New Reef Safe Ich Treatment - Polyplab Medic

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have not tried it yet, but reading more on it now.

Medic is a highly effective treatment for external fish parasites present in both marine and freshwater environments. It contains an antibiotic component and a reef-safe oxidizing agent that work together to help eliminate parasites. It is particularly effective against:

• Marine Ich - Crytpocaryon irritans
  • Freshwater Ich - Ichthyophthirius multifiliis
  • Marine Velvet - Amyloodinium ocellatum
Features:
  • Completely reef-safe
  • Does not harm invertebrates
  • Does not harm nitrifying bacteria
  • Buffered to maintain physiological pH
How Medic works: Many external fish parasites have very similar life cycles. In particular, these parasites have an ""attached"" stage (trophonts), a ""matured"" stage (protomonts), a ""reproductive"" stage (tomonts), and a ""free-swimming"" stage (theronts/dinospores). Most available treatments do not target the free-swimming stage of the parasite which is one of the primary difficulties in dealing with these infections.

Research with ciliated protozoans has shown that the ""free-swimming"" stage of these parasites have remarkably consistent hatching times. We have engineered our medication to be most efficient during this stage.

Our medication targets the trophont stage of the parasite but is also very effective in disrupting the life cycle during the ""free-swimming"" stage. Thus, when using the medication, hobbyists should try to maintain the highest concentration of the medication during this ""free-swimming"" timeframe - when the oxidative component in the medication is particularly effective against theronts/dinospores.

Active Ingredients: Metronidazole, Peroxide acids.

30ml bottle will treat approximately 550G of system volume. Range: $39.99-$59.99USD

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have read some mixed reviews on this. But from reading the review, I have strong a feeling that most of those are based on people who do not know about the parasite and how it works. They seem to think this is a magic treatment. I will be interested down the road to have a bottle on hand

Instructions say one level scoop of Medic for every 50G of your system volume twice per day for at least 10 days. For me, that would be 8 a day for 10 days = 80 scoops. I would be interested to know approx how many scoops are in the bottle. I personally do not see 10 days being enough due to the life cycle of marine ich. I would also like to know the maximum length you can dose. For some it may tank multi treatments to actually rid the tank of ich, and from there, the recommended treatment would work.

heath

Distinguished Member
I agree this product is definitely a game changer for us tang lovers... I will be following along...
Did I understand the video/directions that you don't treat the tank until the little buggars drop off the fish...maybe that is were the treatment time is coming into play...
I will be following along.. curious on the price as well..

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Start when they appear on the fish as they fall off within 3-7 days. That way the 10 days will get anything falling off. Approx $50 CAD.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Stnbrgn

I've used it before on my old 90 and currently still have 3/4 of a bottle left as I wasn't fond of the treatment. It was harsh on some of my corals and brought two of my nems close to death after continued use (several days). Certain corals wouldn't open up but eventually did after treatment was finished. My experience with it was it didn't work, it may have helped somewhat yes but not fully cure. Just my experience with it.

heath

Distinguished Member
If it works it could be a great product, I wonder if there are different strains of ICH... $50. sounds a bit rich but, the average tang is around that price and most people (and you know who you are. lol) have more than one tang in their tank...

It will be interesting to read the reviews...

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
How is this a game changer when these are old medications that have been studied and in use for decades?

Further much of what was in the advertising is inaccurate....the free swimming stage is the only stage that most medications are effective against. Something that genuinely attacked the tomont (encysted) stage would be significant, but that stage is protected to survive all sorts of hardship including being ingested and passing through digestive systems. So anything that could attack that will not be kind to the unprotected tissues of corals and nems.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Which is why I said it could be a game changer. If it's claims are true, then people would not have to tear apart their entire tank to set up a med tank and leave DT fallow.

WiredWeasel

I've used polyp lab medic for 30 days continuously to their instructions in a small 10 gallon nano tank for 2 clownfish to test out their claims awhile back. I bought a bottle from SEAUMARINE for I think 40 or 50 bucks back when they were still around. I saw symptoms throughout the dosing period. At the end I just gave up and dunked them in copper and did TTM :<. I cant imagine dosing continuously for such a longer period in a larger system. It would be prohibitively expensive. Your mileage may vary but I did not have any success with it.

As for its reef safe claims, it seemed to have caused my scolymias to instantly barf up zooxanthellae within a day and I saw noticeable bleaching within a week. I also experienced similar effects to my anemones. Polyp extension of euphyllia was also not as good pre-dose. I was also dozing prazipro at the same time so it may have been a result of the medicine mixing? But my scientific knowledge of these substances is very limited, so I dont know whether or not it was was these 2 substances interacting with another doing harm to the corals.

WiredWeasel

I brew a lot of beer and reload ammunition so I had a fairly accurate digital scale. So I did the average weight of several scoops and scaled it down to my desired amounts at the time. I dont recall how much I was dosing.

Dan Cole

Torx...package says minimum dose 10 days, maximum 20 days. I don't see any indication of spoon size but it's tiny. I'll inquire and post back.

WiredWeasel

Yea I hate being inaccurate with dosing :\. Always annoyed me when I got a thing of seachem metroplex or what have you and all it comes with is a small spoon a couple of mm wide.

However, small sample size of 1 dude so I wouldn't discount this product yet. Could have been a weird interactions with prazipro and polyp lab medic or some other unforeseen factor/interaction....but yea super annoying small ass spoon.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Torx...package says minimum dose 10 days, maximum 20 days. I don't see any indication of spoon size but it's tiny. I'll inquire and post back.
Great info, thank you. Is there a min time before a second treatment?

Imo, it means it could be a good treatment if you know you do not have ich in your tank and you are using it to attack a new outbreak.

If ich is in your tank, then it will not work in one round as the life cycle of could mean that some ich could be in a stage unaffected by the medication. Those stages will end up starting the life cycle over again and would need additional treatments.

Obviously the best choice is to QT and medicate, not all can do that. This could be a secondary option, although may take several treatments.

Dan Cole

Twice a day and they suggest 10 am and 10 pm....the point I think is to dose when the fish aren't as active, for the reasons suggested in the video. My take just after lights out and before lights on.