Well found my next project

Love a challenge

Basically a 30” acrylic cube , approx 120 gallons with the sump

2ffa2e1984c31e320925e6490decc361.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gowyn

Thank you thank you

Have some ideas. Maybe lasers....haha

Stand is only 24” tall. Might built a taller one.
Thinking of a shelf inside

Damn thing is heavy, 3/4 acrylic front, 5/8 sides

Tank was a hospital tank believe it or not. Made by Midwest Custom Aquariums.

Little too deep for LPS though unless I light it with lasers....hmmm

Kman

Super Active Member
Pew pew! lol

A tank like that you can do some cool rockwork. Like a cave aquarium biotope. You can do a big cave with overhangs and the upper portion of the rock you can place some corals. You can find some pretty sweet fish that can be added that would lurk inside the cave. Add a pair of candy cane shrimp so the long feelers poke out into the open.

Copperkills

Thank you thank you

Have some ideas. Maybe lasers....haha

Stand is only 24” tall. Might built a taller one.
Thinking of a shelf inside

Damn thing is heavy, 3/4 acrylic front, 5/8 sides

Tank was a hospital tank believe it or not. Made by Midwest Custom Aquariums.

Little too deep for LPS though unless I light it with lasers....hmmm
Deep tanks are perfect for LPS

gowyn

Pew pew! lol

A tank like that you can do some cool rockwork. Like a cave aquarium biotope. You can do a big cave with overhangs and the upper portion of the rock you can place some corals. You can find some pretty sweet fish that can be added that would lurk inside the cave. Add a pair of candy cane shrimp so the long feelers poke out into the open.
That’s a good idea, thanks.

gowyn

So off to Mexico in a couple of days for a week. Lots of time to ponder the build.

Presently it has a centre weir overflow with 1.5” Durso and 1” return line running across the top to two bulkheads with returns.

have the same setup in my 60 and find the sump noise a little too much so thinking about making the 1.5 a full siphon, cutting the 1” down making it an emergency/bean animal then running 1” up the back to the two returns. I can add an optical or float sensor to the tank so if the unforeseen happens and it starts to overfill the Apex will shut down the pump.

Toyed with the idea of building a closed loop running off a COR15 but I think not. For the cost of a MP40 I could buy another COR15, drill some holes and plumb a nice loop. We’ll see. Seems a litttle too much...

That 1.5 at full siphon will move a rediculous amount of water (2100gph), way too much so seriously gated back. Maybe I should reduce it down to 1.25”....

Have an idea for scaping, please stand by.

Anyway, have most of the equipment already on my 60 so pretty good there. Might add the T5 hybrid to my AP700, plus a couple of bigger wavemakers and I should be good.

Anyway. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts pass them along.

When I get back I’m either adding a box to the stand to raise it or will build a 36” stand with skins. Next is polish and remove some minor scratches on the tank, then all hell breaks loose....

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
So off to Mexico in a couple of days for a week. Lots of time to ponder the build.

Presently it has a centre weir overflow with 1.5” Durso and 1” return line running across the top to two bulkheads with returns.

have the same setup in my 60 and find the sump noise a little too much so thinking about making the 1.5 a full siphon, cutting the 1” down making it an emergency/bean animal then running 1” up the back to the two returns. I can add an optical or float sensor to the tank so if the unforeseen happens and it starts to overfill the Apex will shut down the pump.

Toyed with the idea of building a closed loop running off a COR15 but I think not. For the cost of a MP40 I could buy another COR15, drill some holes and plumb a nice loop. We’ll see. Seems a litttle too much...

That 1.5 at full siphon will move a rediculous amount of water (2100gph), way too much so seriously gated back. Maybe I should reduce it down to 1.25”....

Have an idea for scaping, please stand by.

Anyway, have most of the equipment already on my 60 so pretty good there. Might add the T5 hybrid to my AP700, plus a couple of bigger wavemakers and I should be good.

Anyway. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts pass them along.

When I get back I’m either adding a box to the stand to raise it or will build a 36” stand with skins. Next is polish and remove some minor scratches on the tank, then all hell breaks loose....
Bring back sand for the tank... my tank has sand from Cuba and punta Cana in it :)

gowyn

So not much going on today. Decided to clean up the tank and sump

Removed all the old plumbing, will install new stuff

Looks like I might have room in the overflow to drill another bulkhead for a proper Bean Animal

Am going to build a 36” tall stand

Test filled and so far so good

3348969a323b9ed47d6d6bd0a215514a.jpg
9666b8911f4a94afff5aa909468fb191.jpg
e89ca1cf0c395dbdaab85882f24d9f21.jpg

Some minor scuffs and scratches, nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Should buff out really easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gowyn

Back from my Mexico holiday.

Guess what I’m doing today?

daa8caf4a29006a340d7c66877f2abfd.jpg

Those aren’t scratches, grid lines I drew on

gowyn

OK so that went pretty good. I’d say I’ve removed 98% of the scratches. Looks good.

I’ve modified the existing 1.5” Durso. Shortened it so it will be full siphon and turned the 1” return line into an emergency drain.

I’ll run 1.25” up the back of the tank for the for the two 1” returns on the top.

Have a question and would appreciate some input. Trying to decide about the stand. I know stand height is subjective. As it stands right now tank and stand is 58.5” high, given that the tank is approximately 30”. I can either keep the existing stand or build a taller one. I was thinking 36” but that would put the top of the tank at almost 6’.

Thoughts?
648abb1866a78a1d47185a3f6d646868.jpg