My First Build ever...and need some direction

Marz

Hello, I am about to venture into the world of SW, and am looking forward to it :) I have read a fair chunk, but would like to get some opinions since I of course believe that experience trumps all.

So, I will be picking up my tank on the weekend, and no it's not big, just a starter tank. It was of course the only tank that my wife liked, so I jumped on the chance. It is the Nuvo 30G tank - which is really 24g when you measure it out for actual usable space. I did get the stand as I won't have too much time over the next little while to build one. My plan is to cycle the tank (I believe I get this part but will be asking), get a couple of fish, then get the hang of water changes, testing, before I venture into ANY type of corals. The tank comes with a light and I will post more about it when I get it. I will assume that it will be anywhere between 6 months to a year before I get corals. I will be using RO water with calcium added.

Chapter 1 (lol)
Onto the really newbie stuff. Apologies now for all the questions, but patience and knowledge are common themes here ;)

1. The tank comes with standard sponge filters. Will I need to change or add anything to this?
2. Everyone discusses using live rocks in the filtration. I have to be honest, I don't how this is possible in the tank that I am getting. Any suggestions are appreciated.
3. What type of substrate (sand type, etc) should I get and based on the size of the tank -  should I stick to 1" in depth (I would love to have a clam at some point but that would be getting ahead of myself)?
4. Will I need any additional filtration such as a canister and/or under sand?
5. For water flow I have seen reports on the JABO as being a cheaper but as effective product, will I need one in my tank?
6. To cycle the tank will I need to use live rock, and if so, do I have to go by the 1 pound/gallon or can I just use 1 rock for now and add later as I do the aquascaping?
7. Test kits, I have read about the different types and there seems to be consensus on RedSea (I use API for freshwater) - any suggestions would be great.
8. Protein Skimmer - I get what they do, but was told that if I didn't have corals, I wouldn't need one. However, everything that I have read leads me to believe that this is one critical piece that is needed. If so, should I just get the Nuvo (read good things about it) since it would be made for the tank I have?

That's about it. I am sure I have missed a whack-load of things, but this should get me started. If I don't put water in this thing for awhile that is also fine.

(I just reread my post, sorry again for all the questions).

MrHermit85

Welcome to the saltwater world!!! It's a fascinating hobby to be in, that's for sure. I guess since no one has said it yet I will. Patience Patience Patience is key!!!

About the live rock, you can cycle a tank without it usig various methods but some say it's the best way. I used dry rock and phantom feeding with mine and the cycle took exactly 4 weeks.
Personally I am not a fan of filters like sponges, filter socks or anything of the sort as they just trap everything in them which intern can cause problems. (IMO).

Canister filters are not for saltwater tanks for the most part but protein skimmers are. It is possible to run a system without one and I know a few people with successful nanos without them but they are invaluable when it comes to saltwater filtration and if you can fit one in/on your system do it! I think you mentioned under gravel filters? These are not for saltwater at all...

Flow is a must for sure, I bet someone can chime in on the jabo range. I have personally only used sicce pumps though. They are super quiet...

Other things you may want to consider for filtration would be carbon and GFO for phosphates and water polishing. You can run these medias in a bag or for the best results in a media reactor. I run carbon 24/7 and GFO on and off when needed. Refugium a are also a great form of natural filtration where you can house more rock and different forms of algae.

That's all I have to say. Hope it helps! ;D
Enjoy your new tank and I look forward to following your build!

harleymike

Super Active Member
I ran  a tank with a canister filter and no protein skimmer for about a year. It worked. But you have too do very regular maint. Keep the canister clean. My corals did ok, they grew.
Then I upgraded too a new system with a sump and added things like protein skimmer and gfo reactor. The tank is 10x more healthy.
Start off with a sump and the proper equipment if you can. It saves a lot of work and money in the long run.
The other way will work though, just more labor intensive, and prone too tank upsets.
Also, try starting with fresh new rock and take your time. And anything, anything, and i mean anything,  you add from someone else tank you dip in something like revive or coral RX before putting it in your tank. This will  help keep any unwanted pests out of your new system.

Good luck.
hope this helps
Mike

Boga

You mentioned that you will be using RO water with calcium added. Is this going to be like a RO machine from the store? Is the calcium added by you or it comes like that? Mineralized? I would suggest RO/DI water if possible and you mix and add whatever you need.

Jewel

Welcome, Try not to get ahead of your self, nuvo tanks are nice and a 30 gallon is a nice start, Yes you gotta have the wifes ok to be successful in this hobby, LOL RO/DI water is a must. Water quality is the most important aspect of the hobby. Protien skimmers aren't a must but it's the easiest way to export fish waste.. Live Rock is very important. But before we over load you with info. Get the tank, set-it up and if you're not sure about cycling the tank then you need to read, read and more reading. And enjoy.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Marz link said:
2. Everyone discusses using live rocks in the filtration. I have to be honest, I don't how this is possible in the tank that I am getting. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Here's a good link for anyone wondering how liverock filtration works: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/feature/index.php

Welcome to the frag tank!  Good luck and have fun :)

Marz

Hey everybody.
Picked up tank, stand and light today and am really excited. Although everything is setup (stand built and tank ontop) I still have to level everything out...but...here's my plan. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. This may take awhile but I am ok with that. Items #1-#3 I will probably do within the next 3 weeks. My thought is to add a couple of fish once the tank has cycled, but that's way down the road.

1. buy a used 20g or 30g tank for my saltwater mixing (probably used). Get a power head and heater to ensure that it can sit as needed. One question, if I have a top on the tank can I keep it consistently full so that as I do water changes I can just pull from this tank?
2. pick up a 10g or 20g QT tank (used) for when I decide to get corals or even fish.
3. I need to get the salt mix
4. get water test kit
5. mix salt - I have a home RO unit so I will be using this water.
6. clean up new tank and test everything to make sure it works.
7. I have elected to go with DR as I am not overly concerned about how quickly my tank cycles. If it takes months so be it.
8. purchase substrate - seaflor
9. purchase protein skimmer.
10. maybe cycle tank??

I do have a question regarding heaters in a AIO tank. Can they be put in the back (sump) compartment so that they are not visible in the tank?

I hope I have this right. Have read a lot about tank cycling and types of DR and substrate to use.

KBennett

Your home RO unit probably doesn't have a Di (deionizing) chamber. This last step is very important.  Your TDS (total dissolved solids) needs to be zero.  The Di unit will get it there.  RODI is no good for drinking though...

benzzz

Just buy a canister and refillable DI chamber, buy some bulk DI (I use color changing stuff) then plumb it to the end of your DI unit.

Marz

This is gonna sound really stupid. Buy a canister and refillable DI chamber - do you have any examples, or just do a search on this forum and I can get an idea as to what this is?

benzzz

Like a Rainfresh whole house water filter. But you can buy refillable cartridges to put media in.

check www.bulkreefsupplies.com

and look in the bulk media section.

Jewel

You say you're gonna use DR? Is this Dr Tims Nutrifying Bacteria? If so, fine nothing wrong with it but you should still cycle your tank for a bit before adding fish. Also the idea of having a water station for mixing water and using it continuously. Yes that's a good idea. Only thing is you will want to make sure your SG is correct and Temp is good before pumping or moving water to your display.And also you should heat and mix the tank over night..Have you thought about upgrading your lights? Or not LOL

And yes. Put your heater out of site in a back compartment, So this system, Does it have a sump?

Marz

I haven't selected the additives to get the tank cycling, but I do know that it will take some time. To your point, I certainly won't be adding any fish for quite awhile. Even when the tank cycles, I want to get a handle on the water quality etc and make sure that it is stable before adding any fish.

The water station will be built over the next little while and based on everything that I have read, the water should match readings of my tank before I move the water. I have a heater and pump already for mixing - just going to look for a tank now. Then select salt and ensure I have a refractometer, thermometer and test kits.

In terms of my light, I currently have the Skkye 20W dual strip (18") and have been trying to find any information about this light that I can. I was told that this light would be fine for growing corals, but, but, I actually don't know for sure. I am currently still digging.

I have the Nuvo 30G that has the built-in sump. Will be doing a leak test later tonight as I have a couple of days at home. I am also figuring out the best way to setup the sump. I have the Protein skimmer coming and have been watching and reading about other peoples setups, but don't have a handle on that yet....so MUCH TO LEARN. The first advice that I have taken is to take this slow...and that's my plan. The tank will probably sit empty for awhile :( but I rather work through this and have a reasonably good first experience.

Oh and this stuff isn't cheap...so I have no choice but to build slowly. FORCED to take my time :)

Jewel

I'm not sure about the light. You say it has a built in sump? Is it divided into sections? Does it run along the back of the tank like a Bio-cube?

Jewel

So I checked out the Nuvo 30, Looks very nice, Those lights that you have will be ok, You'll just have to see what it's like for Coral Growth. These Cube style tanks can be very nice but they are limited. I say this because I've been successful with small Cubes like the 8 GL Oceanic Bio-Cube BUT. It's not easy.

1st of all, the more water volume in a tank, the more stable it is, 2nd you can't over load it, one or two small fish, Shrimp, Snails, You have to keep the Bio-load low because once these tanks get dirty, their hard to maintain. Once it's up, running and stable. I'd do weekly water changes of 5 GL, Every Week.

A 100 gallon tank is easier to look after than a 30, I'd run it with all the filters and sponges and see how it goes, sounds like a lot of maintenance though because sponges get full quikly . But if it works then fine. And if it doesn't then get rid of all that crap and use Live Rock, Cheato etc.

I know I'm probably confusing you. If you've got access to the back then tis is where you're Skimmer and heater go as well as sponges and filters.  Keep us updated and I hope I haven't confused you too much.

Marz

If I get confused by anything that is said, I read read and read some more. I also like to review videos of others setups that have used this cube. Thanks for looking it up btw. I have read that the filter sponges are a pain to maintain and expensive as they need to get replaced frequently. My thought is that a reactor, protein skimmer with potentially a refugium may be the way to go, but again, I have to read read and read more. Some have even used pellets etc. This portion will probably take me the longest to figure out and since these things are fairly costly, I will be building slowly.

I am not looking to overload the tank at all. A couple of fish, CUC and some "select" corals. I want to keep it elegant (odd word I know).

This is all about starting to understand SW and (a big AND) acclimating my better half to the idea. I have had larger FW tanks and am in complete agreement that the larger the more stable, etc, but WTH, gotta start somewhere and if it's family approved, then maybe the rest will enjoy the addiction, and I can get a bigger one.

Thanks for all the help, suggestions, and direction.