Nicks 29g Coralife Biocube

Nick James

I also got what looks to me to be a green variety of Lepto. I got it from Gary and Krakens Corals. I'm not sure if he is sold on it being a lepto, but that's where I am leaning.

Ill try to get a better picture.. something I can't seem to do under these leds.

525D5565-707C-48EB-975B-B1BF41DB6552_zpseonuerje.jpg

Nick James

I am leaving for Florida today so I did some media replacement, hooked up my Jebao doser, and when I pulled out the ATS scrubber I was surprised to see a softball sized hunk of turf algae. I wasn't paying much attention to it the last two weeks so I was unaware of the growth taking place!

On a crappy note, I also discovered my "key lime" granulosa had rtn'd from the top down. Not sure why, I tested my parameters and everything was where it should be. 8.5dkh, 400 cal, 1400 mag. I run the ats light opposite main to maintain steady pH levels. It never has really looked happy in my tank and I was waiting for it to come around for months.

Some crappy iPhone pics!

Nick James

If you're cruising through london any time soon I can cut you a frag of the granulosa. I'm hacking away at the colony as I type this :)

That would be awesome!

I'm still waiting for my brother (lives in London) to come home for Christmas (he was supposed to grab the blue Acro)....

If he doesn't come around soon it will prob have to wait till fragfest.

Josh

looks really nice man. Quick Q, im also a bc29 guy and it appears we have the exact same stevesles retrofit, what do you run your led's at?

Nick James

Looking good buddy, what sps are those ?

Mmmm.. not sure! The last one with the leopard wrasse in it is the banana tabler I got from salty. The intense light drowns out the yellow in pictures. The one in the pic before that is an unknown tricolor I got from thang at last years fragfest. Red dragon above that.

Nick James

looks really nice man. Quick Q, im also a bc29 guy and it appears we have the exact same stevesles retrofit, what do you run your led's at?

I have been running them at 65% blue and 55% whites. I just turned the white down a bit to see how a couple things react. I have some pale corals and I want to figure out why. Based on how some corals are encrusting away from the light and not toward it makes me think they may be too high.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Try taking a pair of sunglasses and putting it in front of your iPhone camera and taking a pic then, or grab some filters, will help with the intense light and blues

Josh

I have been running them at 65% blue and 55% whites. I just turned the white down a bit to see how a couple things react. I have some pale corals and I want to figure out why. Based on how some corals are encrusting away from the light and not toward it makes me think they may be too high.

Ok, singing a very similar tune to what happened to me, i had mine at 70-80 and i bleached a few zoa's. I currently have mine at 35-40% blue 15-20% whites. all my corals got their colors back in a few months. I was hoping to raise it back up but it seems even at 60% those stevesleds put out alot of light.

After i got my light settled i spot fed my bleached zoa's (mostly came bleached btw) reef roids and their color came back pretty quick. Apparently when corals lose their color in most cases they stop growing from the light and rely 100% on filtration feeding through the water. Not sure how helpful that info will be but good luck. I got all my corals to bounce back however it took time.

If you are having phosphate/algae issues send me a PM i have a few DIY fixes i setup on mine that id be willing to share with you.

Last edited:

Nick James

I went through the algae issues already too.. I made an upflow algae turf scrubber in the middle chamber, started dosing vinegar and it seems to be under control now.

Nick James

Well, I had to hack up my mini red dragon colony that I have enjoyed great growth with over the past year. I noticed some stn at the base this week and it started to move up so I hacked it use and made three new frags plus the old base. We will see what happens..

All my tests are showing things are "normal". My alk is 9.5 which is a bit on the higher side. I want to get it back to 8. I tweaked my dower to dose a little less.

Hopefully I don't have any more stn/rtn events anytime soon..