my first sump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
nice, it looks to be pulling gunk already, wait till it breaks in and its really going to do well it looks like. what lighting schedule are you running for your sump? 24/7 lights on?

R

reeffreak

runn your sump lights opposite as the DT , it will help keep ph in check... so as the DT lights go out then sump comes on . Or keep the sump light on for the last 4 hours the DT lights r on then shut down sump lights when DT comes back on , I think running the lights at the same time defeats the purpose

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
dale link said:
the sump lights r the same as the display 12 n 12

i run mine 24/7, hows the macro algae growing with only 12 hours of light?

R

reeffreak

there has to be a period with no light ... 24/7 is not ideal also ...photosynthesis has both light and dark stages . 16 on and 8 off is ideal , on reverse cycle then DT

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
reeffreak link said:
there has to be a period with no light ... 24/7 is not ideal also ...photosynthesis has both light and dark stages . 16 on and 8 off is ideal , on reverse cycle then DT

There doesnt have to be a period without light, i've been running like a year now with my sump lit 24/7, everythings fine here, great macro growth too. Im not saying its the best situation tho, thats more or less why i was asking dale as he has the same macro algae as me. i agree with you tho you want to keep the sump light during the display tanks night cycle because it helps keep the PH stable. Some macro algaes have a tendency to go sexual with only 12 hours of light.

R

reeffreak

Yes that one thing I didn't mention that the macro can go asexual and crap out with not enought light I agree , always Better to do reverse cycle but if u have great growth at 24/7 i guess there's no point to change it  and if he has te same stuff and it's used to 24/7 then that would be best it a tally might crap out on dale going from 24/7 to 12 and 12

dale

the algae is growing fine but i will reverse the cycle and add a few hours, i didnt know it made any diffrence aside from the growth rate of the algae...

R

reeffreak

ya it makes a difference with ph just reversing the cycle helps maintain staying at the same levels , thats what were aiming for anyways having the same levels consistently .

R

reeffreak

keep an update when you change , lets see if you do have a different growth on the macro and see what happens with ph , it would be interesting to see if theres any changes in the system with the switch , i know its not a huge change but to see if it even make a difference would be interesting .

dale

i wouldnt notice if the ph fluxuated less because i dont monitor it that closely but it makes sense that it should help stabilize it, the algae seems to be doing very well, im taking out a 6 in strand every day to feed a fish and i cant see it going down at all.

dale

6 days with the new skimmer and i have to empty it, i wanted to see how much it took out in a week,,., it will overflow by then lol. this thing is great!, my water is crystal clear!

Status
Not open for further replies.