Live Sand And Water In New Tank

heath

Distinguished Member
try and find a piece of live rock from an established tank too. that will do more than any chemical that you could add.. if you were closer I could give you a piece from one of my sumps... and when you get your rock, DO NOT toss the small rubble pieces, they will be very valuable to you down the road...

Canadianeh

try and find a piece of live rock from an established tank too. that will do more than any chemical that you could add.. if you were closer I could give you a piece from one of my sumps... and when you get your rock, DO NOT toss the small rubble pieces, they will be very valuable to you down the road...

Useful? For what? If you did not mention this, my natural reaction will be to dispose the crumbs and small rubbles.

heath

Distinguished Member
another thing, you will hear ppl talk about pest free, really not sure what that means.. but, there are some pest that are good for the tank...once you get going you are more liable to bring in unwanted things just from others frags...

heath

Distinguished Member
Useful? For what? If you did not mention this, my natural reaction will be to dispose the crumbs and small rubbles.

NO NO... they are great for gluing frags to for placement... I hate the plugs that they come in on...are you going to be running a sump on the tank...if so just toss them in there...we all have rubble in our sumps...

Canadianeh

Do not rinse live sand, as you'll wash away all the bacteria. Anything going into the tank that needs to be rinse should be done with saltwater.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

It make sense. Brandon429 from nano-reef forum who happens to be very experienced aquarist believe it is okay and will not make it not alive. I prefer to wash it with saltwater though.

Canadianeh

NO NO... they are great for gluing frags to for placement... I hate the plugs that they come in on...are you going to be running a sump on the tank...if so just toss them in there...we all have rubble in our sumps...
no no sump. This is Fusion 40 AIO. I don't want no sump. I live in a condo no place for an extra tank.

Joshbrookkate

I put rubble in small zippered mesh bags that you get at Dollarama in the laundry section. I put it in my sump. If you don't have a sump, put it in the behind live rock It adds live rock filtration to the system. And it's a great place for copepods and amphipods to breed (that's good). It also comes in handy for attaching frags.
The mesh bag makes it easy to rinse with salt water when I clean detritus from my sump, about every 3 months or so.
Good luck. Take your time. Ask lots of questions. Have fun!

Canadianeh

I put rubble in small zippered mesh bags that you get at Dollarama in the laundry section. I put it in my sump. If you don't have a sump, put it in the behind live rock It adds live rock filtration to the system. And it's a great place for copepods and amphipods to breed (that's good). It also comes in handy for attaching frags.
The mesh bag makes it easy to rinse with salt water when I clean detritus from my sump, about every 3 months or so.
Good luck. Take your time. Ask lots of questions. Have fun!

thanks! I will do that!

Canadianeh

if your pieces are small enough they should just decompose and disappear...

If I use Dr tims, I need to get the One and Only bacteria and ammonia (2 products).

If I use raw shrimp, do I still need one of the products above?

Canadianeh

If the raw shrimp decompose, it will produce ammonia so I don't need Dr Tims' ammonia product.

How about the bacteria? Where do they come from if I don't use Dr tims one and only live bacteria solution?