My new frags PROPAGATING YUMA'S

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

El concistador

19 yuma's from 3 mom's.

pic's of the babies to follow:

If any interest on how to do this, I could do a step by step with pic's etc with my next moma's?

P

phi delt reefer

Re: My new frags

you just cut them or do you force them to have sex?  :p

E

El concistador

lol,

forced them open with a razor, hammer and and screw driver.

and time of course, I like to be gentle.

P

phi delt reefer

El concistador link said:
lol,

forced them open with a razor, hammer and and screw driver.

you sick b@stard.... :eek:

E

El concistador

Got to let the juice flow, as to not cause infection. slow and gentle with lots of time to heal.

E

El concistador

thanks

I was hoping someone would say yes.

I enjoy taking pic's, it gives me a challenge and a reason to use my camera.

E

El concistador

I'll take pic's of the babies in a few days,

Will update when I buy a new yuma.  Just need to find a new one to buy?

from there I will take a day by day and slice by slice pic and tutorial.

6 frags from 1  take multiple days to weeks to finish.

E

El concistador

The first step is to take a healthy yuma and slice it with this:

Picture342.jpg

Picture343.jpg

Slice horizontal in the middle of the yuma. Then slice horizontal slightly above the first cut, then slice horizontal slightly below the first cut, should be 3 slices total.

From there, turn the razor over, use the dull side to gouge out in the same spot as the 3 horizontal slices.  keep scoring/gouging the same area until a long piece of slime falls off, this is important.  let is fall and discard it.

You should be left with the thickness of at least a toonie in the cut. This will leave a clean thick cut in the yuma in which leaves the yuma split in half.

There should be a bald spot in the middle, where you can clearly see the rock and a clean perfect line.

Rinse really good. And place in med/high flow,  pick up every day afterwards and give a quick shake when healing.

Place back down in same spot to make sure no dead tissue infects healthy tissue and causes an infection.

Let heal for atleast 3-7 days. before proceeding to the next step.

on a side note

If you were to just slice the yuma  1 x, there is a great chance that it will just heal and grow back.

My experiences with yuma's  and imo:

They are extremely slow grower's, and when you slice up yuma's, they seem to dramatically increase their growth.

Still looking into this theory. I can see just in 4 day's that they are growing and healing like mad.

E

El concistador

If you don't feel safe with gouging with the razor upside down, I'm sure you can use a thin flat head screw driver to gouge after slicing 3 x

Seggsy

I have sliced shrooms a few times, and I do find that 3 of 4 times it just reheals into one again (and smaller while it heals).  I always thought that you should cut through the mouth, leaving a bit of mouth on each frag - wouldn't cutting out the middle completely remove the mouth???

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
ric's dont need a mouth to live.. you can just cut the whole ricordia off the rock and any tissue left from the foot will grow into a few new ones... in fact i would imagine if you cut a rick into 200 pieces that they all would heal up and you would have 200 ricordia's..

E

El concistador

Cutting a yuma anywhere, will just cause it to regrow a mouth at a later date.

They seem to survive long enough with out a mouth to heal and regrow a mouth.

usually you can get 8 pieces in the long run, but if you cut it 8 X right away the pieces may get infected and die.

I usually give it a few day's between each slicing to let it heal especially if it's a hard to get shroom.

but I'm a little impatient at times and slice them in 4, then let heal for 3 days, then slice in half again, for 8

E

El concistador

Here's a knife I use a lot.

IMG_0332.jpg

not so stainless, lol.

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Took about 1 year to get dull. Use to be razor sharp, I need a new one.

I use it for propagating most of the time just about everything.

Great for carving into live rock and under coral's to pop them off, sometimes with a bit of rock still attached.

Here's a few of the one's I sliced up.

IMG_0329.jpg

Healing pretty good.

Diy plug

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

fragdisk.jpg

Going to put a piece of yuma on it, hoping that the yuma will spread over the plug.

Since the plug is pushed into the gravel, it can't grow down ward's, only out ward's over the gravel.

Hoping that once it overhang's on to the gravel, it might give me the opportunity to slice the side's off occasionally, leaving behind an almost full size yuma.

E

El concistador

It's a money seed, waiting for it to sprout a few branch's.

The dime was just for the pic, to try to give an idea of the size of the plug, and in case it's hard to spot the plug.

Been removed within 5 minute's.

Status
Not open for further replies.