My 220 + 120 Gallon System

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Green lea farm supply. They are norwesco water tanks. Came pre drilled with the bottom bulkheads which made things a snap to put together.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

theyangman

Distinguished Member
They were 120 or so I believe plus tax each? They are just outside london. I actually got lucky and the guy brought em to me (I lived pretty close to one of the guys who worked there) but give em a call. I bought the 65 gallon ones. I'm actually thinking of buying bigger ones now. I'd like to store more water.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I'm glad I stuck with it. The new house is kind of a fresh start. I didn't have many corals when I set everything back up again. (Jordans wall hammer and a few mini colonies of zoas) I have added a few more zoas and a few other things. But I also had a chance to rid myself of some yucky fish. (No more damsels!!!)

Everything is plugging along and I have seen some positive things. My zoas are multiplying, and the wall hammer is coming back around (it was receding in certain parts but it is slowly getting better)

I also now had a chance to move all the sump stuff to the basement in the new laundry room giving me SO much more space to work in and no longer having to crouch down below my tank to fiddle with things in a limited amount of space. I am using the 120 gallon tank as a sump now, which is a dearly needed upgrade from my old 40 gallon long, and there is so much more room for reactors and what not inside without having to trip over everything each time I went underneath the stand.

I cut two holes in the flooring and ran the pvc pipes about 30 feet across in the ceiling (It is unfinished so it was pretty simple) and then right into the sump. I TEE'd off the drain line before the drainage into the sump, right into the washer drain line so if I want to do a water change I have evolved the system even further into now simply flipping a single gate valve to drain off however much I want gone and then flipping a switch to activate the pump from my salt holding tank to dump in fresh salt water. Jesus it doesn't get any easier than this. (I don't think) but who knows I am pretty lazy and can come up with ways to make my life easier all the time.

The drain lines do gurgle a lot though. I think the 30 foot span going horizontal in my ceiling isn't the best, but I bought some roxul sound deadening material and I hope that cures that issue. If I am in the office (which is right above my sump) I can hear gurgling constantly....

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Glad you're happy you stuck with it. Always nice to have a fresh start. Especially having a fish room now.

As for the gurgling. Have you tried to insert air line into the drain lines?

That's how I silenced my HOB overflow. It makes a big difference. But does take some time to fine tune it. But once you set it, you forget it. Or you could try and use gate valves on your drain lines to slow down the flow slightly to stop the gurgling

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

theyangman

Distinguished Member
The tank has two corner flows with durso stand pipes. I know my next aquarium will be bean drains, but this is how it was made.

They have airlines in them now but no real benefit. Still noisy as heck.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
With the distance your drain lines run. You might have to replace the air lines that are there now with much longer pieces. It's probably not going far enough the drain line to break the siphon of air.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I've often thought of maybe trying a p trap system to quiet it down? Similar to what's on a sink drain, don't know if it would help or not? I've got 1 1/2 drains that gurgle but I'm sure it's nt cause they full it's more like a splash gurgle flow sound.

Tony if your gonna go bigger sized. I'm starting to think about finding 50-60 gal sized tanks. Maybe we should talk about this next weekend or so.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
After speaking more in depth I am believing my drains are VERY undersized for the tank. I have 1" drains, and an upgrade to a 2" drain should help alleviate my issues. I will have to rip up the drains and start over again. Ugh. gross.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Your rains should be okay at that size

Can ou slow down the flow or reduce the amount of air getting into your drains?

You should have 100% full siphon through 1 drain and trickle through the other

Also ensure siphon drain is lower than the trickle drain

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
the old term comes to play " give the laziest guy the hardest job because he will find the fastest and easiest way to complete it " lol you were the one who inspired me to do something very similar just yours looks nicer lol thanks for the aawesome idea

theyangman

Distinguished Member
the old term comes to play " give the laziest guy the hardest job because he will find the fastest and easiest way to complete it " lol you were the one who inspired me to do something very similar just yours looks nicer lol thanks for the aawesome idea

That rings so true.... hey wait a second....

theyangman

Distinguished Member
d6a8146201b632d3aa8cff607327c1f0.jpg

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Lol, it's tiny for sure. I'd never made a frag "on purpose" before haha

PS have you seen how tight the branches are on a pocci colony? Holy smokes is it hard to get the clippers in there!