My First Build ever...and need some direction

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Damn, all these pics have my nano itch going. Wife is talking about how that was her favorite tank that I had as well. But I can not bare to go back to small tank fish again.

Great looking tank so far Marz.

Marz

You guys are great with all these ideas....BUT....I am stuck with what I can add as the whole thing started because my wife saw the clowns. Sooooo, I will start thinking about "stocking" ideas after I get this thing up and running. I don't think that I can add anything else though other than maybe 2-3 fish. The family also really likes the jawfish, but I don't have a deep enough sandbed (is my understanding) to have one, although that would be great.

So this is what everyone here was thinking

2x Clowns (not sure what kind yet, but certainly not the really expensive ones)
1x Bangai Cardinal

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Get 2 cardinals..... They like to be paired up just like the clowns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jewel

Lets not get ahead of your self, Fill it with water and get it going and periodically check it, make sure its working right, Turn the lights on low here and then. It'll take awhile but before you know it, you'll see things changing.

Marz

What type of food should I use to "ghost feed" my tank to get it started, or....should I use Dr. Tim's? - I don't want to start a debate, just asking what is the best way as I have read and read and read about this.

Jewel

Dr Tims is a notifying Bacteria, So it's not food persee. If you weren't going to use Dr Tims, then you would use Flake food or Pellets to get the cycle going. BUT You wanna use DR Tims and theres nothing wrong with that. I've used it but don't tell anyone LOL Get it circulating and put it in. They say you can put Fish in right away, But I'd let it circulate for a week or the weekend anyways and test your water for Amm. Nitrite, Nitrate. It may read 0 to all 3.  Then it's up to you. Id go ahead and get the Clowns.

Marz

Hmm...Will it "stunt" the cycle if I use Dr. Tim's? I have no problem with ghost feeding flakes and waiting. I have used tetra safe in FW as my daughter WANTED and NEEDED her Betta right away in the new tank (traded her a fluval edge for acrylic 3.5gallon for my ATO - she got the better deal).

Jewel

It's up to you, either way but not together, The thing with Tims is that you won't get any Amm, Nitite, Nitrate readings. So I find it to be a bit confusing, I did try it but I won't again. If  you don't then while circulating put a small pinch of Flake in every 3 days and then start testing after a week, 1st thing your testing for is Amm, when you achieve it, Then Nitrte, Then Nitrate. Then when it drops to Zero, Add Fish. I think you and the family will enjoy doing it this way, Good Luck.

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
IMO, the more patient you are with the cycle, the more stable the tank is in the long run.

Getting levels to 0 is one thing. Having the Eco system to keep it there after fluctuations (adding livestock) is a whole other thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marz

Agreed. Nitrogen cycle is the same in SW and FW. I will "ghost feed" and test. Can I use FW flakes as I have a whole bunch?
So to summarize:
Add water and salt, test salinity aiming for 1.025
Keep skimmer off and just run pumps and hydra with no mech filter
Feed tank
3days skimmer goes on
1 week start testing for ammonia - log, then test daily (still feeding until amm is being produced)
Add mech filter once nitrates are being produced and wait for amm and nitrites to hit 0.
Good to go at that point - then the real learning starts :)

Jewel

Ya probably not but You will be able to see what will be available when you're ready, You'll meet some cool people and not be tempted to buy. Hey you might win some door prizes.

Marz

Latest update. Water in tank...still have to adjust salinity as it's sitting at 1.021.

ATO, pumps, heater all running, with just filter floss for now. Have to play with the heater as it hasn't been heating correctly...needs to be calibrated. Once the salinity is where it needs to be, then I will ghost feed, put in skimmer, and see where it all goes.

Do I actually add the filter media after the tank goes through the cycle?

Here's the obligatory pic.

Marz

Actually what I have been doing is removing 10g from the tank into my brute bucket and adding salt (5 cups), mixing it up - I used RODI and marked off gallons on the bucket. I then add it back into the tank with the pumps running. For some reason, I measured 28 gallons of water for my tank with rock and sand, so added 14 cups of saltwater and still got 1.021. Temp is now 79.

Yes I know that once I get it all setup, I will have to mix in the brute keeping temp at 78, and test the salinity so that it matches my tank and let it run for 24 hours before adding it (for water changes).

I hope that made sense.