Moving Up To 220

Jason Bell

Finally the basement is finished, well at least until some other ideas come to mind, so that means it is time for me to upgrade from the current 120g to a 72*30*24 220g.

I run a steel shop, so the stand was easy enough. Made from 3*3*188 HSS so no problem with the weight of the tank. Stand is 72" long 30" wide and 32" high, perfect height for viewing from the new couch.
20201223_141605_HDR_compress41.jpg
20201224_083539_HDR_compress42.jpg

The tank came today

20201229_190806_compress49.jpg

Thursday I'll get it up on the stand and from there sort out plumbing etc. Bashsea sump from Sustainable Marine will be ordered tomorrow, going with the 48-18. I have a Nyos skimmer for this system, 4 MP40's, 5 AI Hydra 52HD units, full Apex system, leak detection, Trident, various solenoids for control, using Cor20 return pump, DOS for 2 part another one for auto water changes.

Still have to pickup a couple 75/100g water holding tanks, 1 for salt 1 for RO/DI. Few other things on my list.

Wish me luck

Jason Bell

20201229_190738_compress34.jpg

A reef savvy, as you can see in the back the floor where it is going. I should mention tank was purchased from a member here, Sidewaze, soon as I saw the post I was on it.

Jason Bell

Parts have started to arrive. Thanks to Ian I can get my Bashsea 48-18 sump on Tuesday along with 2 more MP40's, Cor20 and Trident. Will be a happy day.

Rock has arrived and plan to start the whole negative aquascape process this week.

I'm thinking of leaving the Nyos skimmer on the current tank and ordering a Bubble King, but I truely appreciate the amount of gunk that skimmer pulls.

That's it for an update, should be plenty in the coming weeks.

Soups

You should consider adding one or two supports in the center. You have all that weight only on the sides. Even with 3/4" plywood it can still make that open area sage.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I have a similar tank with 3/4" glass and the MP40 kept falling off when torqued up, I had to switch to MP60

Soups

Hi Jason I don't doubt it for a second. That Stand Is built solid, but I'm only taking about that big void in the center. Amazing work on the stand.

Jason Bell

I have a similar tank with 3/4" glass and the MP40 kept falling off when torqued up, I had to switch to MP60

Well that will give me a good excuse to get them and perhaps get another tank for these :). I had thought about it originally, have less in the tank, but was swayed after I read an article saying the older models had that issue and newer models had a different magnet. Soon find out, thank you for the heads up, will certainly be watching.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I see that your stand is 32" high + your tank is 24" high. Add an inch or two for some plywood and/or foam layering it should be about 58" to the top rim.

When I built my stand this measurement was important as I wanted to ensure that I could reach the inside bottom of the tank for maintenance, etc. It ended up being 60 inches and is at the absolute max where I can reach inside to the bottom. Of course I can't reach the far back, however I am glad that I did not make the height of my stand any taller, since my tank is 26" high. The extra height under the tank is always beneficial, provided it does not come at a cost of making the tank too tall.

It's crazy to see some tanks 30+" high, or very tall stands... This would be very tough to manage, requiring a stool and other tools to reach inside the tank.

Jason Bell

I'll be around the 58" mark given the tiled area for the tank is recessed 1", I made my current stand on the 120 too tall and I can barely reach the bottom. I built another for my buddy who picked up a 220, he wanted the stand 42" and the tank is 30" high, no idea how he will reach the bottom. I'm 6'3" he is 6'6" but that is not going to be easy even with tools.

Seasquirt

I know height is a concern, my stand sits at 36 then with plywood and foam its at 39 and the tank at 22 its pretty high.

I don't have access in the front or sides and reaching the bottom is going to be difficult but i do NOT plan on being in the tank very much if at all.

Access to the sump has been mire difficult with the board on it but i can access it through the front as well as the back.

220 eh, thats a biggie for sure and primo equipment, i too am looking forward ti your build.