My 90 Gallon Pile of Rocks

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Re: My 90G Pile of Rocks

Replied to your message.  Shoot me a phone number so we can discuss details.  If it's a go I will need to order materials with our next order. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Frag tank is beginning to take shape after some expert consultation from jroovers ;)

Have moved over my controller, ATO, and have fine tuned my skimmer to help maintain consistent params.

Still mounting frags and colonies on to mini disc that I have cut out of travertine tile.

jroovers

Super Active Member

teebone110 link said:
Frag tank is beginning to take shape after some expert consultation from jroovers ;)

Looks good... but don't consider me an expert!  I don't want to be liable for any advice I gave you that may be less than desirable... that said I think you are headed in the right direction, frag tank looks great in person, the pic doesn't really do it justice.  :D

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Lol, you guys are far too kind ;D

Anyways, here are some ideas for a steel stand passed along by davesolo…

aa4c5efd-a5a0-428e-aeb1-c3a34d0da225_zps2b722180.jpg

zy7aqu9u_zps9d141519.jpg

I also like this one too (without the front vertical brace in the centre)…

Check out his full build thread over at reef2reef.. http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/large-aquariums-180g/125571-toxics-savvy-185g.html

185g_1_zpsfe010dc1.jpg

185g7_zps371359e5.jpg

null_zps4b9e4f73.jpg

with adjustable feet…

null_zpsb801b3bf.jpg

null_zps28cd4941.jpg

null_zpsacaf4c10.jpg

here is his compartment for his electrical..
DSC_0703_zps8f3c7819.jpg

100468d1382370549-toxics-savvy-185g-photo-5.jpg

null_zps71e53c8f.jpg

still need to get a final confirmation on the size of my new tank so that things are exact, before I make any moves  ;)

Jewel

Now that's what I mean, Tyler look at the access under the stand and the electrical cabinet. That's sweet.And your Frag tank looks great.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

I'll snap a pic of my powder coated steel frame.  Just plain old moisture from the sump has rusted it so bad I honestly wonder how long before it fails completely....

love that guy's rack-mount look electrical though :)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

The colours have been improving over the last few weeks.

A few corals bleached slightly as they are getting hammered with more par then previously in my display tank. I moved a few to give them some shelter from the light. I am baking the tank with full ATI power for 8 hours a day. Ca and Alk consumption has been very noticeable, as I am still trying to dial things in.  It is a good thing that my dosers are online now ;)

Unfortunately my clown fish decided to jump over the weekend, she was close to 10 years old.  :(

Now I have no fish inside this tank except for a few snails and hermits. I think that it needs at least a fish or two to maintain a minimal bioload.

Does anyone run a frag tank without fish?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

i always keep a damsel in my fuge with the liverock.
just feed him once and awhile and hes happy.

spyd

Super Active Member

I think you should add a baby Naso and a Wrasse. The Naso will take care of any algae and the wrasse will prevent any unwanted worms or anything of the sorts if they ever manage to sneak into your tank. The wrasse will obviously be a jump hazard though.

If you keep lots of LPS in your tank to grow out, no fish is awesome to allow them undisturbed feeding.

Jewel

I know it's nice to have a fish in there but you have mainly SPS, No skimmer, No fish, I'd put a few shrimp in there.

nexusnight

That first stand is exactly the same as how I built mine. Side note on the galv on the steel.... It still will rust eventually lol. Seen many snow plows and equipment that has rusted.

jroovers

Super Active Member

Looking good  :)

You still have that kole in your display right?  I'd get that or another small tang in there as Spyd said.  That is assuming you can catch the Kole.  If you are interested, I'll give you my cherub angel, it will keep things clean too and will feel like it still has lots of space.

nexusnight

Just a thought on finishing the steel stand... Look up a paint product called por15. I use this on steel at work on snow Plow mounts ect and it takes a hell of a beating. No rust through!!! They claim it's the best rust proof paint out there. It really does work awesome. Comes in a few colours and u can buy it from a supplier in lobo. I'd suggest the metal prep as well if u were to use the product. It puts a zinc coating on the steel and makes the paint bond better to it. Just an option

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Poseidon link said:
i always keep a damsel in my fuge with the liverock.
just feed him once and awhile and hes happy.

Good idea, just don't like how aggressive damsels can get if I add anything else later.

I do have a couple lemon chromis that are just like damsels that I could drop in, just hope they don't jump too. ::)
spyd link said:
I think you should add a baby Naso and a Wrasse. The Naso will take care of any algae and the wrasse will prevent any unwanted worms or anything of the sorts if they ever manage to sneak into your tank. The wrasse will obviously be a jump hazard though.

If you keep lots of LPS in your tank to grow out, no fish is awesome to allow them undisturbed feeding.

No LPS in the frag tank yet, but I will eventually have to move it over soon, I do like how easy it is to feed them in a frag tank, especially without worry about food competition. I agree that both a naso and wrasse would be the best choice.

Jewel link said:
I know it's nice to have a fish in there but you have mainly SPS, No skimmer, No fish, I'd put a few shrimp in there.

I am actually runnung a beast ok a skimmer, Skim sm201
http://www.skimz.sg/products/protein_skimmers/monzter_subpage/sm201.html
Skimz_Monzter_SM201_600x600-300x300.jpg

with this skimmer, a minimal bioload would be a good idea! It's starting to really pull out some good stuff right now.

nexusnight link said:
That first stand is exactly the same as how I built mine. Side note on the galv on the steel.... It still will rust eventually lol. Seen many snow plows and equipment that has rusted.

davesolo29 link said:
Lol.  Snow plows and equipment take a beating tho. 

nexusnight link said:
Just a thought on finishing the steel stand... Look up a paint product called por15. I use this on steel at work on snow Plow mounts ect and it takes a hell of a beating. No rust through!!! They claim it's the best rust proof paint out there. It really does work awesome. Comes in a few colours and u can buy it from a supplier in lobo. I'd suggest the metal prep as well if u were to use the product. It puts a zinc coating on the steel and makes the paint bond better to it. Just an option

I am leaning more toward a wooden stand, as I just don't want to worry about rust and corrosion and flakes falling into the sump below. I will look into that paint as I have never heard of it.

jroovers link said:
Looking good  :)

You still have that kole in your display right?  I'd get that or another small tang in there as Spyd said.  That is assuming you can catch the Kole.  If you are interested, I'll give you my cherub angel, it will keep things clean too and will feel like it still has lots of space.

I will need to move my Kole out of the DT soon, so thats another good suggestion. Bring that cherub angel over, I don't have a top screen, but don't think angels are known as jumpers!