Np All In One Biopellets? *testing Has Begun*

NateR

The pellets are in! Now to give a background for the testing: my system is a 90 gallon with 20 gallon sump. I currently run rowaphos and carbon in a brs dual reactor and they were changed 3 weeks ago. Currently my levels are at: alk- 7dkh phos-.21 nitrate-10-15 ca-460 mg-1300 salinity 1.026 ph 8.1.

Attachments

• IMG_20150403_202416.jpg
    IMG_20150403_202416.jpg
    842.1 KB · Views: 43

NateR

Maintenence schedule is 10 gallon wc per week, kalkwasser in ato, and manual dosing of supplements as needed(minimal). Daily feeding of pellets/seaweed/frozen mysis. Hoping to see a reduction in phosphates is the ultimate goal of this, and even further to only need to run 1 reactor instead of 3. I will keep weekly updates of things and post any special findings! Feel free to follow or ask questions

camps23

Following as well. I'm limited in space in an AIO tank and will only be running a single reactor.

NateR

Update on parameters: Phosphate - 0.09 Nitrate-5 Alk - 6 dkh Ca -440 Ph-8.0. So far the pellets seem to be working very well! I do have troubles with them clumping however which makes it a PITA to maintain, I went to a larger pump but still having the issue. I have added 4 anthias and a powder blue tang since starting the reactor so even more bioload and it has still reduced. Will continue to update.

NateR

My recommendation for someone would be to purchase a narrower reactor with a higher flow pump (I'm using mj1200 and could still use more). So far they appear to be working for my setup and I have noticed an increase in skimmate.

Skim

Well hope you guys have better luck then I did with them. Did not much for my system except make a mess of my sump as bit's would come off the pellets and settle in the sump it took me a while to figure out where this settlement was coming from. I knew the tank was not kicking up dirt and there was no way it was fish poop. The water would have a tint of some sort to it ( just not that clean clear look ) so I looked around and found out about the same results that I have had so I have removed them and replaced with the NPX pellets and I will have to clean out the sump. I just could not believe the amount of fine dust like product was everywhere, bottom of skimmer was covered inside I was like if there is this much dirt in the system my skimmer should be going insane and it was not.

Hope you have better luck then I did.

Skim

theyangman

Distinguished Member
The pellets are in and are tumbling pretty good. If you had issues with some of the pellet sloughing off, I might consider running socks again to catch the debris. I'll wait and see, as I hate running socks personally, but if it becomes out of control I'll have no choice.

zoomster

I have used NPX bio pellets. They work on smaller tanks with not to heavy a bio load. I still had to use phosphate remover when I used them. Somewhere in the fine print it says may take out phosphate in small amounts or something like that. Once you get up to the 180 gallon or more mark it didn't work so good under a heavy bio load.
NitraGuard works way better for me and all you need it an ait stone and air pump and the mesh bag that comes with it. You still have to run the phosphate remover.

With the NPX I had clumping problems all the time. Sometimes when I shut down the reactor to clean the screen I had a very hard time getting the pellets to unclump and start tumbling again.

I am sure if the tank is smaller and not a really heavy bio load they would work. But I never tested that as of yet so can't be for certain it would actually work.

I have the same problem with my pellet reactor ( clumping and hard to restart )
I also found the mj 1200 that they recommend and provide with it is really no good for it. I went to a bit bigger, higher flow pump and have had no issues since.