Macro Vs Bio Balls

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I asked you to post references here....... So yes I want you to post them here NOW. Just because one or two studies were done and came to a conclusion does not mean that their findings were correct.... And when your findings go against what is a fairly known standard in reef keeping or just water chemistry in general then you better have some good and solid evidence to back it up!
So yes pleas pose all your references. I will contact them myself if I have to in order to get to the bottom of this....
Nobody pissed in my cornflakes. I don't like cornflakes. But when people come onto this forum and make claims that go against standard water chemistry it is upsetting to me and I'm sure many others who have dedicated a lot of their life and time into this hobby and the research behind it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

List what i said was so wrong in your mind and i will address each one individually no problem at all and in some cases can even explain how i found it is amazing what you get for e-mail responses when you share a passion with people most either help or point in right direction i still dont get how you feel im misleading..... hmmmm

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
List what i said was so wrong in your mind and i will address each one individually no problem at all and in some cases can even explain how i found it is amazing what you get for e-mail responses when you share a passion with people most either help or point in right direction i still dont get how you feel im misleading..... hmmmm

I don't really agree with anything you have stated. In particular, running GAC in a reactor or in a mesh bag as an effective way to directly reduce nitrates.

Mr fox

I apologize for what could be considered thread crapping on your thread..... I just want you and others to get the facts straight. There is nothing worse than seeing people fail in this hobby because of being misinformed or for missing a lot of the key info.

I like to a lot of different opinions of what works for them not what all the lemmings say is "best"

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I like to a lot of different opinions of what works for them not what all the lemmings say is "best"

Different opinions are good for sure. But your best bet is to find reefers who have had great success keeping an established reef tank and listen to what they have to say.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I don't really agree with anything you have stated. In particular, running GAC in a reactor or in a mesh bag as an effective way to directly reduce nitrates.

It works great for emergencies i never said for long term you then need complicated machines for backwashing but if a spike is occuring for whatever reason and you need help gast this temporarily releives the increase in ammonia and nitrate till the smaller of the micro pores are full at which point it only traps organics. any water treatment plant can confirm this (infact any major water purification company should know if they are a water tech and not a bottle filler) at the point of saturation they begin the back washing process. And things like maize cobb activated carbon have even smaller pours and absorb even more by capacity than carbon we use in aquaria so sorry you mistook my wording and it is effective in the units in industry or why would our water treatment plants use them hmmmm guess 8 hrs talking to a board water tech while he watches me seal his holding tanks has no credit lmfao dont worry will send ya a couple links in the morn they are mostly saved on my clipboard for easy reference :)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
So are you saying that if I replace my GAC in my reactor, wait an hour for it to settle, and then test the input and output of my reactor, I am going to see fairly large differences in nitrate readings?

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Different opinions are good for sure. But your best bet is to find reefers who have had great success keeping an established reef tank and listen to what they have to say.

Thats why i get along with almost everyone i have great growth and colour and water management with minimal maintenance many members are impressed how long i stretch my wc with no negative effects and for long term only downside ive had in over 2 years was my damn seam blowing and lots of members have seen it and will vouch i do have a nice system even my crappy rescue reef impreses some people even tho i think it looks like crud at the moment so sorry your not more open to good conversation about reefing for someone that wants to broaden horizons for others and newcomers you sure are stuck to YOUR ways but good night

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
So are you saying that if I replace my GAC in my reactor, wait an hour for it to settle, and then test the input and output of my reactor, I am going to see fairly large differences in nitrate readings?
Water treatment plants as well as just ordinary reefers like you and me use them to produce 0tds water because they are effective in removing organics and metals in water which have become dissolved solids..... They are extremely poor in reducing the nitrate within the water column. The only way GAC is capable of helping control nitrates and po4 is by removing these dissolved solids within the water which would eventually in turn break down into such.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Thats why i get along with almost everyone i have great growth and colour and water management with minimal maintenance many members are impressed how long i stretch my wc with no negative effects and for long term only downside ive had in over 2 years was my damn seam blowing and lots of members have seen it and will vouch i do have a nice system even my crappy rescue reef impreses some people even tho i think it looks like crud at the moment so sorry your not more open to good conversation about reefing for someone that wants to broaden horizons for others and newcomers you sure are stuck to YOUR ways but good night

I am open to different opinions but not when there is no proof or evidence behind such.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
michael-jackson-watching-popcorn-movie-smile.gif

ya I also have had a lot of people of this site see my system up for 5 years and pristine not a drop of cyno. algae or any other crap.. reef hero is not open to ideas just condemning of decades proven practices how long have fuges been around.....and read what io pellets do.. they Feed bacteria... why would I feed bacteria when they are supposed to "feed" .. I feed my bacteria fish crap.. and you still have to skim heavy bio pellets history about 5 years vs refugiums decades .. hay hero go see Steve's system or come see mine proof is in the water... you reed articles awesome try Robert fenner (yes the king of marine aquariums and wet web media) and Anthony calfo"s book THE NATURAL MARINE AQUARIUM SERIES. both wrote hunderds of books and articles and dedicated to refugium aquaria... maybe your fug. didn't work because of a lack of maintenance and cuna's tank I see 2 fish and not to insult cuna's tank at all but with all due respect its not a reef tank its a frag tank and we all run frag tanks without much at all some even just hob aqua clears and no skimmers and they work...put 25 fish in there and feed 2 times a day and well see just how efficient that is for how long...please no offence to cuna at all nothing but respect here amazing looking corals there... hay mr fox just build yourself a balanced system do research and commit to what ever you go with is the bottom line

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
ya I also have had a lot of people of this site see my system up for 5 years and pristine not a drop of cyno. algae or any other crap.. reef hero is not open to ideas just condemning of decades proven practices how long have fuges been around.....and read what io pellets do.. they Feed bacteria... why would I feed bacteria when they are supposed to "feed" .. I feed my bacteria fish crap.. and you still have to skim heavy bio pellets history about 5 years vs refugiums decades .. hay hero go see Steve's system or come see mine proof is in the water... you reed articles awesome try Robert fenner (yes the king of marine aquariums and wet web media) and Anthony calfo"s book THE NATURAL MARINE AQUARIUM SERIES. both wrote hunderds of books and articles and dedicated to refugium aquaria... maybe your fug. didn't work because of a lack of maintenance and cuna's tank I see 2 fish and not to insult cuna's tank at all but with all due respect its not a reef tank its a frag tank and we all run frag tanks without much at all some even just hob aqua clears and no skimmers and they work...put 25 fish in there and feed 2 times a day and well see just how efficient that is for how long...please no offence to cuna at all nothing but respect here amazing looking corals there... hay mr fox just build yourself a balanced system do research and commit to what ever you go with is the bottom line

I'm not sure what you are trying to say or prove in this last post. Can you please explain? Are you trying to say that I don't believe a fuge will help absorb NO3? I also don't understand how you can call CUNAReefers tank, just simply a frag tank. He has grown out small frags into massive colonies. His tank is filled with corals.

saltyair

Wow I've missed a lot lol.
With all due respect learn how bio-pellets work.

steve- Farley also carbon doses ;) and you are correct on having to clean the refug on a regular basis or it will fail over time.

I also started my tank (75 gal) with tap water worked till spring and my tds went crazy (had a full refug)
It really does come down to what your long term goal is mr fox.

my system is turning 6 this year - I do 10 gal wc every 2 weeks I use an ato with kalk, aio bio pellets and gac.
my system is steady and healthy.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
To complicate things even more. I do water changes once every 2 months. I do not run carbon or gfo just a bio pellet reactor and a large ball of chaeto that is turning into more of an algae scrubber. I have 10-15 fish feed twice a day.

I have no cyano or algae upstairs. I guess this means that my method is correct and i should argue it's merits against all others.

Oh and I used tap water on my initial fill.

There are many ways to skin a cat, or run a reef. Do your research and make your own decisions. New tech or old tested methods, all have their merits and with the internet you should have no trouble researching everything:)

*mic drop*

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk