Np All In One Biopellets? *testing Has Begun*

NateR

Anyone have experience with these? They look like a good choice when it comes to bio pellets or are there others people prefer?

Cheers

*EDIT* I am currently in the process of testing, follow along for my results!

Last edited:

Kman

Super Active Member
I have used NPX bio pellets. They work on smaller tanks with not to heavy a bio load. I still had to use phosphate remover when I used them. Somewhere in the fine print it says may take out phosphate in small amounts or something like that. Once you get up to the 180 gallon or more mark it didn't work so good under a heavy bio load.
NitraGuard works way better for me and all you need it an ait stone and air pump and the mesh bag that comes with it. You still have to run the phosphate remover.

With the NPX I had clumping problems all the time. Sometimes when I shut down the reactor to clean the screen I had a very hard time getting the pellets to unclump and start tumbling again.

I am sure if the tank is smaller and not a really heavy bio load they would work. But I never tested that as of yet so can't be for certain it would actually work.

Kman

Super Active Member
Oh ok. Cool concept though and would rock if it did work.

saltyair

Have you noticed phos as well as the nitrate control? Comparable to GFO?

Absolutely I started with 30ppm no3 and 1.3 po4 after my first 2 weeks (I did seed) no3 16 and po4 .7
After some flow adjustments and topping it up within 6 weeks my no3 was less than 5 and my po4 .03 all my sand algae was gone.
I was vinegar dosing but had stopped.
The last few weeks have been very trying due to skimmer overflowing multiple times throwing skim back into the tank. Took a po4 reading .06 surprising since the skimmer has not worked very well and overflowed 2x this week.

NateR

Wow! That's impressive.. I think I'm going to give them a try as well. If they do work that well for everyone then there onto something big!

NateR

Just ordered the pellets so hopefully will get them soon to start the process. Saltyair, how many ml do you use in your reactor? How much did you start off with?

saltyair

I started with 500 ml then added 200 ml every 2 weeks up to 1000ml - imo they must be seeded to help get them going - be sure to get them dialled in on the flow - they are bigger then normal pellets - it is a fine line between slow flow and clumping and fast flow and shedding quickly. Once they are dialled in they are awesome - haven't used Gfo since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Let us know how they work for you once you get them and post your before, during and after tank parameters here for us please. I am very interested to see the progression and to see how well they work for you.

NateR

So here's the beginning to the test: Starting with a 500 ml bag I purchased from reefsupplies.ca.

To start with I'm going to try 200 ml in my reactor but first they have to sit for 24-48 hours in RO/DI water.

The waiting continues..

saltyair

Looking forward to the progress - I always thought you soaked them in tank water not ro water. Not sure if it make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk