Off to Mexico......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Well, I'm sitting here in the airport lounge......waiting to board my 10:30am flight to Mexico. Fingers crossed my reef tank will look the same when I return......
Anyone else worry as much as I do when going away on extended vacations?
Or I am the only pyscho.....as my wife calls it lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
There is definately always going to be something that worries us about our tanks. All the time and money we put into them.... Do you have someone close by that knows a thing or 2? Not that anythings going to go wrong though :) Enjoy mexico!

spyd

Super Active Member
Honestly, as Darryl pointed out to me once before and really stuck in my head... Would you give up going on holidays for a reef tank? Not a chance in hell. I enjoy my tank but I enjoy my holidays even more. Put the worry aside for the week and relax. Holidays are few and far between!!!

Mike, if you don't have someone watching your tank, an ATO and auto fish feeder is all you need for your holidays. If you want to go a little further, a UPS on your return pump is not a bad idea either.

harleymike

Super Active Member
spyd link said:
Honestly, as Darryl pointed out to me once before and really stuck in my head... Would you give up going on holidays for a reef tank? Not a chance in hell. I enjoy my tank but I enjoy my holidays even more. Put the worry aside for the week and relax. Holidays are few and far between!!!

Mike, if you don't have someone watching your tank, an ATO and auto fish feeder is all you need for your holidays. If you want to go a little further, a UPS on your return pump is not a bad idea either.

Ya im hopeing too have that stuff set up before i go. I hae two tanks, and am presently looking for a bigger tank too put both together. Problem is, my copper band is fed fozen brine shrimp everyday. So i need too find someone too feed him. LOL. Didnt think that through when i bouaght him. I am feeding flakes and other things when i throw the brine in, but he doesnt eat it.

AdamS

I used a humidifier float valve clamped to my sump when i went away. 10 mins before i left i realized the clamp was too tight and causing the valve to stick...wow im glad i caught that.

If you do set something up, give yourself a couple weeks to prove it first.

spyd

Super Active Member
Even if you could fine someone to feed your CB 2 or 3 times in a week is lots. Honestly, a fish can easily go a week without eating. I know it sounds bad, but, it's true. I've gone away on holidays where my Bengaii Cardinal didn't eat whatsoever and he was fine. Hungry is all get out when I got back, but, he was completely fine.

Heck, when I got my Leopard Wrasse, he buried himself for a month. I thought he was a goner and then he started ocming out. Now, he's healthy as can be. So feeding for a week is not a HUGE concern either.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Hey guys
It might be worth the peace of mind just to have someone drop in every couple of days, I just did this for a friend and I'm sure it made his holiday a little more relaxing just knowing that someone was popping in once in a while to feed and check to see that nothing was amiss.
It's not always easy to find someone to pop in and take a peek, but I think it would be worth the time just to show someone the  basics to avoid possible disaster.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
What were we talking about........ :)

ybasahem.jpg

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Anyone been snorkeling in the Mayan before? We are close to cancun at the azul sensatori and apparently there is the second largest reef in the world just a few mins out in the water right in front of us.......thinking about going later today......thoughts?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Hero link said:
Anyone been snorkeling in the Mayan before? We are close to cancun at the azul sensatori and apparently there is the second largest reef in the world just a few mins out in the water right in front of us.......thinking about going later today......thoughts?

Why are you even asking.... hello?!??!?! yes you should go. lol you should be on your way there right now. lol

---never been. but if its a reef go for sure.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Reef Hero link said:

Never been but grasp the opportunity, go diving !!! Get some pics lol

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Probably wont go diving.....was told that all the nice reef is snorkeling anyways because apparently it is very shallow. The price is right so we will likely be heading out this afternoon. How come we don't see any coral coming in from the Caribbean Sea? Is it all protected by CITES?

It's just soooo relaxing sitting out here in the sun by the water with drinks :) gonna have to get my lazy butt up lol

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Hero link said:
Probably wont go diving.....was told that all the nice reef is snorkeling anyways because apparently it is very shallow. The price is right so we will likely be heading out this afternoon. How come we don't see any coral coming in from the Caribbean Sea? Is it all protected by CITES?

It's just soooo relaxing sitting out here in the sun by the water with drinks :) gonna have to get my lazy butt up lol

+1 to snorkeling, everything just gets darker when you scuba dive. Remember to take photos or else we wont believe you :p

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I will do my best.....I will have to get a wp camera.....
I don't really post many pics of my tank so no one probably believes I have a reef tank either haha

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Ok, so it looks like we are going out to the reef to snorkel on Monday.....this gives me time to get prepared ;)
I have been told it is called the great Mayan barrier reef!
Our trip is completely booked up every day now with things to do.....
Tomorrow is trip to chichen itza..... One of the seven wonders of the world
Sunday is our friends wedding.....
Monday is snorkeling and trip into playa del Carmen
Tuesday is catamaran booze boat :)
Wednesday we fly back home :(

Status
Not open for further replies.