Nicks 29g Coralife Biocube

Nick James

Got the same tank. What you running in the chambers?

I have the aquatic life 115 and a finnex titanium heater in the first section. I made an eggcrate rack to keep the skimmer at the correct height.

Second chamber I have the intank media rack with filter pad on top and gfo under it, purigen and then carbon in their own bags. I made an upflow turf scrubber using the intank fuge rack, PVC, knitting screen, air pump and led light.

Third chamber is return pump, grounding probe and ATO sensor.

Albz

I have the aquatic life 115 and a finnex titanium heater in the first section. I made an eggcrate rack to keep the skimmer at the correct height.

Second chamber I have the intank media rack with filter pad on top and gfo under it, purigen and then carbon in their own bags. I made an upflow turf scrubber using the intank fuge rack, PVC, knitting screen, air pump and led light.

I have the same skimmerz .. its not skimming that well for me. Can i see the rack u made for it and the height... i got the intake fuge basket also but dont really know what to use in it lol so not using it..

Albz

This the basket i got. Maybe i can do something like that with this and stick it in my chamber

Attachments

• IMG_5462.JPG
    IMG_5462.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 57

Nick James

That's the same fuge basket. I cut a PVC pipe long enough to rest on the top green bars. I cut a slit in the PVC so I can pry it open enough to slide the knitting canvass screen in it. Zip ties hold it in place. Then the air tube is at the bottom creating bubbles to come up the screen. Easy to lift out when it's time. I'll probably lift it out in a week for the first "cleaning".

jamie1985

Got the same tank. What you running in the chambers?
I am running the same tank and I have skimmer in the first chamber, live rock rubble, chemipure elite and purigen in the second chamber and heater in the third chamber...what do you have?

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Albz

I am running the same tank and I have skimmer in the first chamber, live rock rubble, chemipure elite and purigen in the second chamber and heater in the third chamber...what do you have?

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Im running a aquatic 115 skimmer in first chamber and intake media basket in second with floss,purigen, and chemi elite but order d chemipure blue amd going to run that. Im thinking to make a fuge for culturing pods cause i want a mandarin fish lol

Albz

Looking for a new heater. I have one right now and its on max and still wont heat my water to where i want it... i want it to 78-79 and its at 75.. what do u recommend

SpongeAl

For comparison, I have two eheim 50w heaters in my system which totals 22.22 gallons display and sump.

100w total is barely enough for my system, if I run it on the warmer side closer to 80, the heaters would never shut off.

This isn't a terrible thing as my tank is in a air-conditioned house and temperature swings are very minimal, but a pair of 75w would recover from a water change faster and I don't think a single 75w could boil my system should one fail.

Now a biocube may run hotter then a tank with a separate sump, but in my case 4.5watts per gallon is barely adequate.

Nick James

http://www.thefragtank.ca/community/threads/biocube-29-up-flow-ats.19742/

This is the scrubber I built. I'll add update photos soon.

In my fight against GHA I have wiped out the algae on my scrubber... it is upstream of the media rack where I have been switching out phosban often to keep it fresh.

Also, my leopard Wrasse has started to eat flake, last night it had some nibbles and tonight it ate a lot. Didn't feed Mysis today, only flake and it gobbled it up.

Nick James

I added peroxide dosing to my GHA fight. That with manual removal appears to be working. The GHA has never looked healthy but now it is coming off the rock easier.

My leopard wrasse is eating pellet now too!

Nemo22

Looks great Nick, I really like your Coral selection as well. Are you having good luck with the chalice and Jack-o-lantern lepto? Been wanting to try one but have been under the impression they aren't easy.
What happened to your plan to add the Wyoming Clowns?

Nick James

Looks great Nick, I really like your Coral selection as well. Are you having good luck with the chalice and Jack-o-lantern lepto? Been wanting to try one but have been under the impression they aren't easy.
What happened to your plan to add the Wyoming Clowns?

Yup, the chalice is doing well, it's down in the back at the lowest point. It is about the diameter of a peach now. Started as a plum ;)

Lepto is doing well, it has grown but not fast enough! It was so small when I got it, which doesn't help. It is in the lowest possible spot and shielded from the light intentionally. I believe that leptos require the least amount of light of photosynthetic corals, so it's good to shade them!