Next Project

Winks

Website Affiliate
The top of my tank and stand is 58" high. My tank is 22" deep. I know I'm a bit vertically challenged, but I have to get a ladder or a chair to get to the bottom of my tank. I personally would not go any taller.

Jewel

That is a beautiful tank sitting on top of a crappy stand, I sure hope you're going to skin it. Or maybe it's temporary,

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That is a beautiful tank sitting on top of a crappy stand, I sure hope you're going to skin it. Or maybe it's temporary,

That is an extremely well built extruded aluminum stand. I plan on doing a similar one when I redo my 120 using @Winks as a mentor. IIRC, your old tanks were on a similar stand.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Winks

Website Affiliate
I will 100% guarantee that if he wants to sell this stand then I will want it. I'm sure he will not be disappointed in it.

Copperkills

My momma told me that if I didn’t have anything nice to say then I shouldn’t say anything at all. Our mommas clearly didn’t know each other.

Is that you DrBlueThumb? Nahhh, can’t be.

Jewel

That certainly is not extruded aluminum, I've had extruded aluminum stands that are gorgeous, sorry if the truth hurts, it's ugly.

Jewel

Ok maybe it is extruded aluminum but those corner brackets are ugly, a better job should of been done on them for sure.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Jewels account should be locked out now. I deleted is last ignorant post and will work on the rest later. There are ways to say you do not like something without being ignorant and this isn't his first time. Please continue the thread on topic. If you have any questions about him please feel free to PM me

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

MrHermit85

I guess tank height depends on where it is. When I had my first tank it was where there were chairs so I had my tank at eye level while sitting. My next tank was in a hallway so I had it at standing eye level :) i had to use a stool for maintenance but it was great for viewing. But 30 inches is pretty darn deep so either way your sleeves are getting wet :)

gowyn

So after discussion with management, AKA the wife, I will be building a new stand.

She wants something similar to the one we already have.

I think I will split the difference and build it 30” tall. Ha just realized, I’m putting @ 30” cube on top of a 30” cube stand. D’oh!

Oh well. It’ll be skinned in white acrylic with white acrylic skirt around the top to contain light spillage. I’ll be using my AP700 with a AquaticLife retro T5.

gowyn

Quick update.

Just working on logistics, have to move live stock from existing tank out, move the new tank and stand to where the old tank is and plumb it.

As usual I’m going overboard....haha

Decided to put the sump directly below the tank in the basement! I like the idea of having lots of room and not having to crawl under a stand to make things fit. Because the sump will be in the basement I doubt my COR15 will be enough so I’m adding a COR20. Will have dual return pumps for redundancy. Nice thing about the COR20 unlike the COR15 it plugs directly into a 110v outlet so if the Apex ever went down I will still have circulation. Each pump will feed its own return but they will be Teed together for maintenance or failure. I will run a manifold off the COR20 too.

The sump will be a modified Under The Sea 48” sump.

efd649ce8685eac61bdccd9eb1f9174b.jpg

I will add a partition to the left compartment making it the Fuge. Water will come in both the left and right side of the sump (25 left/75% right) and returns will be in the centre

Anyway hope to do the move, transfers and plumbing early next week, sump will go in Thursday and hopefully tank up and running the following week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shamous113

Nice build, looking forward to seeing this all go together. What is the head height from the sump in the basement to the top of the tank, Looking at the flow curv for the COR20 and figuring a min heid height of 12'-14' (taking in to account for some 90deg elbows) the flow from that pump will be 500-600gph at best

gowyn

Thanks.

Yes that’s one of the reasons I’m going to be running the COR15 and COR20.

Aiming for 300-400 gph flow through the sump with both pumps running so should be fine.

Pretty straight run from basement to returns, maybe 8-9’ with a couple 45’s through 1.25” pipe.

gowyn

So got the old tank shutdown and moved out of the way. Transferred livestock into 32 Biocube and Fuge into a 14 Biocube.

Tank is sitting in new spot waiting for managements (wife) approval. Once attained I’ll hit the plumbing. Tomorrow’s project I hope

6202cc4baff04a954ce16371f34ce198.jpg
7226786fc8371b9518b1c2ddf4645ef7.jpg

gowyn

So stand built today, not much to look at yet, I don’t need frequent access to underneath. Anyway once tank is up and running I’ll skin with white acrylic and trim with walnut

64f10b086ad5685d6bfb47950a75e9ed.jpg

Back of tank repainted

9309bab82949830d66e264c8cb0c71d2.jpg

Tomorrow is all the plumbing and partition in sump for Fuge

Big bucket of dry rock ready to go in too....
ef8cb6c21305dbcd014795c90cb501aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gowyn

Because this tank is deeper than the last I’m going to add the AquaticLife T5 retro kit

Some people have been asking about it so I’ll try and document it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk