Key Largo rock 100% free of organics or "pre cured" this makes it safe to tank in an established system without fear of an ammonia spike." http://www.marcorocks.com/faq/

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
If its "pre cured" then you can add it straight to the tank if you trust the company. Dont get freaked out...its just a lot of into when you get started.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I'D put straight in and still do a cycle.

S

sirhc13

You definitely shouldn't soak your dry rock in tap water....the rock is very porous and acts like a sponge so you would be contaminating your rock before you even start!
Build your aquascape, have as much as possible or enough to fill your tank of rodi water mixed to a sg of 1.025 and 79°F, add your live sand and slowly add the saltwater to the tank as to not disturb the sand as much as possible. You can use Dr Tims or Colony if youd like, or you could purchase a clean piece of live rock to seed your dry rock. You need to add an ammonia source of some type to the tank to get your cycle started and then test, test , test until you are sure the cycle is complete. Being impatient in this hobby WILL cost you A LOT of money! :) Good luck with the setup!

heath

Distinguished Member
You definitely shouldn't soak your dry rock in tap water....the rock is very porous and acts like a sponge so you would be contaminating your rock before you even start!
Build your aquascape, have as much as possible or enough to fill your tank of rodi water mixed to a sg of 1.025 and 79°F, add your live sand and slowly add the saltwater to the tank as to not disturb the sand as much as possible. You can use Dr Tims or Colony if youd like, or you could purchase a clean piece of live rock to seed your dry rock. You need to add an ammonia source of some type to the tank to get your cycle started and then test, test , test until you are sure the cycle is complete. Being impatient in this hobby WILL cost you A LOT of money! :) Good luck with the setup!

I think any organic based food will start the cycle, I have always used a small amount of flaked food, does the trick for me...
and yes, NEVER, NEVER put your rock in tap water, you will end up with PO4 and that's not fun to deal with down the road.. been there and done that one...

Canadianeh

does it not cause the water to be oily though? Do you then remove the rest of the shrimp after the a while?

Canadianeh

do you rinse live sand in saltwater or tap water to remove silt? I plan to use Caribsea Arag Alive Special grade one.