My 90 Gallon Pile of Rocks

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Re: My 90G Pile of Rocks

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Poseidon link said:
When is your tank comming in/ what's your timeline look like??

It should be ready soon, no rush for me though. I have to figure out what to do for a stand.

I like there to be a wide open access area underneath the tank. Since the sump will be underneath, I want the least amount of obstruction so that I have full access to the area.

The wood stand was going to be based on this design, with some added vertical support along the back...

StandTemplate.jpg

I was going to build a wooded stand then have it professionally skinned to look something like this with access to the front and sides…

Another option would be to have a powder coated metal stand fabricated. Anyone know of some good local places I can call for quotes?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

personally I would do wood. Powder coating will still break down over time with saltwater.  Wood is good, just not pressure treated. 

curiousphil

Super Active Member

That formula above is what I used for my stand.  I didn't end up skinning it very nicely but it certainly does the job of holding the tank up :).  One thing I would recommend if you use that formula, is add some additional cross bracing on the backside to increase horizontal rigidity.  Two 2x4s with the ends cut at 45 degree angles to sit in the bottom corners between the orange/brown and pink boards.

If I push against the side of my tank, I can feel the stand shift ever so slightly... it's a little unsettling.  It's probably due to me not using a radial chop saw for my cuts, so my ends weren't a perfect 90 degree cut... but I would still add these cross braces in on my next build.

Build looks like it's shaping up nicely, it will be very exciting to see it come together!!

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor

teebone110 link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=628.msg78448#msg78448 date=1390840868]
personally I would do wood. Powder coating will still break down over time with saltwater.  Wood is good, just not pressure treated. 

Thanks, it is a lot less expensive too.
;D
[/quote]yu can get one made of square tube aluminum amd magnet the wood panels on  the alum it will be smaller  but still stronger. it will be one ine square tubing  that is what im doin for my new stand but its gonna be high rised..my tank is only 18 high so i may go eye level in the centre of tank and have more room in stand

Jewel

Wooden stands are bulky, I had a steel stand made and skinned it with wood held on by Velcro, When I want access to the sump, I take off the front, and have access to both sides, I mean who really sees your tank, You do 99 percent of the time, why not make it accessible

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Poseidon link said:
thats a sweet looking stand, prob not to cheap though

It's a Reef Savvy stand, so I know it would be pricey to get it from them.

curiousphil link said:
That formula above is what I used for my stand.  I didn't end up skinning it very nicely but it certainly does the job of holding the tank up :).  One thing I would recommend if you use that formula, is add some additional cross bracing on the backside to increase horizontal rigidity.  Two 2x4s with the ends cut at 45 degree angles to sit in the bottom corners between the orange/brown and pink boards.

If I push against the side of my tank, I can feel the stand shift ever so slightly... it's a little unsettling.  It's probably due to me not using a radial chop saw for my cuts, so my ends weren't a perfect 90 degree cut... but I would still add these cross braces in on my next build.

Build looks like it's shaping up nicely, it will be very exciting to see it come together!!

Yes, I would add some extra support along the back, the more the better.
Petercar link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=628.msg78449#msg78449 date=1390841050]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=628.msg78448#msg78448 date=1390840868]

Thanks, it is a lot less expensive too.
;D
[/quote]yu can get one made of square tube aluminum amd magnet the wood panels on  the alum it will be smaller  but still stronger. it will be one ine square tubing  that is what im doin for my new stand but its gonna be high rised..my tank is only 18 high so i may go eye level in the centre of tank and have more room in stand
[/quote]

Let me know where you are getting yours made? Maybe we can get a volume discount :)
Send me a PM about the price if you like.

Thanks

Jewel link said:
Wooden stands are bulky, I had a steel stand made and skinned it with wood held on by Velcro, When I want access to the sump, I take off the front, and have access to both sides, I mean who really sees your tank, You do 99 percent of the time, why not make it accessible

I agree that wooden stands can be bulky, lots to consider
Thanks for the feedback!

davesolo29

Super Active Member

I can make you a steel stand and send it out for galv.  Don't have anyone at our shop doing powder coating.  Will do it for cost plus a few choice frags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

davesolo29 link said:
I can make you a steel stand and send it out for galv.  Don't have anyone at our shop doing powder coating.  Will do it for cost plus a few choice frags.

I might be interest, send me a Pm with your cost

Thanks

davesolo29

Super Active Member

Send me the measurements you want.  Also HSS size.  I'm thinking 1" or 1.5" sq x either 1/8 or 3/16.  1/4 would be overkill. 

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor

teebone110 link said:
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=628.msg78602#msg78602 date=1390936960]
32 is what you want under the stand? Or total height of stand?

Just a rough estimate of 32" high, total height.

thanks again
[/quote]is yur floor level all over ?  yu can get bolts. with flat feet. that will trun so yu can have it level without using shims

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Petercar link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=628.msg78620#msg78620 date=1390941475]
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=628.msg78602#msg78602 date=1390936960]
32 is what you want under the stand? Or total height of stand?

Just a rough estimate of 32" high, total height.

thanks again
[/quote]is yur floor level all over ?  yu can get bolts. with flat feet. that will trun so yu can have it level without using shims
[/quote]

probably not, lol

I was thinking adjustable bolts/feet would make things a lot easier to level

Great suggestion!