My First Build ever...and need some direction

Jewel

I use 2 cups of salt per 5 GL of water, So I would of used 6 buckets of 5 gl each using 12 cups of salt, But it's difficult to get it to 1.025 the first time No worries though, Did you put a power head in the tank?

Marz

I have the Koralio 425 in the tank as well as my pump for the sump (the standard Nuvo one for the 30G). I think I am doing ok, and there's nothing in there except for rock and sand. No plans for fish or the like until it cycles. I won't be adding the "flakes" until I get the salinity and temp right.

Marz

Of course!  ...seeing the rocks and sand in the tank...driving me nuts that I won't be adding anything yet. I have  read some interesting things on adding coral before fish, that way the environment is stable. Alot of information that needs to be filtered ;) I think once "one" learns the basics, then it's all about what works for you - with of course others experience as input. The slow roll downhill into this addiction I think is happening, and I don't have anything live yet in there.

Jewel

Less fish is definitely better, even no fish, Nano tanks which are smaller than yours would have Shrimp or snails to keep the bioload to a minimum, but you'll find that a Reef system does better with fish. Your tank size would be fine with 2 Clowns and 2 Cardinals and Shrimp, Snails. No need to rush things before you know it, it'll be full and you'll be looking for a much bigger tank LOL